• Amtrak Crescent Discussion

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

by NJ3rdRAIL

LI LOCO- I should have mentioned that the train trip is mainly the means of transportation to our actual vacation which is a Carribean cruise out of New Orleans. We just figured that this would(might) be a more interesting alternative to flying for our son, even if he is very young. Plus, my DH has always had a thing for train travel- so we booked the Crescent.

For a true rail vacation with the great scenery I have read about, I think I would like to head out West-possibly Californnia or even the Canadian Rockies. With Amtraks prices on these rail vacations, we will need to wait for my son to be a bit older to appreciate it and allow some budgeting time.

I appreciate the info. My DH will be on the lookout for any fish between here and there-so he appreciated your sighting info. THanks again.
  by CharlotteJim

NJ3rdRail, at various times in recent years I've ridden both north and south on all segments of the Crescent from DC to NO, but not north of DC, so I'll only comment on what I know. Also, I think most of what I can think of has been mentioned in various other posts, but here are my thoughts.

First, the direction you're traveling obviously makes a big difference as to what you're going to see (in daylight and/or while awake!), and I don't think I ever saw whether you'd be returning the same route or not. Assuming you're only traveling south, then you'll likely miss most of the rolling hills of Virginia. Hopefully, though, with Daylight Savings Time imminent, you'll at least get to enjoy Northern Virginia. Virginia is generally quite lovely (not spectacular, as you and LI Loco figured out, but certainly pretty). There will be several river crossings, sometimes from a high elevation, and the scenery is mostly trees and hills and farms. This time of year, with the leaves just coming out and probably some trees in bloom, it should be very nice.

You'll be coming through my neck of the woods (NC-SC) during the night, which is fine; though sometimes interesting (particularly in NC) from a railroad point of view, there's a drop-off from Virginia.

It is indeed interesting to watch for the MARTA tracks snaking past the route as you come into Atlanta. After so long in the smaller cities and towns, the suburbs of Atlanta will seem to stretch on forever.

In Alabama in particular, there are a surprising number of hills, sometimes steep. I recall there being a tunnel or three along this route, as the line plows through ridge after ridge. Watching the train snake back and forth is fun, though the curves tend to be blocked at times by hills and trees, unlike wider turns that seem to me to be more prevalent in other parts of the country. One other highlight in here is the giant army depot near Anniston, I believe it is--I recall army tanks and all kinds of other equipment lined up here, and although your view is partially blocked, it's still neat to see the stuff sort of out there in the middle of nowhere. I think that's on the right side headed south.

One final scenic highlight sort of referenced before but not really: as you approach New Orleans, you will cross Lake Ponchatrain, but in addition, you hug the lake for quite a while (lake on your right, I believe) on a section where there is house after house built on stilts and sitting out in the edge of the lake. I was fascinated by them. Presumably they are fishing camps or vacation homes, but I don't think I've seen anything like them anywhere else in the U.S. Some are somewhat elaborate, some aren't; some are kept up very well; some are in danger of collapsing. Seemed to me to be a phenomenon peculiar to that region.

Of course, if you're running late, you might pass these after dusk or later.

In New Orleans, I do recall that the track wraps around the Super Dome shortly before reaching the station.

You mentioned getting off the train to snap pictures, and you or someone else commented on "nice" or "not nice" stations. One thing you might be interested in is the series of pictures posted at http://snow.prohosting.com/usarail. This site is devoted to posting, in highly organized fashion, pictures of all stations on the Amtrak system. They aren't all there, but it appears that you can start at Philadelphia at http://snow.prohosting.com/usarail/philadelphia.htm (or actually just north of there) and see, in order, pictures of every station all the way to New Orleans. You can use those as a guide to see if there are any in particular you want to watch for.

Finally, having traveled via train with my own relatively small children (including a trip to Chicago back in the fall, on which they were 2.5, 5.5 and 7), here's a few thoughts on THAT. First, we make sure that we have LOTS of things for them to do--coloring, small games, books to read or be read to, whatever. Evidence of how well that works is that despite spending an extra 8 hours (10:00 am to 6:00 pm) on the train due to delays, everyone arrived cheerful! Also, make sure to take advantage of your ability to roam--think about having an early dinner (although as first class passengers, I'm not sure that I'd be THAT worried about the dining car being crowded, other than if there IS a delay, that might not sit well with the 2.5 year old!) and then come back later for dessert--just before bed, perhaps. Your attendant may be able to give you a heads up as to when to go. You can (and should) also go down to the lounge car--pay for a snack or two (blah food and expensive, but if it makes the kid(s) happy, do it anyway!), but even if you don't eat anything, just sit down at one of the tables for a change in surroundings. The kids get antsy, and sometimes just moving around helps. Walk to the back of the train to burn some energy. And pull one of the upper beds down to play on during the day--it's got its own window up there and the kids love being able to climb up there.

