• Are train manufacturers missing Generation X?

• Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.
Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.

Moderators: 3rdrail, stilson4283, Otto Vondrak

by B44NYC

I had an interesting question asked me yesterday.

My neighbors' son who is 16 asked me about my interest in the hobby of trains. We went on to have a long conversation on how I got into the hobby, my interest in 1950s,1960's and some modern era trains that I have on my layout.

He's interested in the hobby and wants to model Amtrak, which only most kids his age knows. He mentioned he'd like to model the Silver Meteor because of his first trip to Florida.

I go to Walthers website to give him an idea what he might need to model that train. Everything is (Amfleet II's, Viewliners, Budd Diner, Heritage Baggage car) retired or out of stock!!

He mentioned he would like to model NJ Transit, because he grew up in Rahway NJ. Go to look again, no passenger cars.

Begrudguenly, he mentioned he would like to model UP....try explaning to a 16 year old that a decent passenger car goes for $50-60 dollars a piece.

My question is, if a kid wanted to get into the hobby (HO or any scale) and the only thing they see is what's operating on the road today and the model they are interested in is either:

1. Not available
2. Retired
3. Available but not affordable (brass and some plastic)
4. A kit that is too complicated for a kid to stay interested in to build

and with the older generation mostly modelling fallen flags, how is the hobby to survive and appeal to the next generation?
  by scottychaos

Not being an HO scale modeler, I cant comment much on your rolling stock questions..so I will leave that to others..
but as a person who is the dead-center of Generation X, (I am one day older than Jennifer Anniston! ;)
I have to ask:
what does this have to do with Generation-X?
are you aware that Gen-X'ers are now turning 40! ;)

Generation X were kids in the 70's, teenagers in the 80's, and the 20-somethings of the 90's..
we are now about 35 to 45..(the dates of "generations" are nebulous though..)
but I have always considered Gen-X to be born between 1965 (right after the baby boomers) to 1975..
Then you have Gen-Y and the Millenials..
(a current 16 year old probably too young to even be a Millenial..he belongs to whatever the next group is.)

From what I have seen, there seems to be a lot of modern road names..
and as for cost..he can so it the same way we all did it when we were teenagers..
we bought cheap, or used..ebay is a treaure trove of cheap trains..
just like always, affordable trains are out there, if you look for them..
When I was a Gen-X teenager in the 80's, I couldnt afford the Rivorsossi steam engines that cost an utterly out of reach $100..
so I did without..but I still had a nice Tyco, Mantua and Athern collection! ;)

Scot
  by B44NYC

scottychaos wrote:Not being an HO scale modeler, I cant comment much on your rolling stock questions..so I will leave that to others..
but as a person who is the dead-center of Generation X, (I am one day older than Jennifer Anniston! ;)
I have to ask:
what does this have to do with Generation-X?
are you aware that Gen-X'ers are now turning 40! ;)

(Generation X were kids in the 70's, teenagers in the 80's, and the 20-somethings of the 90's..
we are now nearly, or in, our early 40's..)

From what I have seen, there seems to be a lot of modern road names..
and as for cost..he can so it the same way we all did it when we were teenagers..
we bought cheap, or used..ebay is a treaure trove of cheap trains..
just like always, affordable trains are out there, if you look for them..
When I was a Gen-X teenager in the 80's, I couldnt afford the Rivorsossi steam engines that cost an utterly out of reach $100..
so I did without..but I still had a nice Tyco, Mantua and Athern collection! ;)

Scot
I'm also in my 40's and thank goodness I had a grandfather who got me interested in the hobby. But to the point I'm trying to make, Gen-X, Gen-Y or even the Millenials, that might want to get attracted into model railroading, there's not that much in modern equipment that would appeal to a younger crowd.

I just seen a Walthers SEPTA Horizon fleet cab car, which I condider "modern" equipment, originally $30, sold for over $110 on eBay.

Remember, we're in 2011, in the age of bells and whistles, and the "I need to have it now" crowd. All you to do is look at Apple's Ipad and watch the buzz it generates when a new model is coming out every 6 months.

