• Amtrak Michigan: Wolverine, Blue Water, Pere Marquette

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

by metrarider

hsr_fan wrote:I think they're already running at 95 mph there. My question is, when is Illinois going to raise speeds on the Chicago - Springfield route? Those upgrades seem to be lagging.
My understanding of the current issue wrt to the Illinios speed upgrade is that everything is in place, except that all locomotives that use the line (including freight) need to be fitted with the requiste equipment, which is an expensive proposition which has not been funded as of yet.
Last edited by metrarider on Thu Mar 30, 2006 11:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

by Engineer James

Wouldn't that be a costly project?? What type of equip. are they running for the freight?

by Gilbert B Norman

It appears that the Michigan legislature and "lady Guv" have come through and provided funding for another year of State supported service.

Associated Press
  by Engineer James

Well, I was reading a copy of US WEEKLY. They had an interview with ex-CEO David Gunn. Here is a Main Quote: "The passenger railroad industry is a DEFFICIENT Operation."

Now this coming from Mr. Gunn?? I was amazed. He also said that Amtrak is better off now than it was when he came.

If it was.... why here in Michigan, they are still running 6 trains with FP40H's?? Equipment from the 70's. However, we only have a Few P40 Genesises here.... why?

by Gilbert B Norman

James; while no doubt you have learned of a David Gunn interview in which he used the term "deficient" and in which he also stated that Amtrak was "in better shape' when he left than when he came, I must seriously question if that interview was reported in US Weekly. I have now learned such is an entertainment magazine.

http://www.usmagazine.com/blog/

Possibly you can perfect your source for that interview.

However, to address the matter of locomotives assigned to the Michigan service trains, Amtrak no longer operates any F-40PH/R locomotives. What you have likely observed are Non Powered Control Units (NPCU) that have been rebuilt from retired F-40 locomotives. The Michigan trains are usually assigned these control units but are powered by a P-42.
Last edited by Gilbert B Norman on Mon Apr 24, 2006 6:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
  by wigwagfan

Engineer James wrote:If it was.... why here in michigan, they are still running 6 trains with FP40H's?? Equipment from the 70's. However, we only have a Few P40 Genesises here.... why?
I don't think age has anything to do with service quality; rather equipment upkeep/maintenance, and whether the equipment meets the current needs, is a more accurate gauge.

Railroads use technology from decades ago; there are still plenty of SD40-2 locomotives on the freight railroads. But they do the job and quite reliably.

There are plenty of 1970s era aircraft in the air, the Boeing 737 is a 1960s-era design (although avionics have been upgraded substantially).

And the Amfleet and Horizon car designs, are both from before the 1970s. But both still roll on today.

by JoeG

Engineer James was, I believe, referring to an interview US News had with David Gunn in Dec 05. Here's the link: US News interview with Gunn
US Weekly appears to be a weekly school publication based upon, and published by US News.

by Gilbert B Norman

Upon review of the US News material, I find the term "deficit" was used by Mr. Gunn rather than "deficient'.

by Tadman

In an industry that has set the 40-series GM locomotives as the gold standard until recently, I see no shame in continuing to operate the F40PH. Metra here has about 25 1976 vintage units running around (non -2).

As to the overall picture of Amtrak, I'm sure few would disagree that the state of repair is not as good as it could be, and the equipment does exhibit deficiencies compared to the example of a 1960's vintage 737 - that airliner likely has a 1998 interior, 2002 overhaul, and is pleasant to ride. A 1979 Amfleet I or superliner might be in as-delivered shape, and not quite as pleasant.

However, I would believe the Michigan service to be in better shape than most, as there are a few state-supported 403(b) trains and frequent traffic. I infer from this that people actually want to ride the train there, so it can't be repulsive.

by Engineer James

Joe, Thanks, thats the one.

Gilbert> Not to disagree with you, however, if you read the article IN the magazine and not the ONLINE version you will find out.

Well, i like FP40H's as much as the next railfan... I do, however, I think it looks like the rest of Amtrak is oprating NEWER equipment, and michgan is still on the FP40H standard. Too bad. Maybe they could be spruced up with newer paint schemes.... OR EVEN MAYBE SOME OLD RAILROAD PAINT SCHEMES SUCH AS PENNSY, NH, ETC. :-D *lOVES THE iDEA*

by Gilbert B Norman

Engineer James wrote:OR EVEN MAYBE SOME OLD RAILROAD PAINT SCHEMES SUCH AS PENNSY, NH, ETC.
Actually James, there appears to be an initiative under way by at least one Class One and a commuter agency to emulate your thoughts.

The Union Pacific has painted several newly delivered SD-70 locomotives in "heritage' schemes, or what they think some of their predecessor roads would have painted contemporary motive power had such been available before their flags fell.

A New York area commuter agency has painted several locomotives in New York Central and New Haven RR livery. Note Mr. Dutch Railnut's avatar as an example.

Lastly, even Amtrak has had a "heritage" locomotive. GG-1 4935 was repainted by Amtrak into PRR livery and was in revenue service prior to its retirement. Today, it rests at a Strasburg PA railroad museum.

by Engineer James

Ahh... thanks Gilbert.
  by signmasters24

They might look sad but that don't slow them down. The NPCU-F40PH-D that come through Dowagiac, MI are equipped with ITCS readers to read Amtrak's signals west of Kalamazoo high speed track to the Michigan line,
they run 100+ mph for this 66 mile other than like Dowagiac which it slows to 79-90 mph depanding on who you ask. I feel like giving them $1.25 for the spray wash next to the track if you think it might help. They can make the hair stand up on the back of your neck, I love it.

http://www.railroadforums.com/photos/sh ... puser=4233

by John_Perkowski

As a brief comment to the pseudo-historic painting of certain UP units...

UP has, historically, protected its trademark (particularly the Overland Route shield). I have several pictures, even post 1969, of the Overland Route shield on a boxcar which already has the "Union Pacific Railroad" shield upon it.

I honestly believe UP is working to protect its rights to the trademarks of its predecessor railroads and freight expediting companies (the Road now owns not only PFE but also American Refrigerator Transit).

Amtrak, OTOH, may or may not own many trademarks. I don't know how far USG would go to protect many of its image markings (beyond the Flag).

John Perkowski
  by dhaffner

There has not been an F40 unit running in Michigan in several years, aside from the F40NPCU "Cabbage" cars that technically do not "run" but either get pushed or pulled. Only two F40 units were EVER equipped with the ITCS system necessary to run on the Amtrak Michigan line, during the testing of the system during the later 1990's. Those two units were the 283 and the 289. The numbers were easy to remember, as they were dedicated to Michigan service and also just happened to bear the numbers of famous Detroit automakers V-8 engines from the 60's.

A P32-8 is occasionally found running on the Grand Rapids train, which does not run the Amtrak Michigan line, at least not in ITCS territory.

Around 2002, twelve P42 units were equipped with ITCS, sequentially numbered from 26 to 37. A while later, it was decided to add three more units, so 126 to 128 were also equipped. These 15 units are the ONLY locomotives that are seen on the Pontiac and Port Huron trains, along with six ITCS-equipped "cabbage" cars.

As a side note, 283 and 289 are now found with the 242 in Denver & Rio Grande colors on the Ski Train in Colorado.