• Any "American Flyer" coaches left?

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

by EDM5970

I'm helping a friend do some research on LV passenger trains, and we're wondering if there are any American Flyer cars left around in museums or on tourist lines. Also, are there any sites on the web that have photos?

(Since the cars were largely a New England fixture -and were built there-, I feel that this as an appropriate place to ask about these cars.)

by shadyjay

There are a total of 3 ex-NH American Flyer coaches that I know of located on sidings alongside the Valley RR in Essex and Old Saybrook. They are in rough shape unfortunetly. Here's a shot of one of them I found on NERAIL Photo Archive:

http://photos.nerail.org/showpic/?photo ... ANew_Haven

Of the two in OSB, one was in PC green and the other in McGinnis colors. The one in Essex is also in McGinnis colors. All are in rough shape with broken windows, rust, and trashed interiors. Unfortunetly, it is unlikely that the trio will ever see passengers again.

-Jay Hogan

by riffian

Not really New England related, but all 10 of the Cotton Belt cars went into San Francisco commute service and were retired and scrapped at Solano Steel in the early 60s.
  by H.F.Malone

C'mon, El, you shoulda called me foist.....

Just the three at RMNE, one B&M'er now at Shelburne Falls Trolley Mus in MA, one (maybe more?) LIRR work cars. All are not great, due to the ravages of time.
  by ATK

There are at least two Flyer cars that I know of on LIRR. One sits in Long Island City next to the East River tunnels, the other sits in Hoban Yard adjacent to the Hillside Facility. Both I believe are ex-B&M.

by jayrmli

Both of the LIRR American Flyer cars are ex-B&M. They were used as bar cars in the 1970's and converted to alcohol spray cars afterward. They've been out of service for a number of years and are in fairly rough shape. A few more (also ex-B&M) were in their Hillside yard. Windows were plated over and were in worse shape than the other two.

Jay

by shadyjay

shadyjay wrote:There are a total of 3 ex-NH American Flyer coaches that I know of located on sidings alongside the Valley RR in Essex and Old Saybrook.
Make that 2. I ventured down to Essex today and found one of the trio in the main yard, along with 4 or 5 other pieces of historic rolling stock, ready to be cut up. Its spring cleaning time apparently. Given that one American Flyer out of the trio is departing, the fate of the other 2 is uncertain even more now. I posted some pictures online of the one in Essex. Go to the NERail photo archive and search by contributor (Jay Hogan).

-JH