Railroad Forums 

• Amtrak NEC Delay and Service Disruption Thread

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1635778  by Gilbert B Norman

As I noted to a fan ("foams" a bit more than I) and frequent Amtrak passenger when he informed me of this situation:
Funny how these kind of things never happened on the New Haven or the P- Road - both of which had manned Blocks until The End.
 #1635796  by STrRedWolf

ChesterValley wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2023 8:25 am I guess this is as good of a thread as any to post this, but does anyone know what's going wrong with the NE Corridor today? SEPTA reports it as a "Radio Failure" with service suspended on all Amtrak lines, NJ Transit reports it as a "Service Disruption" with delays into and out of NYP but suspension for AC RR section from 30th to Cherry Hill, MARC reports its as a "Communications Failure" with cancellations. MBTA and Metro North aren't reporting any Service disruptions.

It doesn't look like anyone knows whats going on other than trains are getting cancelled as their time comes around
Word from those "closer to the action" says "comms failure" which to me says "CTEC's radio system broke, all trains stop."
 #1637142  by NortheastTrainMan

Today Jan 21, 2024, Amtrak Northeast Regional 121 was astronomically late. The train runs from NYP to WAS, typically with a Metroliner Cab Car leading (for a quick turn), then it turns to 122 and runs back to NYP.

121 was over an hour late by the time it began its run at NYP. Any ideas on why this train began its run so far behind schedule? 121 is scheduled to depart NYP at 10:29 AM, today it departed at 11:36 AM.
Screenshot from RailRat.Net below / attached.
Screenshot_381.png
Screenshot_381.png (47.63 KiB) Viewed 1169 times
For context, it was below freezing & there was snow residue from snowfall this week. However, there wasn't a giant mass delay issue. Was it the weather? Difficulty getting access to NYP via East River Tunnels? Frozen switch(es) in Sunnyside Yard? It's not too often in my empirical observation to see this train running anything over 30 mins late max, let alone over 60 mins late.

Sidebar, I find it ironic this train was late on its "day." 121, was late on 1/21. The universe was trolling me :P .
 #1642293  by NortheastTrainMan

Earlier this week on April 9, 2024 (at least according to this video), there was a signal outage along the NEC.
I'm not 100% sure on the area, but it might be between Delaware County and Delaware.

Here's the video from "SouthPhillyRail" on YouTube:

#1642332  by twropr

The signal outage on the 9th involved Phil and Hook interlockings, many intermediate automatic signals at stop and proceed. After about hrs from when it began about 4 pm the trains really started to stack up.
Andy
 #1642377  by STrRedWolf

west point wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:17 am What caused the 2 - 3 hour delays Monday between Newark and PHL?
NJ Transit Arrow III broke a panograph and took down a caternary line. NEC trains were delayed heavily around NYC. MARC/SEPTA trains were fine.
 #1642495  by west point

Until all the PRR style CAT is replaced these incidents will continue to happen. The PRR style has all tracks CAT supported by a single cross wire between support poles outside the tracks. A snag will often cascade to other track's CAT pulling down wires on more than just the snag's track.
 #1642543  by R36 Combine Coach

west point wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 1:22 am Until all the PRR style CAT is replaced these incidents will continue to happen. The PRR style has all tracks CAT supported by a single cross wire between support poles outside the tracks.
Does the New Haven catenary have the same problem?