• Australian tourist to visit NJ and PA

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

by njtmnrrbuff

On the R3 to Elwyn, you would see mostly silverliner mus and the loco sets run during the rush hour, and this applies to most of the other lines minus the Chestnut Hill East and West, Fox Chase, and Cynwyd. The three lines that I mentioned are all MUs.

by CarterB

Both Strasburg and the Railroad Museum of Pennsylvania across the road are both definately a must see for me! However, I'm unsure how I could get to Lancaster by car.

I hope I don't sound silly and clueless by asking this, although would the local Armish community be able to give me a ride down there by horse and buggy? For a good reasonable contribution/donation of course! I've seen the film "Witness" with Harrison Ford and have been curious ever since to see and explore the areas of Armish community.

Otherwise, what would be the minimum age to hire a car in the United States? I'm only 19 years of age, yet in Australia, the minimum age and license rating to drive motor vehicles solo is 17yrs. If worse come to worse, I'm contemplating on getting a taxi to Strasburg, but unsure how much that will cost.
You can easily make a nice day trip of it by taking Amtrak to Lancaster, and taking a taxicab on down to Strasburg and return by same. If you email the Museum, certain times of year there are also busses to and from. Email is: [email protected]

Most US rent-a-car companies won't rent to anyone under age 26. Not very likely that an Amishman will let you 'hitch' a ride.

by n01jd1

CarterB wrote:
Both Strasburg and the Railroad Museum of Pennsylvania across the road are both definately a must see for me! However, I'm unsure how I could get to Lancaster by car.

I hope I don't sound silly and clueless by asking this, although would the local Armish community be able to give me a ride down there by horse and buggy? For a good reasonable contribution/donation of course! I've seen the film "Witness" with Harrison Ford and have been curious ever since to see and explore the areas of Armish community.

Otherwise, what would be the minimum age to hire a car in the United States? I'm only 19 years of age, yet in Australia, the minimum age and license rating to drive motor vehicles solo is 17yrs. If worse come to worse, I'm contemplating on getting a taxi to Strasburg, but unsure how much that will cost.
You can easily make a nice day trip of it by taking Amtrak to Lancaster, and taking a taxicab on down to Strasburg and return by same. If you email the Museum, certain times of year there are also busses to and from. Email is: [email protected]

Most US rent-a-car companies won't rent to anyone under age 26. Not very likely that an Amishman will let you 'hitch' a ride.
You may also want to check and see what is required for you to be able to drive in the USA as I dont think American cops are going to accept an Austrailian drivers license. You may be required to get some sort of temporary license and take a crash course to familiarize yourself with American driving laws and traffic signs. Also keep in mind that if you can drive and get access to a car, we drive on the right side of the road here in the United States. It might take some getting used to and thats without having to deal with all the nuts on the road here in NJ and PA!!

by JoeBas

LandDownUnder wrote:One thing I noticed when looking at maps of the local area of Lindenwold and Clementon, I noticed a paralleling railroad line that goes through Clementon and following it all along East bound, it goes through Winslow Junction, it ends up on the Atlandtic Coast south of Ocean City and eventually to Cape May. Is this the Beesley Point you refer to? (My grandmother lives a few houses from the level crossing in Clementon).
Yes, it is, though at this point the farthest it goes is to the Beesley's Point power plant just west of Ocean City. Only a few hourses down from the level crossing, it should give you a good chance of seeing some local freight (since it looks like you'll get plenty of passenger).

by LandDownUnder

Howdy all

Over the course of the last few weeks, I've devised my itinerary over a period of three weeks, and will post further queries in their respective forums:

1) 4 days in total in 'general' railfanning around Philadelphia and the rest of the the SEPTA network. (Includes a trip to Atlantic City on NJ Transit)
2) 2 days spent in Strasburg, PA. Riding the Strasburg RR, and also visit the museum across the road, and Choo Choo barn. Also hopefully to score a ride in an Amish horse and cart.
3) A day to visit the Cape May Seashore Lines
4) A day to travel on the River Line, followed by spending the rest of it around Hoboken and Newark Terminals.
5) A total of 5 days in New York. Hopefully covering a trip on LIRR, Staten Island RR, a trip on a Metro North train, and general sightseeing in NYC. Also indulge in abit of model train shopping.
6) A day in Baltimore exclusively to visit the B&O Museum. Another additional day for general railfanning in Baltimore and Maryland.
7) A day in Washington DC and Virginia for general railfanning. (Covering MARC and VRE.
8) A day to visit the Greenberg Model Train Show. The one that's in Edison, New Jersey when I'm in the country.
9) A day trip to Boston. Flying up there by United Airlines, returning by Amtrak.

