• Any Buffalo To Syracuse Videos?

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

by SimTrains

Does anybody know if any videos were made on cab rides, or railfan trips from Buffalo, NY to any point east? Maybe conrail from frontier yard to syracuse? Or maybe NS from Buffalo to binghamton? All the video's I see out there are from Buffalo going west. Anyone know of anything?

by sd80mac

Highball production have tape from buf to syr and another tape from syr to selkirk. they were shot in early 90's

they were good to watch...

ken

by charlie6017

Well............I am glad you asked! I am just putting the finishing touches on a non-narrated video I created myself, from Bayview NY to DeWitt Yard in Syracuse. My footage was shot from around April 2003 until March 2004. The latter part was shot with my new Canon MiniDV and my earlier footage was w/ a Sharp VHS. You will notice the difference. The DVD version is a 2 DVD set and the VHS version will be one tape. She runs about 1 hr 45 min. Email me with any questions if you wish. [email protected] ..........it's in my profile. I'm pretty happy with the way it turned out! Charlie
Last edited by charlie6017 on Sun Jul 11, 2004 11:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

by fglk

How about Conrail Hot Spots East from Penterex video??

by charlie6017

The video I made is not a cab ride or anything, but I did film trackside from Bayview to DeWitt yard. The places I filmed from in between were Frontier Yard, Wende, Batavia, South Byron, Bergen, Churchville, CP382, Coldwater, CP373, Rochester Yard, Fairport, Lyons, Clyde, Weedsport, and Carousel Mall and is 1:45 long. I also finished "Springtime on the Southern Tier", which covers Bison Yard to Binghamton. That's 42 minutes long and I'm happy with how it turned out.....I think I did a better job with that one in terms of using my editing software.

by charlie6017

BTW, both are available on VHS or DVD
Charlie

by CP169

I made a whole bunch of Syracuse-Schenectady-Syracuse tapes from the back end of trains 64, 63 and 283 back in '95-97 timeframe. I also made 3 tapes from back of 63 and 64 Syracuse-Rochester-Syracuse. Used a Sony Hi8 camcorder. I was able to record to SVHS one trip in reverse from Fonda to Utica and it came out pretty good except I can't figure how to synchonize the sound. I had the scanner attached to the camcorder to pick up the detectors-they sound strange in reverse. Now that I got a much faster computer, I'm going to try to reverse the tapes right to it and then to DVD.

by charlie6017

CP169 wrote:I made a whole bunch of Syracuse-Schenectady-Syracuse tapes from the back end of trains 64, 63 and 283 back in '95-97 timeframe. I also made 3 tapes from back of 63 and 64 Syracuse-Rochester-Syracuse. Used a Sony Hi8 camcorder. I was able to record to SVHS one trip in reverse from Fonda to Utica and it came out pretty good except I can't figure how to synchonize the sound. I had the scanner attached to the camcorder to pick up the detectors-they sound strange in reverse. Now that I got a much faster computer, I'm going to try to reverse the tapes right to it and then to DVD.
CP169, That would be pretty cool..........just get yourself a video editing program for your PC and you can d/load your video to your computer via either USB2 or 1394EEEE "firewire". That would be a cool movie.

by CP169

Yeah, I only use firewire 400 for my video transfers. Never used USB-never will. BTW, all these original videos are rock solid steady. Used a special "magic arm" camera mount which was attached to the rear door of the car. Glad I did it before 9/11. The conductors thought it was strange but it was OK with most of them. I've got just about everything I need to produce a HQ video but I may have to use the coal burning SVHS machine to initially reverse the tape. It plays backward with no lines in the picture. On the other hand, there must be a program out there to do this proceedure. That would be a cleaner capture.

by charlie6017

Yeah, you definitely have to do this........I would be interested in one. I never have used a Hi-8. I use "firewire" also and up to now have had only good luck with it. Fat chance of getting a conductor to let you tape like that now :(

There are video editing systems out for cleaner captures, but anything good does'nt come cheaply and you have to have a LOT of drive space because downloading video at the highest quality setting eats hard drive space at a phenomenal rate!

by CP169

Charlie, send me your email address at [email protected] and I'll make up a short mpeg of some 3 train action at St. Johnsville in '95 and send it to you to sample. Eastbound and westbound freights heading at each other on Tk2 and our train #64 east on track 1. If you can get over the color of the signals(red), it's pretty good. That is , if you have Roadrunner or DSL. BTW, I've got 2 Lacie external 120gb firewire hard drives and 1 internal 200 gb hard drive . So , I've got enough space to do at least a couple of hours of AVI .

by WANF-11--->Chaser

sd80mac wrote:Highball production have tape from buf to syr and another tape from syr to selkirk. they were shot in early 90's

they were good to watch...

ken
They're titled "Conrail's Chicago Line Vol. 1 and Vol 2"

I have them on VHS. Nice to put on every year or so. Very enjoyable.

by charlie6017

I emailed ya, CP169...............

by Otto Vondrak

I'm interested in all of this tech talk. I used to do a lot of video editing in high school on some professional decks dontated by the local cable company. I've got tapes of raw footage that someday may become a rilfan video... someday!

-otto-

by sd80mac

WANF-11--->Chaser wrote:
They're titled "Conrail's Chicago Line Vol. 1 and Vol 2"

I have them on VHS. Nice to put on every year or so. Very enjoyable.
Thank you!!! I thought my comment went "deaf" on readers' eyes!

How about that BIG TIME SMOKER by one loco dragging a coal train at DeWitt yard???

ken