• Amtrak Gateway Tunnels

• This forum will be for issues that don't belong specifically to one NYC area transit agency, but several. For instance, intra-MTA proposals or MTA-wide issues, which may involve both Metro-North Railroad (MNRR) and the Long Island Railroad (LIRR). Other intra-agency examples: through running such as the now discontinued MNRR-NJT Meadowlands special. Topics which only concern one operating agency should remain in their respective forums.
This forum will be for issues that don't belong specifically to one NYC area transit agency, but several. For instance, intra-MTA proposals or MTA-wide issues, which may involve both Metro-North Railroad (MNRR) and the Long Island Railroad (LIRR). Other intra-agency examples: through running such as the now discontinued MNRR-NJT Meadowlands special. Topics which only concern one operating agency should remain in their respective forums.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

by Thomas

Adirondacker wrote:which Gateway will effectively be, if it's on two levels.
Are you referring to two-levels of Penn South?
  by 25Hz

There are now 4 threads commenting on ARC, one in NJT (relevant) forum, and 3 here.... can we get some consolidation?
  by morris&essex4ever

I wonder if Christie wanted to attract businesses to NJ's cities if that was why he pulled the plug on a project that would benefit NYC the most.
  by Adirondacker

Thomas wrote:
Two levels of ARC. It's a bit easier, with some coordination, to get trains in and out of a two level terminal than it is to get trains in and out of a single level terminal. Gateway is going to be on a single level.
  by Thomas

Adirondacker wrote:Gateway is going to be on a single level.
Actually, from what I have read, Gateway is "supposed" to eventually be a two-level station--similar to ARC's plans...

There are several options being evaluated, and no proper alignment has been determined yet...
  by Greg Moore

Adirondacker wrote:
Thomas wrote:
Two levels of ARC. It's a bit easier, with some coordination, to get trains in and out of a two level terminal than it is to get trains in and out of a single level terminal. Gateway is going to be on a single level.

Note that ARC would have been a 2 level terminal.

Penn Station and any planned addition are not terminals.
  by Adirondacker

Greg Moore wrote:
Adirondacker wrote:
Thomas wrote:

ARC was going to be a two level terminal until they extended it to Grand Central.
Penn Station is at capacity. Any new tunnels they add need additional platforms and tracks. The drawings I've seen are for 4 island platforms and eight tracks dead ending at the east.
  by Greg Moore

Adirondacker wrote:
Greg Moore wrote:
Adirondacker wrote:
Thomas wrote:

ARC was going to be a two level terminal until they extended it to Grand Central.
Penn Station is at capacity. Any new tunnels they add need additional platforms and tracks. The drawings I've seen are for 4 island platforms and eight tracks dead ending at the east.

"Until they extended it to Grand Central" was really a pipe dream.. a wet one at that with NYC Water Tunnel #1 evidently close enough to be a real issue.

And while the new tracks would have been a terminal, Penn Station, (which the new tunnels tie into) would not be. I would no more call Penn Station a terminal then, then I would now despite tracks 1-4 terminating there.

The point is, there's a huge amount of operational flexibility the proposed Gateway tunnels would provide in operations that the ARC tunnels would not.

Consider the scenario where a current North River Tunnel has to be closed. You would severely impact any trains passing through NYP (to/from Boston for example).

With Gateway, far less so.
  by Thomas

Adirondacker wrote: The drawings I've seen are for 4 island platforms and eight tracks dead ending at the east.
Are you referring to the PDF's that have been posted on the Internet?
  by Thomas

Adirondacker wrote: The drawings I've seen are for 4 island platforms and eight tracks dead ending at the east.
  by Thomas

by Jishnu

Adirondacker wrote:
Greg Moore wrote:
Adirondacker wrote:
Thomas wrote:

Apparently you have not seen the latest slideset then. Gateway indeed has a phase two sort of proposal to add a deep down 6 track extension under Block 780. They talk about putting in bell mouths for getting to them at the ends of Manhattan during construction of the tubes and leave them in place for later use.

So you need to do a little catching up I am afraid. :)
  by Thomas

Apparently you have not seen the latest slideset then. Gateway indeed has a phase two sort of proposal to add a deep down 6 track extension under Block 780. They talk about putting in bell mouths for getting to them at the ends of Manhattan during construction of the tubes and leave them in place for later use.

So you need to do a little catching up I am afraid. :)[/quote]

Are you referring to the PDF that was released last June?

Would Amtrak create bell mouths during Phase 2 of the tunnel box?
  by Thomas

How could the Gateway Tunnels be constructed without disturbing the IND 8th Avenue Line?