And yes, the hobby has evolved with the intro of DCC, and yes there are some railroads & passenger cars that weren't available 10-15 years ago and are now available (alas finally a Walthers' stainless New Haven 64 seat coach, not prototypical, but it'll sell just the same)

But just as computers, game systems, and automobiles have evolved over the last 50 years, in my opinion the hobby (at least in HO) hasn't evolved to appeal to the younger generation for what might be seen operating on today's freight & commuter railroads for it to be the most popular scale to model.
  by green_elite_cab

B44NYC wrote:I had an interesting question asked me yesterday.

My neighbors' son who is 16 asked me about my interest in the hobby of trains. We went on to have a long conversation on how I got into the hobby, my interest in 1950s,1960's and some modern era trains that I have on my layout.

He's interested in the hobby and wants to model Amtrak, which only most kids his age knows. He mentioned he'd like to model the Silver Meteor because of his first trip to Florida.

I go to Walthers website to give him an idea what he might need to model that train. Everything is (Amfleet II's, Viewliners, Budd Diner, Heritage Baggage car) retired or out of stock!!

He mentioned he would like to model NJ Transit, because he grew up in Rahway NJ. Go to look again, no passenger cars.

Begrudguenly, he mentioned he would like to model UP....try explaning to a 16 year old that a decent passenger car goes for $50-60 dollars a piece.

My question is, if a kid wanted to get into the hobby (HO or any scale) and the only thing they see is what's operating on the road today and the model they are interested in is either:

1. Not available
2. Retired

and with the older generation mostly modelling fallen flags, how is the hobby to survive and appeal to the next generation?
I can certainly relate to your neighbor. I've got about 5 more years than him, but I model just about everything you've mentioned, and i started modeling the Silver Meteor at about the same time. It took me three years to build that train! If i could give any advice, GO TO TRAIN SHOWS. its the only place deals can be had anymore. Ironically, it was these prices that drove me down to HO from Lionel O in the first place!

That said, I'm afraid I must disagree with you, at least in part.

Assuming we're talking HO scale....

Most Up-To-Date freight trains can be had if one wants one. One could easily build a fairly representative roster of locomotives by any Class 1 and many smaller railroads. I can't think of any major model of GP that isn't currently available. Freight cars are a non issue, I think there have to be thousands of modern themed freight cars available in the Walthers Catalog alone. You can't go wrong modeling modern day freight. Be it UP, CSX, or BNSF and NS, you can probably find a model of it as long as its not some one-off battery powered locomotive.

Passenger trains on the other hand are not very popular. There are many reasons for this;

1.) You need wide curves just to run them.
2.)You need even more space to operate them in a realistic or interesting manner
3.)Even if you have the space, Passenger train operations do not appear to appeal most people.

That is only the purely model related reasons passenger trains are not popular.

Starting in 1971 with Amtrak and continuing through out the 70s and into 1983, Nearly every passenger operation in the country lost it's identity, replaced by names such as the Controversial Amtrak, and sterile, empty acronyms like SEPTA, NJT, MBTA or MARC, devoid of any history or romance.

Amtrak slowly but surely repainted everything, and then further replaced the variety of budd, pullman, and ACF cars with identical Amfleets. You could not longer tell many trains apart by their consists. Some trains ceased to exist alltogether or became husks of what they were.

Those sterile, colorless acronym-railroads began supplementing their fleet with similarly sterile and identical equipment. Given names like "Comet", "Highliner", or "Shoreliner", these cars did little to inspire the feeling of the old heavy weights and streamliners they replaced.

According to nearly every book, dvd, and first person account I've seen, this is when people REALLY stopped caring about passenger trains. Only now have many of them earned their place in History, and perhaps gained a little of the old long lost romance in the eyes of a younger generation that did not have the biases that many of the older crowd still hold.

In the modern day, passenger trains aren't really that big in the grand scheme of things. How prominent is Amtrak throughout the nation? It may be the only intercity passenger service, but It only follows a few routes. While commuter railroads are certainly all over the northeast (from North Carolina to Massachusetts), and radiate from places like Chicago like Metra, and parallel the West coast in the form of Metrolink and Amtrak California, You don't really see to many commuter trains. Though you could probably give me a whole list of commuter railroads outside of the places I mentioned, just how prominent are they really in the grand scheme of the US rail network? My guess is that most young people haven't been exposed to passenger trains.