In the time I'm in the US, my overall goal is to photograph and ride as many trains and operators as I desire, in multiple states. In reviewing my plans, I've covered PATCO, SEPTA, NJ Transit, Amtrak, Metro-North- NYC Subway, Staten Island Railway, Long Island Railroad, MARC, VRE and Washington Metrorail. With Tourist Railroads and Museums, I only cover Strasburg RR (PA), Cape May Seashore Lines (NJ) and B&O Museum (MD).

Forgive me for continuing the questions, althought I have a few further ones:

1) What's the best travel ticket/pass I could get for travel on NJ Transit, for regular commutes from Lindenwold-30th Street?
2) How does one get from the end of the PATCO line in Philadelphia, to 30th Street station to connect with the Amtraks?
3) Where is Edison, and is it possible to get there by NJ Transit? (Even by bus).
4) Would there be much railroad interest in visiting Hoboken and Newark Terminal?

I have a few thousand other queries, although I'll post them in their respective state forums.

Thank you!

by peconicstation

Depending on your time available I would highly recommend a trip to the East End on the Long Island Railroad.

From Penn Station NYC you can ride to either the South Fork on the "Montauk Line", or the North Fork on the "Greenport Branch" of the "Ronkonkoma line". These are some of the longest trips you can take on any "commuter" rail line in the USA. Montauk is 117 miles from Penn
Station and Greenport is 96 miles. The eastern portions of these routes are very scenic, and you pass through many farms, and vineyards.
Montauk is a great fishing and beach town, and there is a great hidden Lobster Dock, Duyrea's, within easy walking distance of the station and a great spot for lunch.

www.lirr.org

As schedules on the East End branches can be limited (esp with Greenport), you can often use the private bus company Hampton Jitney
to fill in the gaps. The Jitney serves both the South and North Forks.

www.hamptonjitney.com

For a real unique ride the LIRR still operates a "name train" "The Cannonball", this super express runs Thursday and Friday afternoon from
the Hunterspoint Avenue Station in Queens (a GREAT railfan spot on it's own). This train carries The Cannonball Drumhead on the lead engine, and is no doubt the only regular passenger train in the USA to have this
at this time.

Have Fun and enjoy!

by korbermeister

LandDownUnder wrote: 3) Where is Edison, and is it possible to get there by NJ Transit? (Even by bus).

Thank you!
Edison, NJ is approx. 1.5hrs north of Philadelphia and 45min. south of NYC. Its a suburban community which lies on the Northeast Corridor rail line which connects Trenton, NJ with NYC and points inbetween and is serviced by NJ Transit.
From NYC you can catch a train from Penn Station and disembark at either Metropark, Metuchen or Edison (depending on where you're going in Edison (www.njtransit.com is the official website of NJ bus and rail service where you can find more info)). F
rom Philadelpia, I'd take Patco commuter line to Camdem, get of at Walter Rand Transportation Center station and get on the RiverLine Light Rail which for a nominal fee of $1.50 will take you 30 mi. north to Trenton, NJ. Then go across the street to the Trenton Train Station, get on a NJ Transit train and get off at either the Edison, Metuchen or Metropark train station.

by LandDownUnder

Thank you korbermeister and peconicstation.

Montauk was infact the main location I was really interested in visiting, judging by the map of the route's length and proximity to the coast.

As for Edison, I've just noted that the station before, New Brunswick is served by Amtrak. I will have an Amtrak North Eastern Rail America pass, so I'm guessing I'd be able to travel to NB, out of Philadelphia Penn and change there for an NJ Transit train to Edison?

by nick11a

LandDownUnder wrote:As for Edison, I've just noted that the station before, New Brunswick is served by Amtrak. I will have an Amtrak North Eastern Rail America pass, so I'm guessing I'd be able to travel to NB, out of Philadelphia Penn and change there for an NJ Transit train to Edison?
Yes, you can out of Philadelphia 30th. Just note, only 3 or 4 trains from Philly stop at New Brunswick and these are Keystone Service Trains from Harrisburg,PA. Make sure you board the right train otherwise you'll bypass New Brunswick quite quickly- say at 125 MPH. :-)

by LandDownUnder

Hello all

Thought I might make a few final enquiries.

