• Ballast shoulder

• General discussion about railroad operations, related facilities, maps, and other resources.
General discussion about railroad operations, related facilities, maps, and other resources.

Moderator: Robert Paniagua

by DutchRailnut

Anyone know what ballast shoulder requirements are for 75 mph track??
how far should ballast exstend beyond the tie?

by Jtgshu

On NJT's North Jersey Coast Line, we have 80mph track, and its probably about 3 feet, of course some areas are more with fill and whatnot

by thebigc

According to my MW-4, ballast and sub-ballast cross sections are location specific and are shown in the track plans. If I come across any, I'll take a look-see.

by clearblock

I don't know for sure if there is any special recommendation for Class 4 & 5 track but the general AREMA ballast profile is for the ballast shoulder to be level for 6" beyond the end of the ties. The sloped potion of the ballast shoulder should be at a rate of 2:1 (2 horizontal to 1 vertical). So the total width of the sloped ballast would vary with local conditions that determine ballast depth.
  by PRR Trackman

Most roads have a 12" ballast shoulder from the end of the tie with a 2/1 slope from the 12" out...Amtrak has gone to 18".

by aprr454

UP standard for wood ties on class 5 (70mph) is 12" off the ties level. Then a 3:1 slope. For concrete ties on class 5 it's 18" level. Then a 3:1 slope.