All of these things make passenger trains unattractive to most modelers, resulting in their "early" retirements by Walthers. Its a real shame, since a few of us would like to have some passenger service on our layouts.

I haven't even addressed things like specific commuter models, since things like Jersey Arrows, GP40FH-2s, and Rapid Transit cars will probably ALWAYS be the Domain of Resin kits that fit ALL of your criteria (not available, retired, expensive, pain to put together).

TL;DR- The problem isn't that your neighbor's son can't find any reasonable models of something he is familiar with. His problem is that he wants to model passenger trains.
  by B44NYC

green_elite_cab wrote:
B44NYC wrote:I had an interesting question asked me yesterday.

1. Not available
2. Retired

I can certainly relate to your neighbor. I've got about 5 more years than him, but I model just about everything you've mentioned, and i started modeling the Silver Meteor at about the same time. It took me three years to build that train! If i could give any advice, GO TO TRAIN SHOWS. its the only place deals can be had anymore. Ironically, it was these prices that drove me down to HO from Lionel O in the first place!

I started modelling HO and the prices are going to drive me down to N.....LOL

That said, I'm afraid I must disagree with you, at least in part.

Assuming we're talking HO scale....

Most Up-To-Date freight trains can be had if one wants one. One could easily build a fairly representative roster of locomotives by any Class 1 and many smaller railroads. I can't think of any major model of GP that isn't currently available. Freight cars are a non issue, I think there have to be thousands of modern themed freight cars available in the Walthers Catalog alone. You can't go wrong modeling modern day freight. Be it UP, CSX, or BNSF and NS, you can probably find a model of it as long as its not some one-off battery powered locomotive.

Very true...and this is what is very enduring about the hobby, at least on the freight railroad side, that you can pick and choose and necessarily be regionally specific.

Passenger trains on the other hand are not very popular. There are many reasons for this;

1.) You need wide curves just to run them.
2.)You need even more space to operate them in a realistic or interesting manner
3.)Even if you have the space, Passenger train operations do not appear to appeal most people.

That is only the purely model related reasons passenger trains are not popular.

I would agree on the first 2 points, the last one however after attending most train shows (Greenburg, Timonium, Springfield) and watching sales on eBay, passenger cars are just as popular as freight cars. The pricing, the accuracy of the detail (Walthers new 64 seat New Haven coach comes to mind) and the absence of certain railroads past or present in RTR is what chases some people away. Look at Rapido's Osgood Bradley RTR passenger cars....they flew off the shelves. I'll even add MTH's new line of passenger cars will be a hit for the fact they are marketing certain railroads that either were not done correctly are appealed to a niche market. The Delaware & Hudson, Erie Lackawanna and Erie 5 car sets also flew off the shelves at my LHS.

But the Branchline passenger cars, IMO are excellent kits, if you have time to kill and patience. But if your trying to appeal to a younger generation that are always on the go and with short attention spans, is not the way to go to appeal to a broader young market.

Starting in 1971 with Amtrak and continuing through out the 70s and into 1983, Nearly every passenger operation in the country lost it's identity, replaced by names such as the Controversial Amtrak, and sterile, empty acronyms like SEPTA, NJT, MBTA or MARC, devoid of any history or romance.

Amtrak slowly but surely repainted everything, and then further replaced the variety of budd, pullman, and ACF cars with identical Amfleets. You could not longer tell many trains apart by their consists. Some trains ceased to exist alltogether or became husks of what they were.

Those sterile, colorless acronym-railroads began supplementing their fleet with similarly sterile and identical equipment. Given names like "Comet", "Highliner", or "Shoreliner", these cars did little to inspire the feeling of the old heavy weights and streamliners they replaced.

The same could be said about NYC subway system....I miss pearing over the edge of the platform and trying to guess which fleet of subway cars were going to pop out of the tunnel...an R32, R40, a freshly painted redbird...etc...Now everything is stainless, and the void of personality.

