• Amtrak Auto Train Discussion

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

by USRailFan

mlrr wrote:If you are talking about the first Superliner set then I'm not sure. I'm assuming that old Superliner I cars were re-fitted and custom made (interior wise) for the Auto Train.
Yes, I was thinking of the original consist at the time the train was first re-equipped as an all-Superliner consist. I'd guess this must've been in the early nineties?

by AmtrakFan

1995 or 96 it was
  by Gilbert B Norman

A February 1996 trip had a consist of A-II Coaches but Superliner Sleepers.

by mlrr

I do remember seeing some clips of a train where there was a mix of superliners and A-II coaches. That may have been the train unless other ran like that as well.

by ngotwalt

Auto Train lounges didn't show up for about 5 years after the reequip...use SII sightseers..consists was something like this Southbound, reversed northbound:
2xAMD 103
Diner
Coach
Coach
Coach
Diner
Lounge
Coach
Coach
Coach
S Sleeper
S Sleeper
D Sleeper
Diner
Lounge
D Sleeper
S Sleeper
S Sleeper
Crew Dorm
Auto Racks

Cheers,
Nick
  by jp1822

So what's the consist of the Auto Train today - what few Deluxe sleepers that were ordered - some have been wrecked I believe. Also do they still operate the train with all those diners and sleepers? I know the Auto train gets more sleepers than most other Amtrak trains on the system, but this seems like a lot! The Auto train generates more money by tagging autmobiles onto the back, but it also generates more money by filling all those sleepers. Makes one think if more sleepers were on some long distance trains, could the losses be less. Demand has to be there though.

Mr Norman - what was your Auto train consist?
  by jp1822

If Amtrak becomes short of Sightseer Lounges - I'd yank them from the Auto Train. It's essentially an overnight trip - one Lounge could suffice if needed. Sorry - I am just so annoyed (and biased) that the Cardinal still operates with single level equipment and the Viewliner fleet is shrunk to just a few routes.

by ngotwalt

The Auto Train doesn't have sightseer lounges anymore it Auto Train Lounges. These cars are very nicely rebuilt Superliner I dining cars rebuilt by the Sanford shop crews. One end is designed to accomidate overflow passengers from the dinning car.
Cheers,
Nick

by USRailFan

ngotwalt wrote:The Auto Train doesn't have sightseer lounges anymore it Auto Train Lounges. These cars are very nicely rebuilt Superliner I dining cars rebuilt by the Sanford shop crews. One end is designed to accomidate overflow passengers from the dinning car.
Cheers,
Nick
When were these rebuilds done?

by ngotwalt

My guess is these cars were rebuilt somewhere around late 98, early 99. I have seen pictures of them in service in 99 so...
Cheers,
Nick
  by capltd29

It is my understanding that amtrak has ordered new auto carriers for the Auto train. I have a trip leaving on easter sunday down to florida. Will my precious New Beetle be a lucky passenger in one of the new carriers?

When are they scheduled to arrive?

JP
  by TheBaran

I realize that with Amtrak's funding crisis, any capital for service expansion is not to be expected. However, in a fantasy world where money was available, what would be the drawback of using part of the now-closed GM assembly plant in Linden as an Autotrain northern terminal? I know that the DC tunnels cannot support autoracks, however, there must be some reasonable alternate routing that can be considered.

The GM location would require a minimum investment to support the service. The rail infrastructure is in place, including facilities to support automobile loading. You can beat the location, rail-wise, right next to the NEC. Market access is huge and Linden is situated next to many highways serving the NY/NJ metro area. As it currently stands, what should be a 5-hour drive to Lorton from NJ ends up taking 7 to 8 hours on a good day, and this likely serves to turn away NY/NJ customers.

GM-Linden is likely a brownfield site. There are funding sources available to reclaim brownfield sites for new uses. Linden has built enough big box stores across the street (Route 1) to preclude any retail development of the site.

Finally, I do recall an effort by Autotrain in the 1970s (not sure if it was part of Amtrak at that time) to locate a terminal in the NY/NJ area. At one point, the old Staten Island Railroad Terminal yard in Cranford was being considered, but was ultimately rejected due to NIMBY opposition.

by Otto Vondrak

AutoTrain did not become an Amtrak operation until 1982, I think?

I heard something like AutoTrain cars and catenary don't mix, which is why the train comes out of Virginia, and not Washington, D.C.

-otto-

by AmtrakFan

Otto,
Amtrak did take over the Auto Train in 82. Autoracks plus Catnary not a pretty scene.