Railroad Forums 

• Amtrak HHP-8 Discussion: Use, Reliability, Disposition

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1640005  by Railjunkie

Emmett wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 7:37 am other than 9750, how many exist as NPCU's?
I don't know how many exist as NPCUs but sounds like Amtrak is going to be using them on Keystone Service sooner or later. They are no good out of Penn station going to Boston or Albany as they do not have the necessary Metro North PTC equipment.
 #1640009  by Gilbert B Norman

Until reviewing the video submitted to You Tube by Mr. Fan Railer, I was unaware that making the Regional fleet bidirectional also included ACS-64 engines at both ends of the train.

Does Amtrak have enough ACS-64's to support such largesse? If not, they had best move forth with the HHP-8 conversion to NPCU's - and maybe think twice about retiring any existing units.
 #1640032  by CNJGeep

If the paperwork is right there will ultimately be eight of these monstrosities. Only the 9750 is done and it's still testing. Not to mention there are literally hundreds of employees who have never been around an HHP and have no idea where everything is. Don't tie your hopes into seeing one out in the next few weeks.
 #1640043  by Emmett

CNJGeep wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 1:07 pm If the paperwork is right there will ultimately be eight of these monstrosities. Only the 9750 is done and it's still testing. Not to mention there are literally hundreds of employees who have never been around an HHP and have no idea where everything is. Don't tie your hopes into seeing one out in the next few weeks.
I know of its problem with the air on monday, although i heard from multiple people it was a "fairly minor" issue, although getting more light shed on it would be good. I also heard it is still on its keystone set from monday, so it could be possible it runs...

eolesen, agreed.

-Emmett
 #1640595  by STrRedWolf

Tadman wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 7:55 pm Banana + Cab =....
A size comparison? In this forum? Already?!? If you really have problems imagining how big trains can be, you need to get out and touch engines. :)