• Any cabooses left in operations?

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

by Reeds Pass

:P any cabooses left in operations ? I sincerely doubt it, but what a thought!
Maine Eastern passenger rail flies by here almost every morning at 9:20am, blatting it's horn- great sound...wish I could set up a cam to show it-usually 6-7 passenger cars full.
:-D

by MEC407

Montreal Maine & Atlantic has three or four of them! But they are for remote control operations in the yards. You won't see them bringing up the rear of a road freight, unfortunately.

by CN9634

The MMA has 4 VB's in operation. I'm actually going on the trip to Rockland the 29th, so I'll be sure to get photos and stuff for y'all!

by emd_16645

The New Brunswick Southern operates a caboose on a local out of St. Stephens.

by tom18287

if i owned a RR company, i think i'd put them on the end unmanned just for nostalgic purposes. doesnt realy hurt anything.

by Otto Vondrak

I think we failed to answer the original question- are there any cabooses in use on Guilford?

-otto-

by MEC407

Guilford no longer exists. :wink:

Pan Am does not have any cabooses anymore. They used to have one down in the Boston area, used as a platform for the conductor to stand on during lengthy reverse moves, but I'm 99% certain it's gone.

by cpf354

MEC407 wrote:Guilford no longer exists. :wink:

Pan Am does not have any cabooses anymore. They used to have one down in the Boston area, used as a platform for the conductor to stand on during lengthy reverse moves, but I'm 99% certain it's gone.
Yep, it is gone. Anyone know where it wound up?

by pennsy

Hi All,

You would be hard pressed to see a long freight with a caboose on its tail these days. However, for a short line, with a freight of half a dozen cars or so, not too terribly hard to find. One can easily find cabeese being used at RR and trolley museums. Orange Empire RR museum has had at least half a dozen cabeese in use for quite some time now. Mostly Santa Fe and Union Pacific. Nice collection of cupolas and bay windows. And most importantly, you are invited to ride in these cabeese. All Aboard !!!

by Dick H

The NH Northcoast has a caboose, NHN 100. However, it was "customized" by its previous owner with large windows and fancy seating and other goodies and only sees service on special occasions, such as for state and local officials during foliage season and the like.

They did own an ex-MEC caboose for several years in the 90's, but sold it to some line in Ohio.

Dick

by mick

B&M 491, 493, were used in Ayer and Fitchburg
Last edited by mick on Tue Apr 15, 2008 2:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

by cabooser

I saw an bright orange caboose(didn't get the number) a few times on the ipswich /newburyport line recently. It was behind 3 uncovered hoppers bringing material to the beverly/salem bridge construction site. Pretty cool.

by robc

MM&A does indeed have 4 Cabooses in remote operation. Next upgrade maybe to install wireless hi speed in them ofr consists handling

by robc

I can vouch on this, Cabooses make great platforms to install and operate Remote Control Locomotive systems on.

by b&m 1566

MEC407 wrote:Guilford no longer exists. :wink:

Was that the one they used for the Water Town Branch? I remember seeing a few pictures of the train on the water town branch with a Caboose leading the way.

BTW shouldn't the forum name be Pan Am Railways without the Guilford Rail Systems in it, if Guilford doesn't exist? :wink: