• atlas U33/36C shell removal

• Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.
Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.

Moderators: 3rdrail, stilson4283, Otto Vondrak

by el3625

I am sure someone has removed the shell off of an atlas u33/36c, so is there anything I should know before doing this? I do not want to break something. I have already looked at it and gently tried pulling upwards on it with some resistance. Just do not want to break something. Any help is appreciated.
Thanks,
Bruce
  by ApproachMedium

Remove the coupler pins. Discard them and gather some screws to replace them with. Once couplers are removed you will need to rock the shell off with care. The long hood section can usually be squeezed and lifted off the frame. The cab section may not like to come off, so what you can do is get a tiny flat screw driver and up in the truck recess is the clips holding the shell to the frame. Carefully push the clip in towards the centerline of the loco and the whole shell should come right off. There are no wires attached to it so you dont have to worry about pulling anything apart.

When you go to re-assemble if you really want to make this easier in case you need to take it apart again for maintance cut all of the tabs off the long hood and under the cab with an x-acto blade and attach the hood and walkway sections of the shell together internally with glue. Once the two pieces have set in glue overnight you can put the shell back on and just use Kadee coupler boxes held in with small machine screws to hold the shell on to the frame. You will have alot less chances of the shell coming apart off the frame this way and you will spend less time swearing it out when you take it apart next time.
  by el3625

Thanks alot for the detailed information. I do not want to bust anything up. I have two to do and did not want to try to find parts in case I broke something.
Thanks again!
Bruce
  by ApproachMedium

No problem sir enjoy! I have taken one too many of these apart between my U34Ch and my buddies slew of U33/U36 locos.