• Amtrak/LIRR Moynihan Train Hall

• This forum will be for issues that don't belong specifically to one NYC area transit agency, but several. For instance, intra-MTA proposals or MTA-wide issues, which may involve both Metro-North Railroad (MNRR) and the Long Island Railroad (LIRR). Other intra-agency examples: through running such as the now discontinued MNRR-NJT Meadowlands special. Topics which only concern one operating agency should remain in their respective forums.
This forum will be for issues that don't belong specifically to one NYC area transit agency, but several. For instance, intra-MTA proposals or MTA-wide issues, which may involve both Metro-North Railroad (MNRR) and the Long Island Railroad (LIRR). Other intra-agency examples: through running such as the now discontinued MNRR-NJT Meadowlands special. Topics which only concern one operating agency should remain in their respective forums.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

by bdawe

Well, it would be refreshing for it to not be named after a politician, and it would be two rebuilds away away from the original Pennsylvania Station (at least on the surface)
  by BlendedBreak

Using the above photo.
1)Install a right hand switches from the western limits of the Empire tunnel(2Main) to 2A.
2)Connect D yard to empire line 2 main
  by Ken W2KB

bleet wrote:A couple of reactions:

I would hope that NJ Transit would be brought into the process too since you can't fix what's wrong with Penn Station without including that half of the station. Which leads me to wonder why if you are closing 33rd street you wouldn't close 31st street too and do the same kind of passage way on both sides. In fact there already is a LIRR concourse on the 33rd street side, but not one on the NJT side.

Also, this ignores Amtrak's plan to build a Penn Station south station...so how does that get worked in?

I like the idea of opening up the 8th Ave side of the station but other than that I don't see anything that actually will make a tremendous difference. On the other hand I give Cuomo credit for trying to make something happen.
The last couple of fairly recent times I was at NYP, the block of 33rd Street adjacent to the station/MSG was closed to motor vehicle traffic, except perhaps to deliveries to the buildings along that block.
  by Gilbert B Norman

Gray Lady seems to have her doubts about the latest initiative. She's heard it all before;

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/01/09/opini ... ation.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Addendum: Fair Use (originally posted by phone):
Beyond aesthetic improvements, the real need is to increase capacity at Penn Station, which was not built to handle 650,000 passengers a day. The test will be to see what flesh is put on these and other proposals that have been flying from the governor’s mouth and press office. Mr. Cuomo, who seems to have gone from zero to Robert Moses in 60 seconds, is also talking about building a third L.I.R.R. track on part of the Main Line in Nassau County and digging a tunnel to connect Long Island to points north. He will get no complaint from New Yorkers who like it when governors tackle big infrastructure. Now he needs to fully explain with what money, and — the forever question — when?
Last edited by Gilbert B Norman on Mon Jan 11, 2016 7:27 am, edited 3 times in total.
  by DutchRailnut

answer is basically no, as water tunnel no 1 is in way, and unless you go extreme deep which would require new tunnels at both ends for way deep level.
  by Ridgefielder

Gilbert B Norman wrote:Gray Lady seems to have her doubts about the latest initiative. She's heard it all before;
Mr. Norman- I would note that a civil war of sorts has broken out hereabouts between Gracie Mansion and the Governor's Mansion, and the metropolitan papers have taken sides. Something to bear in mind when reading editorial page coverage of the proposal.
  by Gilbert B Norman

Here's a link and Fair Use quotation to the Times Op-Ed piece noted immediately by Mr. Backshop:

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/01/13/arts/ ... arden.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Fair Use:
Gov. Andrew M. Cuomo entreated New Yorkers last week to “think big” again, invoking Robert Moses, New York’s take-no-prisoners planning czar of the 20th century.

He was talking about fixing Pennsylvania Station, and presumably he meant the good Moses, the young, public-spirited idealist who opened parks and beaches. The bad Moses displaced hundreds of thousands of poor people and foisted other calamities on the city. But yes, he thought big.

So, while it was encouraging that the governor championed Penn’s cause, it was odd that he channeled Moses only to come up with what sounded like glassy new lobbies and shopping malls to improve the station’s ambience.
  by SwingMan

The biggest concern will be the narrow passages into the new station area and the fact that, upon opening, many people will have the same curiosity about this new setting. I'd be willing to be they will open it in installments from the LIRR section down to the lower tracks so you don't have chaos, but it is still something left to be seen. Not to mention, once complete there (should be) better flow to the platforms then ever, that is if not every person in the current area moves to the new station.
  by Jeff Smith

Phase I is due to open this year: NJ.com
The set of stairs that could change your commute forever

For commuters who squeeze together on crowded Penn Station platforms waiting to go up narrow staircases and escalators, the sight of new stairs to a new station is oh so tantalizing.

For now, those stairs and escalators are locked behind security gates. But they're scheduled to open this fall, which is when the first phase of a project to convert Manhattan's Farley Post Office into the new Moynihan Station will be complete, said Empire State Development Corporation officials.

The project is also the first phase of New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo's ambitious Empire Station plan, which would rehabilitate Penn Station and move Amtrak operations to Moynihan in a second phase.
Ultimately, plans call for a second phase of work, which will create a new train hall for Amtrak in the center of Moynihan, and is part of Cuomo's Empire Station plan. Private sector developers would finance that work in exchange for the rights to develop retail stores and restaurants in Empire Station.
  by Kilo Echo

The renderings suggest that the architectural aims of the new station are lower yet than those of the Oculus downtown. This unwieldy project demonstrates how difficult it is to undo the damage caused by the wanton destruction of Charles Follen McKim's masterpiece.
  by philipmartin

From Larry Higgs in NJ,com http://www.nj.com/traffic/index.ssf/201 ... rever.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Last edited by Jeff Smith on Tue Aug 16, 2016 2:32 pm, edited 1 time in total. Reason: Admin note: merged in from NJT forum.