Railroad Forums 

• Amtrak Empire Service

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

#643174  by jrs363

Forget about High Speed Rail, and improve the existing product. People are using it in increasing numbers.

Here are some stats for increases from 07 to 08 for some upstate stations:
Albany 7.3 %
Schenectady 9.0%
Rome 13.4 %
Utica 13.3 %
Syracuse 27.2%
Rochester 26.1%
Buffalo-Depew 22.7%
Buffalo-Exchange 26.9%

Not bad,, and FWIW, Albany was the 10th busiest station in US, serving 830,000 riders!

Gotta wonder why we are not talking about an intermodal station in downtown Rochester ?

John Stewart
 #643178  by goodnightjohnwayne

jrs363 wrote: Gotta wonder why we are not talking about an intermodal station in downtown Rochester ?
A study was done for a fairly elaborate passenger station expansion in Rochester back in 2003 or so. The result would have been something like the regional transportation center in Syracuse. I don't think that it went anywhere.

Incidentally, the use of the word "intermodal" for a dual use train/bus station is somewhat misleading on a railroad forum.

When I read the word "intermodal," I think about TOFC or double stacked containers.

I'm inclined to say that the term "regional transportation center" seems to be less prone to confusion.
 #643241  by judgesmails

I think a rail/bus station was briefly considered, but I believe the idea ultimately morphed into the current plan for "Rennaissance Square" which will involve a bus station and a few other elements, but no rail service. I think the original proposed location might have been just west of the current Rochester station, but the project is now located along Main Street.

http://www.renaissancesquare.net/

goodnightjohnwayne wrote:
jrs363 wrote: Gotta wonder why we are not talking about an intermodal station in downtown Rochester ?
A study was done for a fairly elaborate passenger station expansion in Rochester back in 2003 or so. The result would have been something like the regional transportation center in Syracuse. I don't think that it went anywhere.

Incidentally, the use of the word "intermodal" for a dual use train/bus station is somewhat misleading on a railroad forum.

When I read the word "intermodal," I think about TOFC or double stacked containers.

I'm inclined to say that the term "regional transportation center" seems to be less prone to confusion.
 #644103  by jr

If they are going to spend some money, here are a few ideas that would provide far more "bang for the buck", than high speed rail.

1) Clean and repair the restrooms in the Rochester station. They have the worst public restrooms that my wife and I have experienced in a very long time.

2) Provide a parking lot that gives your auto a reasonable chance at surviving a few days undamaged and un-stolen.

3) Have 48 & 49 run on time (or close to on time), at least once in a while

4) Given the general tardiness, particularly for the Lakeshore, how about some kind of minimal food service? A couple of un-stocked, out-of-order vending machines doesn't cut it for me. There might be enough business there for a small hot-food vendor (even hot dogs and hamburgs would be a vast improvement).

JR
 #644341  by joshuahouse

I certainly agree that there needs to be a better food option in or somewhat near the Rochester station. Sunday mornings dreaming of an on time Lakeshore east bound I've gone as far as the Brugers Bagels down by Strong Hospital to find something open for breakfast 2.0.
 #644392  by Conrail4evr

48 and 49 have been largely on time for the past few weeks that I've either caught them or heard them on the radio. When they are not on time, it is generally beyond Amtrak's control, as their delays generally have to do with the dispatching on the hosting railroad (and any problems said host's trains may encounter en route that will further delay them), not to mention Border Patrol boarding trains, and occasional equipment problems with Amtrak's own equipment (due largely to inadequate funding up until this point in time, the increasing passenger loads, and their equipment not getting any younger). Considering the cards they have been dealt, they do pretty well. I'll be curious to see if this new "rail-friendly" administration will provoke a change for the better in Amtrak (along with some funding for some newer equipment, as Amtrak desperately needs it, as per the passengers and employees alike).
 #645258  by roadster

While in Buffalo Monday I read a newspaper article in which they specifically mentioned adding a 3rd track back to the water Level Route, to be Amtrak exculsive. Interesting, and a whole lot of issues to address.
 #645408  by C2629

Adding a 3rd track on the waterlevel route wont help 48 much if its 3-4 hours late when it hits Cleveland. Its interesting that I see or read of many railfans trashing CSX for Amtrak 48 being really late, when in truth it was very late before it got onto CSX rails. Next time its really late, go to the Amtrak web site and punce in departure from Chicago or South Bend or even Toledo. That will give you a better feeling for where its losing time. To a lessor degree, you will find out that 284 leaves NF really late some days.