• Amtrak Autumn Express Thread

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

by ExCon90

Not only that, the train is apparently being run for the benefit of people who buy tickets to ride.
  by Mark_K

Is this the New Jersey routing for 2017 Autumn Express?

NY Penn to Newark Penn on NE Corridor

Newark Penn down NE Corridor to ex-LV Line

Train reverses then backs onto ex-LV Line

Oak Island Yard

Upper Newark Bay RR bridge

National Docks line/ Jersey City

Long Dock/Bergen Hill Tunnel

Bergen Jct

CSAO Northern Running Track

CSX River Subdivision to Rockland Co/NY State
  by CentralValleyRail

Still 8+ seats available (8 is max on Amtrak Website) for both days... I don't think this is selling as well because of the price point. While I agree that the routing is one of a kind and a once in a lifetime type of experience the fact that two tickets costs the same as my monthly Mercedes (C350 Coupe) payment is crazy. If I'm on the fence about it and make over 150K a year (which less than 5% of the country makes) have zero kids, how many other people do you think are really on the fence about it? I think quite a few are priced out. I get it Amtrak thinks they can make money on it and they can but they are pricing out families on this trip. What has gone from reasonable at $89 has gone to far and the lack of a sellout 2 weeks in proves that. What one would would spend here is 1/2 of what a 4 day ticket at Disney World costs...

While I definitely will catch the train somewhere in the Teaneck area whether I take the train or not will be a last second choice.
  by electricron

This ride to see leaves turning colors is an excursion service, it shouldn’t be subsidized by taxpayers. The fares should cover the entire costs to provide this service. Having gotten that off my chest, how much is too much they should charge for this ride through the forests? How many empty seats on the trains should be acceptable? If the trains are half empty, one could make the argument that fares were set too high. If there are no empty seats, one could make an argument that the fares were set too low. I’m sure Amtrak has a goal they’re trying to meet balancing fares with capacity, keeping in mind the cost to provide the service have to be met.
If the costs are too high for your family, may I suggest taking alternatives, like renting a car or taking a bus?
  by Mark_K

Aside from trying to mitigate the possibility of fist fights breaking out, why is Amtrak not
Including their one surviving dome car on this nontaxpsyersubsidized excursion?
  by chuchubob

It doesn't fit in NY Penn Station or in the North River tunnel.
  by RussM

Whether or not the trip is worth the price depends on how meaningful the experience is to the individual. I will be flying from the West Coast to do this trip, and staying two nights in NYC, which costs many times the excursion fare. I am retired, and on a limited income. Am I crazy ? You bet ! Anyway, does anyone have any guess as to how the boarding process will be handled ? Where is the best place to wait, and how early would it be advisable to get there to increase chances of getting a good seat on the Northbound leg ?
  by gprimr1

I wonder too, beyond the price point, maybe this route isn't as famous as others outside of rainfan circles? I'll admit, I've read people talk about how rare this is, I don't really know much about this rail line, or why it's historical significance compared to say, the Hoosaic Tunnel Route.

I'm also sure there are probably people waiting to see how the weather plays out. Since the price of the ticket is fixed, could put off buying one for a bit until I get a better idea of the weather conditions that day.

And I do agree that the price of the ticket should not be subsidized.
  by SouthernRailway

I'd pay twice the ticket price NOT to spend 10+ hours sitting in an Amfleet coach, so I am not going.

I wonder if the equipment used on the trip affects ridership. I'd gladly go if I could have a Viewliner room, or even seating in a Heritage coach.
  by Noel Weaver

Given the reluctance of the owning freight railroad and the fact that the last regular passenger trains operated over this interesting and very scenic railroad well over 50 years ago, add the operating costs for crews, pilots, supervisors, insurance and equipment and I do not think the price of a ticket is one bit out of line. This unique and very rare trackage might not be offered again for a long, long time. I worked most of this territory numerous times but you can bet that if I was still living in the northeast I would be riding the River Line just to bring back the memories of working this territory. That CSX is allowing this trip in the first place is nothing short of a miracle, ride this in 2017 while you still have the chance, it could be a long wait for your next opportunity if ever. You should see a lot of freight trains which makes it better yet.
Noel Weaver
  by Backshophoss

While I'm not sure of the date,Tri-state ran a fantrip on then Conrail's River Line with NJT equipment was a pair of round trips over a weekend.
Trip was from Hoboken to Selkirk and return. NJT U34CH and Comet I coaches/cab car.
This Amtrak sponsored trip will be the first pure passenger trip since that Tri-state sponsored trip,other then rarely seen biz car trips by CR and CSX :-)
Last edited by Backshophoss on Sun Sep 24, 2017 12:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
  by JoeG

There was an excursion on the West Shore about 30 years ago as part of an NRHS convention. i rode it, but as far as I know there hasn't been one since. In the eighties, freight traffic was much less than it is now. I figured I'd never see another excursion there. Since CSX isn't exactly excursion friendly I am really surprised they permitted this one. I'm sure Amtrak had to pay plenty to make this happen.

Yeah, different equipment would have been nice but I'll take what I can get. NJT multi-level cars would have made for better viewing but it's hard to see Amtrak running an excursion with someone else's cars.