It's too bad you won't be in the deluxe room--if you were already willing to pay for it ($$$!), the extra space in there is nice, and the lower bed is as wide as a regular twin-sized bed (we take advantage of that by sleeping two--my wife and our youngest--in that bed and the rest of us each have our own bed). But you'll be fine with the two standards.

Enough miscellaneous rambling. Post back if there's anything else I might be able to take a crack at!

Have a great trip!

by NJ3rdRAIL

Charlotte Jim- Thanks for the time you spent giving me some more info. I especially appreciate the info relative to travelling with children. I have so much packed for him to keep busy with, I may go over the 50lb weight limit on his baggage!

Actually-we did reserve and pay for the Deluxe sleepers round trip from Newark NJ to New Orleans LA back in Oct. We were called in Feb. that Amtrak took one of the sleepers from the Crescent off line (for reasons the Amtrak agent did not disclose but I heard here on this site for service or replacement of anther sleeper on another LD train that is being serviced)- We were reaccomodated in an Accessible/Deluxe sleeper from NJ to AL, then in Tuscaloosa we have to move to the 2 standards. The return trip will be as reserved, a Deluxe sleeper. The accomodation charge for the deluxe is our assurance that our son who is usually well behaved {yeah- I know ALL parents think their kids are well behaved!}- will not be disruptive to the other passengers. We plan on taking many "walks" safely from car to car as often as we can.

From the looks of the pix and virtual tour on the Amtrak site, there seems to be very little space in the standard which is why we booked the Deluxe back in Oct. of last year. I am glad they were able to accomodate us to my satisfaction ( in the 2 standards for the last 6 hours of the trip_- if they didnt we would be flying to NOLA for our cruise instead.

Again, thanks for the heads up. I will wave as we head past Charlotte - I have friends in Greensboro that made me promise to wave to at 1:02am when we pass- so I will still be awake when we roll thru Charlotte. Thanks for your time in posting some good info.
SUE
  by Gilbert B Norman

I note, Mr. Thirdrail, that you say you will be moving about from car to car. That you are free to do so is certainly a ++++ of rail travel.

Even though it is included in Amtrrak's "safety briefing" nowadays, I can only in strongest terms recommend hard soled footware anytime anyone in your party is outside of your accomodations. Socks, even those with a "sole" of sorts won't "cut it".

Trust me, you don't want to hear of a recent incident I learned of at another board.

by draintree

I took the Crescent in 2000 and hit New Orleans just as the Yankees/Mets World Series was getting underway. I remember being surprised when our train changed engines in Philly instead of Washington.

The Crescent struck me as being extremely well run. The staff seemed to enjoy doing their jobs and definitely took command while managing to be friendly about it. The attendant in the lounge car, especailly, was a real charmball and had the air of a woman who was born to be a bartender — which I personally regard as a noble profession. On the other hand, if they're doing any kind of regional cuisine I recommend you skip the seafood po' boy.

The scenic highlight for me was a little out of the ordinary. On the trip back we left New Orleans on a clear, but somewhat cool, morning. Just before crossing Lake Pochatrain, a stub line veered off to the right ending up near a small cemetary. It was only partially visible because a patch of impenetrable, white fog had insinuated itself among the gravestones in an impossibly cinematic fashion. In fact, if it actually had been in a movie, my suspension of disbelieved probably would have been momentarilly spoiled by how badly I would have considered them to be overdoing the effect. Since I had been up late the previous night, I fell asleep just after we started going over the water. However, later that afternoon, I was sitting in the lounge car and overheard somebody else mention it. That's when I knew I hadn't imagined what I saw.

Paging Ann Rice.
  by bill haithcoat

Actually the cemeteries are a big part of the uniqueness of New Orleans. The above ground burial, in tall structures, due to the possibility of severe flooding. On the train headed north, the cemeteries(there are tours to them and everything) are on the train's right.

Pick up any tour brochure of New Orleans and the cemeteries are a big part of it. They are also especially dangerous crime areas, so you do not want to wander around in them except on a tour.
  by Gilbert B Norman

Although the Crescent serves New York, its on-board service crew is New Orlans based. they, hands down, are the best Amtrak has.

I'm sure every so often one of those "ruffians" from New York catches an assignment as an extra (NOL crewmwnber getting sick, family emergency, et al) on the Crescent, and hopefully, he or she, returns to the SSY base with a renewed sense of purpose to SERVE passengers rather than the all too prevalent condition of being served by the passengers.

