Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

by Noel Weaver

It looks like Connecticut is going to spend more money to do another
study of the branch lines. Here is a link from an article in this morning's
Waterbury paper.

Noel Weaver

http://www.rep-am.com/story.php?id=10217

by Clean Cab

CDOT loves to spend money on endless studies!!! This one takes the cake though. Electrifying the Waterbury Branch? CDOT has spent over 20 years trying to get a cab signal system on the Danbury Branch with nothing to show for it.

To even think of stringing wires to Waterbury is sheer insanity. The solution to the Waterbury problems is to use engines that aren't 40 years old, and haven't had the guts run out of them. CDOT had a chance to purchase several Amtrak F-40PH's but opted not to and instead leased the thoroughly undependable P-40s. The FL-9s, F-10s and FL-9Ms are way past their prime and are clearly not up to the task.

Why not try something really radical and BUY NEW ENGINES????????
  by Tom Curtin

I agree, this is a useless activity. The record has consistently shown there's enough political support to continue subsidizing the Waterbury line.

Also, it's a rather comical pieice of journalism for the writer of the article to stick a totally out of place, irrelevant, comment about New Canaan in the first sentence of the article. What the hell is that about?

by Nester

I think the entire article was horribly written by a person who only has the slightest idea how rail service works.

If what he says is true (about the demographics of Waterbury riders) then adding direct service to at least Stamford and possibly GCT as well should attract people who work in those markets to buy homes in the area.

by Trainer

"These are people who are not going to high-paying jobs in New York City," Cameron said. "They rely on the train to see their loved ones in Bridgeport and points beyond. I think train service is vital on the Waterbury Branch."

That's fine, but is that a reason to be contemplating double tracking and electrifying the line?

As the article points out, the state pays up to $22 over and above on each ride on the Waterbury branch lines. To me, that's ok if most persons are commuting to work on the branch lines, because the state recaptures that money via payroll and other taxes directly or indirectly supported by that commuting. But is it really nessisary to prioritize very limited commuter transportation infrastructure dollars so that Aunt Sally in Bridgeport can save 10 minutes on the train while vistiting cousin Bob in Waterbury?

Other than political capital, where's the ROI?

by Swedish Meatball

If you want to get the ridership up on the Waterbury how about running trains every hour instead of up to 4 hours between trains. Also with any equipment shortage the Waterbury will be the first line to get buses. I am suprised the article did not mention any future freigt service to get P&W and CSX off the Main Line.

by DutchRailnut

P&W and CST do not have rights on waterbury , the P&W only from devon to derby. The rest of Waterbury the freight rights belong to springfield terminal.
The ridership does not warrant 1 hour service or even two hour service.