According to nearly every book, dvd, and first person account I've seen, this is when people REALLY stopped caring about passenger trains. Only now have many of them earned their place in History, and perhaps gained a little of the old long lost romance in the eyes of a younger generation that did not have the biases that many of the older crowd still hold.

In the modern day, passenger trains aren't really that big in the grand scheme of things. How prominent is Amtrak throughout the nation? It may be the only intercity passenger service, but It only follows a few routes. While commuter railroads are certainly all over the northeast (from North Carolina to Massachusetts), and radiate from places like Chicago like Metra, and parallel the West coast in the form of Metrolink and Amtrak California, You don't really see to many commuter trains. Though you could probably give me a whole list of commuter railroads outside of the places I mentioned, just how prominent are they really in the grand scheme of the US rail network? My guess is that most young people haven't been exposed to passenger trains.

Your right on that part. My nephew who lives on the Delmarva Peninsula and is 6, never seen a locomotive or a passenger train before because there is no freight lines or passenger service where he lives. I got a big laugh after I took him to 30th St Station for the first time during the summer and he didn't know "where people were going on the big tubes with lights"

All of these things make passenger trains unattractive to most modelers, resulting in their "early" retirements by Walthers. Its a real shame, since a few of us would like to have some passenger service on our layouts.

Since Walthers holds the license to market some of Amtrak's passenger cars (Horizon, Amfleet II's, Heritage Baggage & Diner, Viewliner) in their current paint scheme, I guess Walthers is taking a "wait and see" approach on Amtrak HO products. I would have to guess the biggest industry surprise would be if they released Amfleets with the same stainless finish as the Superliners...But I have to wonder how many new younger modellers that were considering getting into HO are now more likely considering N scale (Kato Amtrak sets were selling pretty well at my LHS and are affordable for beginners) because of the "early" retirements.

I haven't even addressed things like specific commuter models, since things like Jersey Arrows, GP40FH-2s, and Rapid Transit cars will probably ALWAYS be the Domain of Resin kits that fit ALL of your criteria (not available, retired, expensive, pain to put together).

TL;DR- The problem isn't that your neighbor's son can't find any reasonable models of something he is familiar with. His problem is that he wants to model passenger trains.
  by green_elite_cab

B44NYC wrote: I started modelling HO and the prices are going to drive me down to N.....LOL
yup, i've given N scale some thought myself, but everything i like to model is nearly nonexistent in N, so I'm not willing to make the jump!
Very true...and this is what is very enduring about the hobby, at least on the freight railroad side, that you can pick and choose and necessarily be regionally specific.
This is what bugs me about the general lack of Amtrak equipment. I think Amtrak visits most states, and few are going to know which amfleets are assigned to the NEC and which are for the middle of nowhere. Amtrak itself, other than the electrified zone, is pretty much the same where ever you go. You would think, at the very least, that an amfleet car should be reasonably available, it is the basic passenger train coach!
I would agree on the first 2 points, the last one however after attending most train shows (Greenburg, Timonium, Springfield) and watching sales on eBay, passenger cars are just as popular as freight cars. The pricing, the accuracy of the detail (Walthers new 64 seat New Haven coach comes to mind) and the absence of certain railroads past or present in RTR is what chases some people away. Look at Rapido's Osgood Bradley RTR passenger cars....they flew off the shelves. I'll even add MTH's new line of passenger cars will be a hit for the fact they are marketing certain railroads that either were not done correctly are appealed to a niche market. The Delaware & Hudson, Erie Lackawanna and Erie 5 car sets also flew off the shelves at my LHS.
While those are entirely ligitimate points, Both from talking to manufacturers and with members of various train clubs, their input paints a different picture. Many of these passenger trains themselves are popular. Lets take the Silver Meteor, which started the thread. The answer is right there in your neighbor's post. He wanted the model the train "because of his first trip to Florida."
But the Branchline passenger cars, IMO are excellent kits, if you have time to kill and patience. But if your trying to appeal to a younger generation that are always on the go and with short attention spans, is not the way to go to appeal to a broader young market.
I can't say that my expirence directly reflects that. In a strange way, having an RTR freight car is like having a video game that was won for you. Some "simple" assembly, something that uses only a few common tools, and MAYBE some glue (reducing glue-> reduces possiblity of mess up= happy camper). Though I'm certainly happy with my RTR cars, most of the time i buy them, then they sit on my layout or my shelf and thats the end of it. Something in the spirit of the old Athearn kits would be great, and i think Accuratil still sells the kits.

