• Any chance of NYSW keeping some of the CSX detour traffic?

• Discussion related to New York, Susquehanna & Western operations past and present. Also includes some discussion related to Deleware Otsego owned and operated shortlines. Official web site can be found here: NYSW.COM.
Discussion related to New York, Susquehanna & Western operations past and present. Also includes some discussion related to Deleware Otsego owned and operated shortlines. Official web site can be found here: NYSW.COM.

Moderators: GOLDEN-ARM, NJ Vike

by Idiot Railfan

It seems the NYSW is handling this detour traffic pretty well. In light of that, is there any chance CSX might reconsider moving a couple trains back to the NYSW on a regular basis?

by cjvrr

Well in the short term CSX had that huge maintenance program set to take place on the River Line. They were supposed to shift at least one train over to the NYS&W for that.

I would think once that maintenance is complete and the new sidings on the River Line open for service, the need to use the NYS&W just won't be there.

Chris

by washingtonsecondary

From what I understand, the NYS&W didn't have a great track record (pardon the pun) the last couple of times CSX detoured trains. CSX was annoyed that NYS&W was tacking on their own freight to their detours, plus a few times there were trains outlawed on the teir for 1 or 2 days at a time.
  by SecaucusJunction

Idiot Railfan wrote:It seems the NYSW is handling this detour traffic pretty well. In light of that, is there any chance CSX might reconsider moving a couple trains back to the NYSW on a regular basis?

I wouldnt hold my breath.

by Steve F45

if they were to reconsider what would be run over the nysw? would it be csx or nysw power?

by conrail_engineer

CSX has power? I thought all their power was from Helms Leasing.

Answer to the question: Seems the political fallout from the Crash Smash eXplode debacle in Oneida, is more than CSX Liability-Control and CSX Graft counted on. Freight still isn't moving; which suggests to me the FRA boys are taking a long, hard look at the Water Level Route.

It may be hard times for the CSX in the days ahead. That detour traffic may be there a while.

by rcbsd45

NYSW has power????? Last I looked, two of their units(3664 and 3634) were idling away in Selkirk after a round trip on the river line, and they have three or four units at AMI in Danville, NY(near Rochester, I believe) for overhaul/rebuilding. Not sure what the complete status is on the ALCo/MLW units, as i've been hearing conflicting reports/rumors. But I would almost bet the traffic there now will revert to CSX once the Wreck near Oneida is cleaned up and track reopened.....

by SecaucusJunction

Some of these trains have taken over 24 hours to get from Syracuse to NJ... I dont think CSX is going to be all that impressed with that one.

by sallenparks

Some have gone the way of the NS.Right now as I type a CSX loaded Auto sits in Emira Heights been there all day came in yesterday morning ES44DC 5247 and SD70MAC 4803.

by trainfreak

Some of these trains have taken over 24 hours to get from Syracuse to NJ... I dont think CSX is going to be all that impressed with that one.
I'm not trying to start anything here...but. Some trains may have taken over 24 hours to get from Syracuse to Little Ferry but given the circumstances I think they did a damn good job. The railroad went from two road trains per day on a regular "schedule" to four a day at anytime. I saw and chased many of the trains being that I was on spring break and the efforts and collaboration I saw out there amazed me. Local crews had a major part in this also. WS2 and LF2 to be exact. One instance is when WS2 took Q111 to Sparrowbush, NY then swapped crews with the Q162 who had BH1 on board. After this the WS2 took the Q162 south/east to Sparta Junction where there was Q165 waiting in the hole with the LF2 crew on board. WS2 came in and got off the Q162 since they were getting close to the hours of service law. LF2 then took the Q162 the rest of the way east while a road crew boarded the Q165 to take it west. So give them some credit. They moved the trains with all they had available to them and if it may have taken a while so be it.

by Erie-Lackawanna

trainfreak wrote:So give them some credit. They moved the trains with all they had available to them and if it may have taken a while so be it.
Exactly. And considering CSX's options, 24 hours is a helluva lot better than...oh, right - they're still not running trains east of Syracuse, almost 6 days later. Susie-Q deserves a lot of credit and no complaining.

Jim

by washingtonsecondary

If the line is re-open, then I guess the chase is off....

by SecaucusJunction

I caught an eastbound autorack detour last night in Wyckoff. Was this the last detour?