• Ballast Train on R3 Elwyn

• Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.
Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.

Moderator: AlexC

by SEPTAR3kid

I know theres an Amtrak Ballast Train that runs to the Glen Mills quarry. Does anyone have a general time frame of when they run. I hear it a lot at night but never know when it is scheduled to run. I'm assuming it runs as required but I'm not sure. Also does anyone have video or pictures of the Amtrak ballast train? Any info or pictures would be great, Thanks!
  by BuddSilverliner269

Hi r3 kid, that ballast train usually but not always runs after train 395 gets on the Line so in general I will say anytime after 11.I remember about 2 years ago, I was bringing up train 398 and I was stopped at lansdowne and it came flying by me.it was a nice sight
  by Quinn

From perhaps late October through early December, this train was heading out to Glen Mills between 7-8 PM, and returning in the 11 PM hour. R3 runs right behind my house, so I definitely feel it coming through.

I haven't been around at that hour the last two weeks to tell you that's still the case. This past night (wee hours of 12-18) it rolled out well after midnight - it was rather speedy, I actually got out of my chair- and returned approx 3 AM.
  by BuddSilverliner269

Hi Quinn. The stone train does not run to glen mills any earlier then what I stated. There is a job sign up time and it's not early. The diesel train you would hear coming by earlier in the pm is the gel-wash train which runs during the fall leaf season.the stone train generally doesn't make it on the line until sometime after 11pm
  by Quinn

The one I was referring to running earlier in the evening always had #602 on the tail end- that's the gel train? Thank you for setting me straight. :-D
  by BuddSilverliner269

Quinn wrote:The one I was referring to running earlier in the evening always had #602 on the tail end- that's the gel train? Thank you for setting me straight. :-D
Yes thats the Gel train. I wish Amtrak would run that stone train earlier in the evening so I can actually get decent video of the thing. Septa wont really allow it until the RRD is almost shut down. The 1 night when that train passed me when I was bringing train 398 back into Phlly, the stone train passed me at Lansdowne going west, doing decent speed and laying on the horn. The lead unit was a Geep and the 2nd unit was a P42 which isnt even allowed on the line because of weight. It sure was nice to see.Unfortunately, I work for Amtrak out of NYC and dont really know anyone in Philly to ask when this thing runs.
  by SEPTAR3kid

BuddSilverliner269 wrote:
Quinn wrote:The one I was referring to running earlier in the evening always had #602 on the tail end- that's the gel train? Thank you for setting me straight. :-D
Yes thats the Gel train. I wish Amtrak would run that stone train earlier in the evening so I can actually get decent video of the thing. Septa wont really allow it until the RRD is almost shut down. The 1 night when that train passed me when I was bringing train 398 back into Phlly, the stone train passed me at Lansdowne going west, doing decent speed and laying on the horn. The lead unit was a Geep and the 2nd unit was a P42 which isnt even allowed on the line because of weight. It sure was nice to see.Unfortunately, I work for Amtrak out of NYC and dont really know anyone in Philly to ask when this thing runs.
It had a P42? That's pretty rare, I would really like to get some decent video of it as well but since I don't have a good idea of when exactly it runs, I wouldnt want to be sitting down at the station in the middle of the night. Thanks though for the information!
  by Urban D Kaye

Finally caught up with the Amtrak ballast train on the R3. Westbound at Primos at about 20:40. Heard the return around 23:00. Power was a pair of MP15D's running push-pull.
AMTK_ghosttrain_3.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
  by BuddSilverliner269

Great pic. It makes the train look ghostly, or an artsy fartsy pic. :-D
  by Urban D Kaye

One more pic...tried to pan with the lead loco...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
  by CNJGeep

Correct me if I'm wrong, but that unit in the second pic isn't an MP15. It's either a one of Amtrak's kitbashed GP15s or a GP38.
  by chuchubob

CNJGeep wrote:Correct me if I'm wrong, but that unit in the second pic isn't an MP15. It's either a one of Amtrak's kitbashed GP15s or a GP38.
It's a Motive Power kitbash, hence the thought to call them MP15; Amtrak calls them GP15D.
  by Urban D Kaye

Photos from Wednesday, September 2nd, about 20:30 at Primos.
  by Quinn

In the last week or so I've seen the ballast train come through with 576 & 722 (together), and also 720.