Still, there are pretty much no "modern" passenger car kits. Walthers was the last to sell them in kit form. THe only ones left are the expensive kinds of kits. Some of those IHP kits are INCREDIBLY simple, like the SIlverliner III and Jersey Arrow I kits. a 10 year old could probably build them if they could afford them!
The same could be said about NYC subway system....I miss pearing over the edge of the platform and trying to guess which fleet of subway cars were going to pop out of the tunnel...an R32, R40, a freshly painted redbird...etc...Now everything is stainless, and the void of personality.
Yes, but they will soon gain personality, I think. Its something that is earned through time.
Your right on that part. My nephew who lives on the Delmarva Peninsula and is 6, never seen a locomotive or a passenger train before because there is no freight lines or passenger service where he lives. I got a big laugh after I took him to 30th St Station for the first time during the summer and he didn't know "where people were going on the big tubes with lights"
There is one branch that goes down the Delmarva Peninsula with a few spurs to various towns (and probably most of those are abandoned now), but from what I understand there is very little train traffic of any kind south of the northern industrial area of delaware. there are plenty of farm silos and a Kfraft foods factory, thats about it.
Since Walthers holds the license to market some of Amtrak's passenger cars (Horizon, Amfleet II's, Heritage Baggage & Diner, Viewliner) in their current paint scheme, I guess Walthers is taking a "wait and see" approach on Amtrak HO products. I would have to guess the biggest industry surprise would be if they released Amfleets with the same stainless finish as the Superliners...But I have to wonder how many new younger modellers that were considering getting into HO are now more likely considering N scale (Kato Amtrak sets were selling pretty well at my LHS and are affordable for beginners) because of the "early" retirements.
Actually, i don't think stainless Amfleets is a surprise at all. I'm willing to bet thats exactly whats going to happen, with a glorius price increase to go with it.

I do like those Kato N-scale passenger sets. If I hade to go N, those Kato passenger kits would probably be one of my first purchases. Still, N scale doesn't appear to be that much cheaper, and in some ways its more limited than HO.
  by Desertdweller

I guess I'm having trouble seeing what the actual problem is here. Is it necessary to have first-hand experience with what you choose to model? If so, then why do people still model steam operations? For that matter, why do people model WWII armor?

One of the greatest attractions of modeling is the ability to re-create what is no more in existence. Sure, I rode some classic trains in the years before AMTRAK, and some of those appear on my model railroad. But so do many more that I have not ridden, but now wish I had.

N-scale is a great scale to model passenger operations. There IS a lot of stuff available to model trains of the classic streamliner era. Walthers, Con-Cor, Kato all offer the makings of the classic streamliners. What they don't offer, you can generally kitbash. After all, there were only three major manufacturers of streamlined cars, and virtually all the classic streamliners used variations of off-the-shelf designs. Streamliner paint schemes were generally pretty simple to paint at home. A lot of railroads used basic stainless steel cars, sometimes with painted letterboards or pier panels.

If you want variety, model a big city passenger terminal that was served by a number of railroads. In the 50's and early 60's, you would find both streamlined and heavyweight cars, sometimes mixed in the same trains. You may even find some steam locomotives still in service. There is plenty of opportunity to do research into train consists and schedules. Almost all N-scale passenger cars come with interior detail. Do a little research and paint your car interiors to match the prototype.

I would suggest attending model railroad shows and swap meets to find out-of-production items. You can often find some good used items at good prices, too.
The three model manufacturers I named all offer boxed sets of matching streamlined equipment. Some, like Kato and Walthers, offer complete prototypical trains with car names and numbers that match cars actually used on the trains. Con-Cor and Rapido offer only slightly more generic sets in matched color schemes. Most cars are also available individually.

There is no reason to be stuck with the generic passenger trains of today. There are real modeling opportunities out there if you just partake of what is available.

