• Amtrak Empire Service (New York State)

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

by Greg Moore

Ah, I just realized, they're going back to the old NYC way of numbering the tracks I believe.

And I was just wondering about this this morning as I stood in line waiting for my train. (we boarded on track 1).

Also, seems like lots of slow orders today. I'm guessing again due to wet signals. They haven't cut in the new cabling yet, correct?
  by mohawkrailfan

I do like that there's no work being done on the platform, so you can stroll around during the "smoke break" stops without squeezing around people.
  by Allouette

For most of NYC's four track territory, tracks 1 (west) and 2 (east) were the express tracks, with 3 (west) and 4 (east) the local tracks. In places where there were fewer tracks, there was still a track 1 and 2.
  by Railjunkie

Greg Moore wrote:Ah, I just realized, they're going back to the old NYC way of numbering the tracks I believe.

And I was just wondering about this this morning as I stood in line waiting for my train. (we boarded on track 1).

Also, seems like lots of slow orders today. I'm guessing again due to wet signals. They haven't cut in the new cabling yet, correct?
To the best of my knowledge the new cable has yet to be cut in. I think they are still working on splicing it in some spots. The bulletin looked the same as always didn't hear of any signal issues to I know of. The only spot you could have taken a good delay would have been between Hudson and Rhinecliff on track one as that is were the tie gang has been for the past month.

Yes we are following the old NYCRR method of numbering tracks, the way I explained it to you was directly out of a NYCRR ETT from the 1950s. You can find pretty much the same note in a MNRR ETT. An example all tracks in the Albany station excluding the shop west to east 4-2-1-3-5-7-9-11
  by Greg Moore

Eh, I slept most of the way south of Albany so it could have been a work crew. I'm just used to so many times when the signals are out (or the rock fall wires have been tripped) in that section that when it rains and we're slow, I simply assume it's a signal issue :-)

So given that, I assume tracks 6,8,10 would have been on the west side if they existed?

So in the current scheme at the station, what's "main" 3?
  by Railjunkie

If tracks went toward the river they would be numbered even 2-4-6-8 so you are correct on your assumption. At this time track 3 is only in the yard, there were some ballast hoppers on stored there for a bit. Track 3 in the station will be the new track if and when it ever gets put in. There was talk of a short stub end on the platform once they cut in the new CP141 it would be that way until the new CP143 gets built.

Yesterday the AM yard crew discovered a large deep water issue in the yard area that will have to be addressed ASAP.
  by Greg Moore

I'm confused what you mean by a stub end on the platform? Do you mean some sort of 5th track or one of the 4 will only be a stub or what?
  by Rockingham Racer

After the second main is laid down, what should we expect in terms of more frequencies, if any? My gut feeling says zero, unless a few more trains are sent up to Schenectady.
  by Railjunkie

CSX isnt going to allow more passenger trains on there territory, NYS dosent have the money to pay for new service west of Schenectady, I dont think the ridership is there. When I hired out there was more service to Schenectady in the early morning and late afternoon and the train wasa quite busy. Towards the end maybe only 5 or 10 people hardly enough to justify a five car set crew cost and fuel.
  by Greg Moore

I recall a few trains originated in Schenectady. I tend to agree they probably won't extend any more there due to low ridership but then again I suspect it was a bit of self-fulfilling prophecy when the trains ran late.

That said, I could perhaps see say another train to Saratoga at some point or possibly if VT gets its act together another VT bound train.

But until NYS gets its act together, nothing further west. Which is a shame.
  by jackintosh11

What is the business class seating like on the empire service trains? 2-1 or 2-2? And do trains not running west of albany still have cafe cars on them with no food service?
  by Greg Moore

jackintosh11 wrote:What is the business class seating like on the empire service trains? 2-1 or 2-2? And do trains not running west of albany still have cafe cars on them with no food service?
I've seen both for business class so I can't say for sure.

Trains continuing past Albany generally DO have cafe cars with service.
Trains originating or terminating in Albany have cafe cars without service.
  by R30A

2-1 Amfleet Club-Cafe on all trains with Business class towards Albany. (All Empire, the Maple Leaf, and the Ethan Allen.)

Trains terminating in Albany will not have food service, but if it goes through ALB, it will have a stocked and manned cafe.