• B&M predecessor photo identification

• Discussion relating to the pre-1983 B&M and MEC railroads. For current operations, please see the Pan Am Railways Forum.
Discussion relating to the pre-1983 B&M and MEC railroads. For current operations, please see the Pan Am Railways Forum.

Moderator: MEC407

by Leo Sullivan

Here are a couple more photos on which I need help. Both are Eastern RR pictures,
The first is #85 on a covered turntable, anyone know where?
The second is #55 "Conway" at an unknown location alleged to be Old Orchard.
Is this true? Does anyone alive now know? If so, it is a very basic terminal, even for
a seasonal branch.
Thanks,
LS
  by 3rdrail

The first one seems to be unusual in that it appears as if the turntable aligns with the main line adjacent with a station for passengers. I noticed what might be writing to the left of the headlight. By playing with various contrasts, could that be brought out ? The second one looks exactly as indicated, a beach, as dunes can be seen in the distance. The stop indicates a seasonal, secondary stop, so I would be surprised if it were Old Orchid's main station, but instead perhaps a stop a small distance away perhaps to give access to residents/beach house guests. Could be the Cape too, although that coach looks more like B&M/Eastern to me.
  by Leo Sullivan

No, no writing. at high resolution, it is just clapboards in shadow.
The Dld Orchard one might be the Eastern Branch station which was at the end of branch off the main line
at Scarborough and lasted a very short time, that is why I am very interested.
LS
  by 3rdrail

It seems as if the more you look at something like this, the more you see - or think that you see. What's that structure out there on the left at the end of that jetty on your last photo ? It looks like a possible lighthouse in the making or a fort, considering it's proximity to the shore. (??) Could we be looking at Cape Elizabeth during the heightening of Portland Head Light ? I would guess that our photographer has purposefully raised himself up so as to include that in his photo, as it's really just about the only thing out there other than H2O.
  by wally

looks like it could be from the Old Orchard Beach Line. Lindsell's Lost Railroads of Northern New England has a photo of a similarly spartan station (perhaps even more spartan) in the chapter on the OOBL (chapter 33).
  by Leo Sullivan

"Could be" seems about as good as could be hoped for. There is little other than legal
documentation about the line. The picture noted in Lindsell's book is on the Orchard Beach RR
which lasted much longer. It does however, confirm the appearance of the local topography
of OOB before it was built over and, it looks right. Thank you.
LS