Les
  by Otto Vondrak

Hobby's not dying, sorry to disappoint. Hobby is growing, manufacturers are making better and more varied models, and there are more manufacturers than before. Just because teenagers are not entering award-winning models or building basement empires does not mean the hobby is dying. People enter this hobby seriously around the time they get their first house, their career settled, and their home life routine. Until then, you're just playing with trains. And playing with trains is cool, too. You buy the same supplies whether or not you're building a basement empire or just enjoy futzing around with a 4x8 or running trains under the christmas tree.

Niche hobby segments are always difficult to serve... Niche markets are usually populated by modelers who ENJOY the challenge of building what they want, or they know they will have to build most of what they want because it isn't available commercially.

-otto-
  by green_elite_cab

Desertdweller wrote:I guess I'm having trouble seeing what the actual problem is here. Is it necessary to have first-hand experience with what you choose to model? If so, then why do people still model steam operations? For that matter, why do people model WWII armor?
Basically, the issue was that there was a percieved lack of Model Railroad products geared towards recent prototypes. It was hypothesized that the new generation of modelers, who have been inspired by what they see in their everyday lives, may want to go that route.

Its not so much that you have to have first hand expirience, but firsthand expirience leaves a greater impression than just some picture. Oh, sure, I can watch DVDs with GG1s and E44s and Metroliners, and it might impress me, but riding an NJ transit train, or standing trackside as a CSX freight rumbles by West Trenton, will probably inspire a far more powerful feeling.
One of the greatest attractions of modeling is the ability to re-create what is no more in existence. Sure, I rode some classic trains in the years before AMTRAK, and some of those appear on my model railroad. But so do many more that I have not ridden, but now wish I had.
I certainly agree, its why I model Conrail in 1979. However, in a way, you answered your own question. Even though you haven't rode all those trains, you WISH you did. Even though you didn't ride them, they made an impression on you when they were still going. You have gained an appreciation for that time before 1971.

To people like me and others born in the late 80s, early 90s, We are far from those old days, and we have the greatest appreciation for what we see in front of us. We can see, hear, smell, and feel it. Thats not to say that a few aren't brought in by "grandpa's trains" or some other factors, but in general, those moments that inspire us to be interested in such things is when we first see it.

Indeed, my interest in modeling Conrail as I do now was because i had originally wanted to model my local area, and after having seen Conrail locomotives and liked the paint scheme, I picked up a book and started reading about it. Seeing the trains at Metropark on the Northeast Corridor, and seeing an E60MA right before retirement prompted me to want to learn more about that as well, and led me to my interest in the Northeast corridor. Those current day exposures and a desire to learn more is the only reason my interests leaned back towards the past.

Some will be content to go further in time, others will be happy with what they see. Either way, the Current day is the start point on the pathway to elsewhere in the hobby.
N-scale is a great scale to model passenger operations. There IS a lot of stuff available to model trains of the classic streamliner era. Walthers, Con-Cor, Kato all offer the makings of the classic streamliners. What they don't offer, you can generally kitbash. After all, there were only three major manufacturers of streamlined cars, and virtually all the classic streamliners used variations of off-the-shelf designs. Streamliner paint schemes were generally pretty simple to paint at home. A lot of railroads used basic stainless steel cars, sometimes with painted letterboards or pier panels.

If you want variety, model a big city passenger terminal that was served by a number of railroads. In the 50's and early 60's, you would find both streamlined and heavyweight cars, sometimes mixed in the same trains. You may even find some steam locomotives still in service. There is plenty of opportunity to do research into train consists and schedules. Almost all N-scale passenger cars come with interior detail. Do a little research and paint your car interiors to match the prototype....

...There is no reason to be stuck with the generic passenger trains of today. There are real modeling opportunities out ther if you just partake of what is available.
All of your points are valid, and all of them miss the mark completely.

The issue is, unlike in freight modeling, where I can get today's big GE or genset switcher and be content, modern passenger cars are frequently sold out and retired, making it difficult to obtain them. For a young person (or indeed, any person) inspired by today's Silver Meteor, or a Modern Empire Builder, It can be incredibly difficult to find the cars and locomotives needed to put together such a train.