I'm wanting to visit the Cape May Seashore Lines tourist Railroad out on the coast, and having gone onto their website, I found it to be incomplete and I couldn't get any contact details to check up on running days, schedules and times. Would anyone have the Cape May Seashore Lines' telephone contacts and email address I could contact and make enquiries?

A final note, I leave, in reality, is a cold and cloudy Sydney, for sunny Philadelphia on the 18th July. I'll probably start getting into the railfaning about a week after settling in. My plans on what I'm planning to do will be posted a few days before I intend on it.

I'd also like to see if I could invite a few members of these forums along as a guide to my railfanning. Any takers? :P My travels will be done on both weekdays and weekends, and plans can be moved around to suit anyone wishing to come along.

I've made posts on other forums, with queries relevant to that region/railroad, if anyone wishes to read on with interest:

LIRR - http://www.railroad.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=26630
Metro North - http://www.railroad.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=26639
NYC Subway - http://www.railroad.net/forums/viewtopi ... 36&start=0
MARC/VRE - http://www.railroad.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=26497
Teen Railroad Enthusiasts - http://www.railroad.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=26632
Clubs, Museums, Tourist Lines - http://www.railroad.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=26638

Really look forward to my time over there! :-D

by CJPat

Unfortunately, the CMSL is currently in an unknown distressed state although there are side reports of it opening up for operation starting in/around 22 July. Direct information from the CMSL has been unavailable up to now.

You can read further on the subject at this thread http://railroad.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=26233

It is definitely an odd subject and receiving some interesting reactions from various members of this forum.

by PRRTechFan

LandDownUnder wrote:
Otherwise, what would be the minimum age to hire a car in the United States? I'm only 19 years of age, yet in Australia, the minimum age and license rating to drive motor vehicles solo is 17yrs.
...unfortunately, what with the lawyers and liability insurance in this country, I do not believe that any car rental agency will rent to anyone under 25, whether US citizen or not...

At one time, a US citizen with a valid US driver's license could get an "international driver's license" through the US based AAA (American Automobile Association) that would be valid in most foreign countries. I believe the license was nothing more than the information from your existing license, plus some additional information; officially translated into several languages on a universally-accepted license form. The fee for this was insignificant. If such a license was valid overseas, then I would assume that you could probably get something similar that would be valid in the US; however, since 9/11, a lot of things have changed here when it comes to identification and credentials and such. Check with the US Consulate in your country; they should be able to help. If you are able to get such a document, you would be able to legally drive a car here; but it won't change your not being able to rent a car. But if you could borrow a car from whomever you know or are staying with over here, it would be legal for you to drive it!

As for Strasburg, I believe you can get a taxi, but I would inquire as to the cost first.... There might be some sort of bus or shuttle service on certain weekends. Call or e-mail the museum.

You asked about 30th Street Philadelphia to Lindenwold on NJ Transit... The only trains that run that exact route are the NJT Atlantic City line; schedules are available at the NJ Transit website. NJT at one time used to offer a "weekly" or a "10 trip" ticket, but I am not sure if they still do. You would have to purchase it from a ticket agent at a major station that still HAS ticket agents... Certainly at 30th Street. This route is not common to any other passenger rail in the State of New Jersey; but after it crosses the Delaware River into Pennsylvania, it joins the NEC to Philadelphia.

You may seriously want to consider PATCO if you will be in the Lindenwold or Collingswood area. They also offer some sort of multiple trip ticket; again only available at major stations where a ticket office is open. The PATCO route parallels the NJT Atlantic City line for several miles; but different track.

In Philadelphia, PATCO eventually runs west under Locust Street, ending at 15th & 16th street. Needless to say, 30th Street is about 15 blocks and a bridge away... But the PATCO stops in "Center City" are only a couple of blocks away from Independence Hall and the restored Reading Terminal. In the basement of Reading Terminal is a SEPTA station that is a result of extending the former PRR Suburban Station underground tracks (previously a "dead end" station) past the elevated shed of Reading Terminal (...also a "dead end" station) curving north and east and meeting up with the approach tracks to Reading. This connected two "terminal" SEPTA lines, one formerly PRR and one formerly Reading; with the unfortunate result that the Reading Terminal was closed...

