• Amtrak Diner and Food Service Discussion

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

by STrRedWolf

mtuandrew wrote: Thu Nov 14, 2019 8:46 pm
lordsigma12345 wrote: Thu Nov 14, 2019 8:08 pm One thing the summaries didn’t mention was that after saying he “appreciates that” he said something like “and I think we should invest in that on a few stellar routes.” Maybe that means it’ll stay on at least a couple western long distance routes. I’m guessing this alludes to the “experiential service level” they’ve hinted at in the 5 year plans.
Builder, Zephyr definitely; you could make a case for any of the others too, but I’d guess the Chief.
I can make the case for trains that span three days. Overnight trains, through, are the issue.
  by gokeefe

I would agree with this interpretation. I think this is especially so given the recent service improvements on the Auto Train.
  by TCurtin

This is an item I put on another thread. I am intentionally "quoting myself" here, since this discussion evidently has a large following:

This sounds interesting. The email is quoted verbatim.............

(Note, the trip we are taking is correctly stated)

"We have exciting news to share with you about your upcoming trip on [Trains 51 and 50] to White Sulphur Springs WV.

"Starting October 1 we will be debuting a new dining experience aboard your train --- made exclusively available for Sleeping
car customers. Here is what you can expect when you are onboard:

" - A new dining menu with hot, ready to serve choices for breakfast, lunch and dinner
- A wide selection of wine, beer and spirits (The first one is on us) plus unlimited soft drinks
throughout your journey
- Complimentary room service provided by your sleeping car attendant
- Exclusive onboard lounge space for sleeping car customers to dine and socialize 24x7
- Flexible dining times without the need for reservations

" Sample menus can be found at Amtrak.com/flexdining.

" We look forward to seeing you on board."

Well, should we be as excited as the email says? Also, I was wondering, is this service upgrade unique to The Cardinal ?
  by Rockingham Racer

Well, they changed their minds and decided not to put a new "sleeper lounge" on this train. So you can go from there as to how excited you should get.
  by bostontrainguy

For what it's worth, House T&I Chairman Defazio states he intends to strip Amtrak's profitability mandate from the 2020 Surface Transportation re-authorization.
  by gokeefe

Interesting choice given the circumstances.
  by Gilbert B Norman

Somewhere, Col. Perkowski started a topic regarding railroad recipies, and if appropriate, to merge this posting with such:

https://www.atlasobscura.com/articles/dining-car-food

A gentleman, Ira Silverman, whom I have met "along the way", has donated an extensive collection of Dining Car menus to Northwestern University, and which has "digitized" such.

Should make for an interesting reference source.
  by lordsigma12345

I saw that too but forgot to mention it in my post. Gotta love the proofreading skills!
  by David Benton

Why does the garden salad have the note it is complimentary for sleeping car passengers? Aren't all dishes complimentary for sleepers? I can only think they mean they can order it in addition to their main dish for free?
  by mtuandrew

David Benton wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 12:40 am Why does the garden salad have the note it is complimentary for sleeping car passengers? Aren't all dishes complimentary for sleepers? I can only think they mean they can order it in addition to their main dish for free?
I think you’re exactly right in that it’s a complimentary side dish for sleeper passengers along with their prepaid entrée. That’s normal in American sit-down restaurants, where you’re usually offered a choice between “garden” salad (small, no protein and few toppings), french fries (chips in British parlance), and possibly mixed warm vegetables or a baked potato. An entree (large) salad may or may not offer side dishes, often bread.

I guess coach passengers need to buy their own sides.
Last edited by mtuandrew on Tue Dec 10, 2019 9:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
  by JimBoylan

I think the need for the Garden Salad note is because it is not complimentary for coach passengers, but a separate charge for them. Of course, they could have said the same about non alcoholic beverages.
  by STrRedWolf

superstar wrote: Mon Dec 09, 2019 5:57 pm
lordsigma12345 wrote: Mon Dec 09, 2019 3:02 pm There's a new menu for the western trains:

https://www.amtrak.com/content/dam/proj ... u-1119.pdf

No changes to the meal choices - this change is exclusively to reflect the coke and wine vendor change.
"Coke-Cola" soft drinks

They had one job!
To be honest, I saw "coke and wine vendor change" and thought "Wait, I can get illegal drugs on the train?!? They really must be baaaaaaaaaad..." :)