Yes, there are plenty of Streamliners out there. Yes, you can make an interesting train with them, and even run interesting operations with them. It doesn't matter. If streamliners aren't your thing, then what do you do?

No one is complaining because they are "stuck" with today's passenger trains. It is precisely the opposite, We are stuck with yesterday's streamliners. I would also take a closer look at those "generic" moden passenger trains. there is more variety than you think.

I would suggest attending model railroad shows and swap meets to find out-of-production items. You can often find some good used items at good prices, too.
The three model manufacturers I named all offer boxed sets of matching streamlined equipment. Some, like Kato and Walthers, offer complete prototypical trains with car names and numbers that match cars actually used on the trains. Con-Cor and Rapido offer only slightly more generic sets in matched color schemes. Most cars are also available individually.

There is no reason to be stuck with the generic passenger trains of today. There are real modeling opportunities out there if you just partake of what is available.

Les
On the part of shows, I can agree. They are the best place to find anything. Kato in fact DOES sell a modern passenger set with Viewliners, Amfleet IIs, and maybe a few other cars in the mix.
Last edited by green_elite_cab on Sun Oct 09, 2011 1:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
  by green_elite_cab

Otto Vondrak wrote:Hobby's not dying, sorry to disappoint. Hobby is growing, manufacturers are making better and more varied models, and there are more manufacturers than before. Just because teenagers are not entering award-winning models or building basement empires does not mean the hobby is dying. People enter this hobby seriously around the time they get their first house, their career settled, and their home life routine. Until then, you're just playing with trains. And playing with trains is cool, too. You buy the same supplies whether or not you're building a basement empire or just enjoy futzing around with a 4x8 or running trains under the christmas tree.

Niche hobby segments are always difficult to serve... Niche markets are usually populated by modelers who ENJOY the challenge of building what they want, or they know they will have to build most of what they want because it isn't available commercially.

-otto-

Its not really a matter of the hobby dying. While the original focus of the thread was that teenagers and such may feel discouraged when the trains they want to model are unavailable, We've found that for the most part, current day trains are available as freight models.

However, modern passenger models are sporadically available, and that people who want to model modern passenger trains (which, at this site at least, appear to all by young persons) are having a frustrating time doing it. I'm not talking about things like Jersey Arrows and Silverliners.

I would hardly call Amtrak a "nich hobby segment". Yet, Amfleets, Viewliners, Horizon Fleets, and other amtrak cars can be a difficult to find. When regularly available, a teenager can afford to buy these cars, so it is not really a question of being priced out either.
  by Desertdweller

I can't really address the availability (or lack thereof) of modern AMTRAK equipment. I do see P-42's and Superliner equipment available in both N and HO. Out here in the hinterland, that is all we see anyway. And I can tell you from personal experience, the AMTRAK Empire Builder, California Zephyr, Sunset Limited, and City of New Orleans look a heck of a lot like each other both inside and out.

Heritage Fleet equipment is available in the form of Con-Cor smoothside and fluted-side equipment in N-scale. They are painted in the Phase One scheme, maybe too old for some of the modelers mentioned here. Of course, F-40's are available too from a couple builders.

If the new modelers are looking for freight equipment, there is good availability in both scales. Virtually every locomotive model I have operated or ridden in is available in N and HO scales, including the ES-44's. My personal favorites to operate, the GE Dash-9 series, are readily available, as are SD-70's.

Trains I admired but never rode? Indeed! On my model railroad you will find passenger trains of the MP, RI, UP, AT&SF, and D&RGW. As well as CB&Q and C&S. I focused on passenger operations because it was different from the freight trains I drove for a living. I really enjoy riding passenger trains, but the closest I ever came to running them in real life was pulling trains with occupied business cars in them.

If you want to go back 40 years (has it really been that long?) you could model start-up AMTRAK and never need an AMTRAK painted piece of equipment. I recall it was several months before AMTRAK painted equipment began showing up in Minnesota. The locomotives were painted before the cars were. I have to admit, the Phase One loco scheme was pretty handsome, especially when applied to E and F units. It even looked good on the SDP-40F's. E's and F's in AMTRAK colors are still available, I believe.