Lastly,(edited) Ms. Thirdrail; while it appears you have been to New Orleans enough to know which end is up, anytime I have been near there (twice in as many years to connect from #1 to 58) there is always someone to whom a New Orleans cemetery is a "first view". For those wondering what I'm addressing, because of a high water table (lest we forget some of NO is below sea level) the graves are built entirely above ground; there is no "six feet under' around there.
Last edited by Gilbert B Norman on Tue Apr 06, 2004 4:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by queenlnr8

O/T

Psssst! I think that Mr. Thirdrail is actually MRS. Thirdrail from reading some of the earlier posts.

/ O/T
  by CharlotteJim

Sue/MRS. ThirdRail :)

Thanks for the clarification on the accomd's. Although a slight pain to get organized and move down the hall, the fact that you're doing it during the day (Tuscaloosa) won't be that big a deal, I wouldn't think. Yes, there's much more room in a Deluxe--I think you could fit five passengers easily enough in a Deluxe, maybe more if some are kids. However, the standards aren't bad when you have two like that--although there's a hallway down the middle, it's a bit likely having a room that stretches across the car. Hopefully you'll enjoy both arrangements.

On the topic of how well behanved your kids are :) I think my wife and I probably DO have fairly well-behaved kids, so perhaps our experience has been unusual, but I'm not sure that I've caught an unhappy glare from any fellow passenger yet with regard to our kids while traveling--and I'm usually pretty sensitive about that kind of thing. My own view is that on the train, people tend to be more friendly to begin with, and kids make an easy conversation starter for many folks--and for that matter, are sometimes the "onboard entertainment" for people who DIDN'T bring enough to with them to keep them busy! :)

I also suspect (but this is only a hunch) that folks riding in the sleepers are even more accommodating of kids.

All that being said, taking the right attitude and doing the right things certainly helps. Being sensitive to anything your kids do that might be perceived as annoying and quickly apologizing or correcting helps a lot, I think. If they're rambunctious at meals, hustling the offending kid back down the train for a walk or a return to the compartment helps and won't be viewed askance, I don't think. And making sure the kids mind their manners (and if possible, speaks politely) often charms even the hard-cases.

I said before that I don't think I've received an "evil eye" yet from any fellow passenger--but to tell you the truth, I think that your biggest danger might be with regard to some of the crew. Although it has been infrequent, I think some crew members are EXPECTING the kids to misbehave--so the more you can do to head it off with the crew, and the quicker, the better!

Hopefully this all makes sense to you--I sense a bit of worry on your part on this issue, so thought I'd offer my experience. 'Course, I could be all wet on all of this!

Anyway, I hope you post back and let me know how it goes. I'm always interested to hear how families enjoy their trips.

As an aside, our big trip this year is a cross-country one--the Cardinal from WV to Chicago, and the Empire Builder west to Portland (all one-way--after stops, it'll be a 12-day trip, and we're going to fly back to save time). This time it will be my wife and I, the three kids, as well as both sets of grandparents. First time all have traveled together, but I think it will be a blast!

-Jim
  by Gilbert B Norman

Mr. CharlotteJim's comments are worthy of merit; he points out that people riding Amtrak LD's are relaxed.

Very simply, people riding LD's are Type B's. Type A's are on the aircraft - it gets there faster. Or else, they are behind the wheel, at least if you can't get there any faster, you can get there faster than someone else on the road.

I can recall the one and only "family trip" by rail - a 1963 Denver-Oakland on the CZ. Once past Glenwood Springs, my father was "off the wall". "When is this thing going to get there" was about the nicest thing I heard (thank God I had my own Roomette). Flying up to Seattle was planned, but he quickly scrubbed out of a return trip on the Empire Builder. Prior to that, he had "essentially sworn off" rail travel beyond his Riverside CT-GCT commute after WWII.

My mother, on the other hand, was quite happy to take a 1968 Ogden-Green River-Portland and also San Luis Obispo-LA rail trip with me after I returned from Viet Nam.

So it simply is the type of person you think you are. Type A's, even retired Type A's, are not going to enjoy rail travel because there is always another way that can get there quicker.

Food for thought.

by updrumcorpsguy

I can vouch for the Type A theory. Last summer, I was on a slightly late California Zephyr from Omaha to Emeryville. There was a guy in my car who kept pacing in the vestibule (or whatever it's called) and muttering about how he would never take the train again. He was so annoying that I finally asked him why he was so upset (it's the hospitality employee in me - I'm a glutton for punishment ;-) and he went off about how they had taken the train from Philadelphia, etc, etc, etc. and it was SO SLOW! I asked him why he had taken the train, because the times are well-published, and he said he took it because his wife wanted to. I felt sorry for her, as his boorish behavior was obviously not adding to her enjoyment - in fact, it was kind of a drag for all of us in his proximity. Because of some track work by Sacramento, we ended up 2 hours late into Emeryville. Not a huge deal, but I'm sure he was over the edge by then.

by NJ3rdRAIL

Yes folks, it is MRS- my husband., myself and 2 1/2 year old son are making this trip to NOLA to join up with a group of 20 family members for a cruise.