...You can hop off PATCO, walk maybe 2-3 blocks, and hop on SEPTA and get to 30th Street easily. Philly residents more familiar with SEPTA might be able to suggest a better connection; but PATCO and SEPTA will offer much, much more frequent service than NJT.

If you make the transfer at the old Reading Terminal, make a slight detour on one trip... The old train shed has been preserved and turned into a convention center. Wander up from the station to the second floor, and if you are lucky and there is nothing scheduled for the day, you can walk through what was the old train shed. It might be a convention center today, but they did a marvelous job architecturally preserving the "feel" of the old station. It is really quite grand.... The floor of this great hall is inlaid with sets of silver "stripes" that reflect where the original rails were.

You also asked about Newark & Hoboken Stations. Newark is a major station; every NJT or Amtrak NEC train stops at Newark, and you will see a lot going on there because everything usually passes through on just 4 tracks. Most all westbound trains are on tracks 3 & 4, which share a common platform. Most every eastbound train to New York stops on track 1, where there is "across platform" access to PATH. An occasional eastbound train will come through on track 2 or more likely track "A". Track 2 also gives "across the platform" access to PATH whereas Track A requires stairs or escalator down to concourse level then stairs or escalator back up to PATH on the track 1 platform. Track 2 is frequently used for ACELA and Amtrak's long distance overnight trains where there are reserved sleeping accomodations. I guess this helps to keep the Amtrak commuters from boarding the "first class" trains. On one of your trips into NYC, get off at Newark, spend a half hour walking around the platforms and watching; make sure you take at least one pass throught the recently renovated waiting room, as well as the "Newark City Subway" in the basement; then go back to track 1 and hop the next train to New York!

Hoboken is accessible via PATH from New York (or from Newark Penn Station, for that matter...). If you take a ride on most any of the "northern" NJT routes, your train probably originates or terminates in Hoboken. The station is esentially "original"; not just a modern concrete and glass "box". The last time I was there, they were restoring the old main waiting room area. Don't know if that is complete or open to the public yet, but the station is still worth the visit.

When you get to New York City and decide to take the subway, try a ride on the "A" train to Far Rockaway (...NOT a "Lefferts Blvd" train!) The route becomes elevated out in Brooklyn, then turns and passes Aqueduct Racetrack, passes through Howard Beach, where you can change to the Kennedy Airport AirTrain (...which takes you to/thru the Airport, then up to the LIRR at Jamaica Station), then through a rather large wetlands/wildlife preservation area (in New York City? You bet!). You will cross the out-of-service North Channel swing bridge, the town of Broad Channel, then the recently renovated South Channel swing bridge across Jamaica Bay, through Hammel's Wye and terminating in Far Rockaway.

The route between Howard Beach and Far Rockaway is very scenic and very straight; NYCTA built a test track between North Channel bridge and Broad Channel station because it was the longest and straightest right-of-way on the system. The South Channel Bridge is the only moveable bridge on the entire New York Subway system, and I was involved with the renovation of the electrical system and bridge controls!

And if you are going to ride Amtrak anywhere along the NEC, take at least one trip on the Acela. While the highest speeds are only achieved north of New Haven, your next best bet is between New Brunswick and Trenton, which is part of the route between Philadelphia and New York. Right around Princeton Junction should be 125-135mph!

Enjoy!

by LandDownUnder

Hello all

Rightio, I'm now in the United States! Yesterday took my first ride on PATCO, SEPTA and NJ Transit. Encountered a delay on the way home on NJ Transit last night on the ACL line, which I've posted on the NJT Rail forum.

I'm not up to much today, however tomorrow, I'll be out and about on the SEPTA network exporing the Regional rail and Trolleys. On Sunday I'll be on a PCC-II Charter out of Elmwood depot, and starting Monday, I begin my North-East adventures on Amtrak :-D

by TAMR213

LandDown,

The Greenburg Show is in the New Jersey Expo Center, in Raritan Center Industrial Park, in Edison NJ. I would say it would be easiest to drive there (if possible), but if not, I belive there is an NJ Transit bus route from New Brunswick into Raritan Center. There are also some interesting rail ops in the Raritan Center Industrial Park, run by the Raritan Central Railway ("Railroadcarmover" could tell you more about this). When your at the show, feel free to stop by the TAMR set up, as we are at every Greenburg show at Edison!

by LandDownUnder

Hey Erik

The Greenburg show is definately on the Agenda, and you'll definately see me there!

Did you get my PM and email regarding the TAMR Convention in NJ?

Thanks