It may be difficult for younger modelers to appreciate the individuality of streamliner trains in the days when the railroads operated them. Not only did trains of one railroad differ from those of other railroads, but individuality existed between trains of the same railroad. At one time, SP had four different color schemes applied to the exteriors of trains operating on different routes. Trains that had dedicated cars assigned to them had distinctive interior appointments and dining car menus.
One would never mistake the interior of a Hiawatha coach for the interior of a Zephyr car, although both were excellent.

Les
  by Otto Vondrak

green_elite_cab wrote: While the original focus of the thread was that teenagers and such may feel discouraged when the trains they want to model are unavailable, We've found that for the most part, current day trains are available as freight models.
Teenagers are not the target demographic for the model manufacturers! They don't have the budget to support the hobby like someone who works a career job and has discretionary income! and a layout! and a basement with a roof over it for that layout to reside in!
  by green_elite_cab

Otto Vondrak wrote:
green_elite_cab wrote: While the original focus of the thread was that teenagers and such may feel discouraged when the trains they want to model are unavailable, We've found that for the most part, current day trains are available as freight models.
Teenagers are not the target demographic for the model manufacturers! They don't have the budget to support the hobby like someone who works a career job and has discretionary income! and a layout! and a basement with a roof over it for that layout to reside in!
I was merely clarifying what the issue was. To clarify further, there was the perception that "Up-to-Date" trains were not available, which is not necessarily the case.

Even so, i disagree. Bachmann definitely markets to the younger crowd. Atlas Trainman and other similar low-budget product lines are available. Any teenager that can afford to pick up the latest video games can afford a locomotive. Speaking of the cost of video games, my 4x8 layout cost me less than $50 to build the benchwork, and its still sturdy as ever.

The problem is that you have kids who want "more", like Broadway Limited, or MTH, or Genesis. In the case of Railroad.net, we have a huge crowd of Commuter modelers. When it comes to these makers and product lines, I agree with you. No kid has $270+ to spend on sound equipped locomotives and niche things, unless they're lucky enough to get a high paying job (relative to the usual entry level jobs).

If a teen uses his money wisely, there is no reason that he can't participate actively in the hobby.
  by Otto Vondrak

green_elite_cab wrote:In the case of Railroad.net, we have a huge crowd of Commuter modelers.
I beg to differ. I see a lot of young kids who wish to collect models of the same kinds of trains that they see running past their houses. They are not "modelers." If anything, they are upset that a) the models they want either don't exist or b) if they do exist they cost a lot of acquire. If they were actually "modelers" they would figure out how to built the models that they want, or otherwise acquire them.

It's a pretty important distinction.

-otto-
  by green_elite_cab

Otto Vondrak wrote:
I beg to differ. I see a lot of young kids who wish to collect models of the same kinds of trains that they see running past their houses. They are not "modelers."

I don't know, plenty of them appear to already have several MUs or Commuter cars on their rosters. Simply wishing you had a model of the trains you see by your house doesn't exclude you from being a model railroader. Neither does collecting the rolling stock. Its all part of the overall hobby.
If anything, they are upset that a) the models they want either don't exist or b) if they do exist they cost a lot of acquire.
What does this have to do with them not being model railroaders. At some level, this statement is true for all model railroaders. One or two prototypes that they can't get doesn't negate them from being true model railroaders.
If they were actually "modelers" they would figure out how to built the models that they want, or otherwise acquire them.

It's a pretty important distinction.

-otto-
[/quote]

So basically, you're telling me, that if I can't figure out how to build a particular highly detailed commuter car from scratch (or any prototype for that matter), or that if i can't just walk into a store and buy any model I want, then i'm not a model railroader?

Do you see why that doesn't make sense? By your definition, almost no one is a model railroader. I know very few people who can either build everything or buy everything. Just because you can't drop $200 bucks at will does not exclude you from being a model railroader. Being new to the hobby and learning the skills does not exclude you from being a model railroader either.

There are other parts of the hobby as well, like scenery and track work. A couple of the young people are at the very least starting the nucleus of these things.

I bet next you're going to tell me if a layout isn't a pure point-to-point layout then its not a real model railroad.

Where did you get this narrow view from?