• Amtrak Autumn Express Thread

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

by Alcochaser

Backshophoss wrote:Unless the plan is to have the P-32DM's take over at CP SM,figure on at least 2 runaround moves,1 at Hunter to head north to the River Line,
The other at CP SM to cross the river and head south on the Hudson line.
Wonder if a pair of GP38-3's could do the short tow from Newark up the ramp at Hunter to skip the runaround move there? :-)
Or you can use cars that have MU pass thru and put running engines on both ends.

One end would have a AC electric. These will function I believe as CAB CARS.
The other end would have a pair of P42DC.

Now wouldn't that be wild as feck. An ACS leading a train on the Hudson line!!!

Don't forget that there is AC overhead run out to CP empire on the Hudson. No need for the P32AC-DM, which are needed for the regular trains.

The release above does say the train will be pulled by an Electric to Newark.
Last edited by Alcochaser on Wed Aug 30, 2017 6:24 pm, edited 3 times in total.
  by Alcochaser

Greg Moore wrote:Are the foliage trains really 30 cars long?
30 is just the limit of the brake system in graduated release mode, and near the limit of the HEP.
  by Greg Moore

I can read thank you. That doesn't answer my question.

If the foliage trains are only say 15 cars, adding 5 PV cars isn't is an issue. If they are 30 cars long already, then your point has merit.
  by Alcochaser

Okay but most PVs do not have MU wiring. Which will most certainly be needed on this trip due to locos on both ends.
  by Backshophoss

Believe there's a limit to how many cars are allowed on the MU trainline before there's signal fade/corruption
Most Amfleet have an MU trainline.
Since this get to be at least a 20-25 car consist up to 28 cars total consist,that will well be beyond that limit!
  by Alcochaser

Okay well if it's that long, it's really near the graduated release/hep limit as I originally posted.

I imagine it will probably have diesels on both ends, even if not MUed. Running around would simply get in the way of CSX.
  by prr60

I believe HEP and power cable capacity limits Amtrak trains to a maximum of 18 passenger cars. The real constraint may be the ability to find spare cars that can be positioned for the trip. Last year's train was 15 cars. I would expect this year's to be similar.
  by SouthernRailway

On the Autumn Express, since the train will likely be Amfleet cars, are the cars Amfleet Is, and so is the trip kind of like a more scenic version of traveling between NYP and PHL, with all seats filled and you just sit there even in an aisle seat for 10 hours straight?

That doesn't sound pleasant.
  by NaugyRR

Well I broke down and booked a hotel for the night of the 13th to catch the Saturday train. I couldn't quite swing the New Yorker this time around (stayed there when Rush was at the Garden, couldn't ask for an easier hotel to get to from Penn/MSG), but managed to book the Hilton Double Tree by the South Ferry subway station. I figure checking out early on the 14th and catching a 1-Train to Penn shouldn't be too much of a pain; probably leave the hotel around 6AM to get to Penn early for some breakfast and to line up.
  by usroadman

SouthernRailway wrote:On the Autumn Express, since the train will likely be Amfleet cars, are the cars Amfleet Is, and so is the trip kind of like a more scenic version of traveling between NYP and PHL, with all seats filled and you just sit there even in an aisle seat for 10 hours straight?

Sort of. They recognize that some seats don't have windows, so my understanding is they don't sell every seat on the train. While getting 2 seats together or a window when traveling alone has always been a concern, it's worked out OK each time on the 3 times I've gone, and it doesn't seem like there are many (if any) people forced to split up or take an unwanted aisle. Last year I was alone and the seat next to me and at least 2 others I could see in my car stayed empty on the sold out trip. It seems like a lot of people are in groups and so naturally take the aisles anyway. It is a 10-hour trip in coach, but it's really not bad.
NaugyRR wrote:Well I broke down and booked a hotel for the night of the 13th to catch the Saturday train. I couldn't quite swing the New Yorker this time around (stayed there when Rush was at the Garden, couldn't ask for an easier hotel to get to from Penn/MSG), but managed to book the Hilton Double Tree by the South Ferry subway station. I figure checking out early on the 14th and catching a 1-Train to Penn shouldn't be too much of a pain; probably leave the hotel around 6AM to get to Penn early for some breakfast and to line up.
Last year they didn't do the early line up like they did previous years at 30th St and Rensselaer, it was just a place to wait until they were just about ready to board. I definitely prefer the "show up early for your choice of seats", but who knows what they'll do this year.
  by NaugyRR

I've always been a pretty firm believer in the "if you're not early, you're late" school of thought. I just figure leaving early from the hotel will give me extra time in case the subway's delayed, and even if I get there too early I can grab something to eat and stash some stuff for the ride.

How are the boxed lunches on these trips? I take it that they must overstock the cafe car to accommodate everyone looking for snacks during the ride?
  by Noel Weaver

SouthernRailway wrote:On the Autumn Express, since the train will likely be Amfleet cars, are the cars Amfleet Is, and so is the trip kind of like a more scenic version of traveling between NYP and PHL, with all seats filled and you just sit there even in an aisle seat for 10 hours straight?

Based on these remarks I think you would be better off just staying home. They will not have any trouble selling tickets for this trip, some folks who prefer window seates will not be able to have them. Too bad!! I have sat in aisle too on excursions, prefer windows but was glad I did the trip anyway.
Noel Weaver
  by Alcochaser

Last year they took the ACS-64 electric with them the whole trip.
Also two P42DC
Metroliner 9800 was also in the consist.
Three Amfleet 1 lounges were in the consist.
The rest was Amfleet 1 coaches.
About 14 cars.

In 2015 the Hoosac excursion was 11 cars
P40DC P42DC
3 A1 lounges
The rest A1 coaches.

In 2014 the consist was 15 cars
Two P42DC
3 A1 lounges
The rest A1 coaches

P40DC/P42DC
A1 coach 4
A1 lounge 2
Horizon coach 9
Metroliner 9800

So figure something like that.

Crazy question. Is there anything preventing an ACS-64 from being used as a Cab Car for two P42DC on the Hudson line?
  by Noel Weaver

Crazy question. Is there anything preventing an ACS-64 from being used as a Cab Car for two P42DC on the Hudson line?
I don't think anything prevents this, it might happen on this trip.
Noel Weaver
  by hazmatmess

NaugyRR wrote:How are the boxed lunches on these trips? I take it that they must overstock the cafe car to accommodate everyone looking for snacks during the ride?
Last year was a turkey and cheese sandwich with a bag of chips and a can of soda and I think a water. Wasn't bad. Came from a Quickcheck or Wawa. Have had WAAAYYYYY worse. As for sticking the cafe car..... I think on the Sunday train, they understocked the car. They didn't have all the items listed on the menu. I would pack some extra snacks. I had to because I had my growing 6 year old son with me. :)