Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the past and present operations of the NYC Subway, PATH, and Staten Island Railway (SIRT).

Moderator: GirlOnTheTrain

#1568025  by Head-end View

I went to ride to Astoria from Queensboro Plaza today for the first time in about a year and was surprised to find all R-46's running on this line. :( Last time I rode they were running some other series with a front window view, can't remember what they were.

Are any other cars running on that line nowadays besides the R-46's? Maybe some we can see out of?
 #1568034  by dieciduej

For the B-Division (BMT & IND) the current fleet, R-46, -68, -143, -160 and -179, are all full width cab so the RFW is a thing of the past. But the A-Division (IRT) still has R-62s in service.
 #1568074  by R36 Combine Coach

There are no R62As with small cabs left. The single units on the 7 have been unitized and are now on the 6.
Cars on the shuttle have full cabs.
 #1568091  by Head-end View

The railfan window is not completely gone. On the R-142 and everything newer the full-width cab-door has some weird kind of tinted, distorted glass that does permit a reasonable view thru the cab in daylight, outside of the tunnels. I think I rode one of those last time, unless I caught an R-32 still in-service. I was wondering if any of those are currently operating on the Astoria routes, the N and W.
 #1568120  by dieciduej

The R-32s are all laid up at this time, most likely never to turn a wheel in revenue service again. Unless the R-179s have a meltdown. Since the Astoria Line is a B-Division the R-142/R-188s, A-Division size, can't play there in service.

As a slightly off-topic point it would be interesting, in the view of railfans, why not take a page from the CTA and how they shot in HD and 4K their Ride the Rails series on YouTube.
 #1568214  by Head-end View

I've watched those Chicago CTA videos and some of them are excellent. :-D