All good points- these boards have been a wealth of info and confirm for me that we are making a good decision regarding taking the train for 30 hours. Of course, I will let you all know how it turns out with a trip report after the trip.

We have been to NOLA albeit BC (before child)- and did the cemetary tours. Probably my most memorable experience in the Cresecent City. I am looking forward to the rail experience but am a bit anxious about my little guys behavior onboard. As a semi-neurotic, "advanced maternal aged" first time mom- I live in fear of getting the evil eye as I have been known to throw a few in my earlier, childless days. I KNOW how annoying it would be to sit in coach listenting to me say "please sit nice, "please use your "indoor voice", "please do not hang off of the luggage racks like that" for 30 hours. I would not subject fellow paying passengers (or myself!) to that at any cost. I only agreed to the trip if we could book a sleeper, bring a split of champage for after lights out, tylenol, and a good book.

My son is very young and his level of behavedness ( is that a word??) is subject to change at any time. That is the main reason we booked 2 deluxe sleepers- to kind of insulate the other passengers against any possible "not for public behavior" issues. I have posted on the previous board about what to do with a little one and received such great ideas to keep him busy. I have a TON of new happy meal sized toys he's never seen before, coloring books, tapes, and of course the obligatory Thomas the Tank Engine take along set.

In a side note-there was a accomodation change due to one of the sleeper cars coming "off line" for maintenance so instead of having deluxe sleepers going and coming- we have been re-accomodated in an Accessible deluxe sleeper from NY to AL, then moved to 2 standards until NOLA. Coming back-we kept our Deluxe sleeper. I was a bit nervous about the change , but I figured this presents a good opportunity to try out both types of accomadations and what the heck, I hope to try out an empty coach seat for size so that I can compare all the ways to ride the rails.

Charlotte Jim writes"Being sensitive to anything your kids do that might be perceived as annoying and quickly apologizing or correcting helps a lot, I think"- very true. We are going to do alot of walking and visiting the other cars (THX for all the safety tips about train saftely too!) and my son is a chatter box. He also writes "I think that your biggest danger might be with regard to some of the crew. Although it has been infrequent, I think some crew members are EXPECTING the kids to misbehave--so the more you can do to head it off with the crew, and the quicker, the better! "- I agree here also. I am going to give my recommended tip to the car attendant right up front and then keep my son out of the way... He is a little train buff- and in our "practice runs" on the local NJTransit trains, has taken to saying in his sqweaky little voice "HI CONDUCTOR" and "ALL ABOARD" and "TICKETS PLEASE" to anyone who passes with a uniform on. While WE find it amusing and cute, I am sure after the first 5 times any rail employee has to hear that, they will be ready to drop him off the train.

Again, this has been a great thread and I appreciate all the time you have all spent helping out a "newbie" to LD train travel. I will probably ask a few more ?'s before we head out next week,- but thanks for now.

My hearts go out to the familys of the deceased and injured in the City of New Orleans accident. How scary it must have been for all involved.

SUE

by updrumcorpsguy

Unless they are in a full-scale, kicking/screeching/red-faced tantrum, I don't mind kids at all. But I'm from a large family.

From a work standpoint I can tell you that service employees are usually more worried about the parents than the kids themselves. Too many times you have a situation where a kid is running around unattended, he/she takes a tumble and you have a parent in your face yelling at you about how negligent you are to have let that happen. But it sounds like you have the situation well under control.

by NJ3rdRAIL

If anything, we tend to be on our son a bit too much (like white on rice- my DH's Mommy Dearest likes to say!) but since safety is [i]more[/i] an issue aboard than on land, I can not imagine he will be out of our sights even for a second.

I did call Amtrak regarding booster seats or highchairs-they provide neither. Since I do not want to take ALL of our meals in the sleeper- just add that to the things I will be dragging along with us- the car seat (can't use it on the train, but have to bring it for the vacation!), the stroller, the bed rail, toys, sand pail and shovel, life jacket, 80 diapers, baby wipes, etc.

If anyone wants to see a circus, head to the Crescent boarding track at NYP next week. You might not see us under the luggage, but we will have a little one in tow and a smile on our faces!

:P
  by CharlotteJim

Sue/NJ3rd, it sounds like YOU'LL be one of the "sights" on the Crescent!

But for Otto's sake, perhaps we should start a new thread for travel with kids... :)