Railroad Forums 

• Amtrak and the Eclipse

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1641934  by Greg Moore

For various reasons, I had put off planning for my eclipse travels until it was almost too late. Between that and work schedules, I was limited in my travel plans. That said, having experienced totality in 2017, I was determined in seeing it again this time around, even it meant sitting in a car for hours on the way back.

About two weeks ago a thought struck me: "was it possible that the Adirondack schedule would work?"
Sure enough, looking at it, I could board in Albany, and take it north to Port Henry or even Westport, get off, enjoy the eclipse and then get on the southbound train. I can't recall why I choose Port Henry over Westport, but I did. A pair of tickets and I was golden. The next day my son decided to join us, but in a mistake in communication, he bought his tickets to Westport. Fortunately he was able to change that on the day of departure while at the station.

Now I figured I wasn't unique in my idea, but I didn't realize how many others would have the same idea!
There were folks from NYC who rode the train the entire way. A woman behind us who got on the train in Albany and met the rest of her family in Saratoga. Another father/daughter pair and many more.

Originally I was a bit undecided about the two choices. Port Henry gave me more time on the ground and the best chance of not missing the eclipse because of the train being late, etc. On the other hand, Westport had planned activities rather close to the train station.

In fact, according to the conductor, 130 people were scheduled to get off at Port Henry (and I assume get back on there). Doing a little digging, it looks like on an average day, Westport has a total of 7.7 arriving or departing. So to say this was probably their busiest day ever is probably not an exaggeration. I later overheard a local (I assume the town supervisor) mention that Amtrak had contacted him only a few days previously to let him know 150 people were getting off at Port Henry.

So fortunately, they put together a small get together at the area around the train platform. This included a local with a portable trailer pizza oven (a bit expensive, but so worth it) and some local Amish selling wares. But overall, it was a nice comfortable place to enjoy the eclipse.

I should note that Amtrak ran its standard length Adirondack with 4 coaches and one cafe care. I highly suspect they could have sold out more seats had they added a coach or two.

Sure enough, Southbound, the Adirondack was late, but only about 10-15 minutes and from the best I can tell, that was all due to taking longer than usual at Westport. My guess is Westport didn't have quite as many people, but probably far more than usual.

So, overall, Amtrak was 100% the right choice and delivered.
(side note, I had bought fully refundable tickets in the event that the cloud cover looked bad, or if it was extremely late arriving at Albany).

Anyone use take advantage of Amtrak for this event?
 #1641939  by RandallW

My daughter and two friends took the Acela from DC to NYC to see the eclipse in Central Park (not total, but more coverage than down here in VA).
 #1642010  by ST Saint

I took the LSL out of NYC the day before to Utica to continue up to Ft. Drum for totality. Well worth it!
 #1642058  by STrRedWolf

Crew opens lounge car for groups during eclipse trip (Trains Mag)

In short, they opened all cars but the lounge on the way down, but saw some opportunity, got the lounge cleaned up, and had groups of two or more sit in the lounge to stay together. Good PR move!
More than 430 passengers rode at least a portion of Amtrak’s southbound Saluki and northbound Illini between the Chicago and Carbondale, Ill., on Monday. Many were taking advantage of a schedule change which made it possible for customers to witness a rare four minutes of totality in the southern Illinois city during the April 8 solar eclipse...

What they did do, however, was direct passengers traveling in groups of two or more boarding at stops after Carbondale to “keep walking” to the front of the train, knowing that finding two seats together would otherwise be difficult. The result: the Sightseer filled up with travelers who would otherwise have been separated.
 #1642091  by MACTRAXX

Everyone:

The April 8, 2024 Solar Eclipse was going to be an interesting day for Amtrak with travel to the areas that were In the "total" zone in demand...My first thought after the mention of about one million visitors at Niagara Falls was "Any idea about the percentage that took Amtrak, VIA Rail Canada and GO Transit's Niagara service?"

What was unfortunate that the weather being forecast in Western New York was for cloud cover with some rain. With this in mind two NYC TV stations - WCBS 2 and WABC 7 - sent their lead weather forecasters to Lake Placid and Burlington, VT respectively instead of Syracuse and Rochester for live reports and eclipse coverage...

The best viewing areas turned out to be from the Adirondack Mountains north and eastward and from northern Ohio south and westward towards southeast Missouri and northeastern Arkansas...

Virtual Railfan included two eclipse locations in their April 8, 2024 Grab Bag:
https://YouTube.com/watch?v=rdM_sBc92Qc
9:45 - Russellville, Arkansas (viewing party)
10:45 - Fairport, New York - CSX - Mile 361 (10 miles east of Rochester Amtrak Station-Mile 371)

RW-I was going to mention Chicago to Carbondale, IL rail service after seeing a news report from Southern Illinois University showing the total eclipse period...With the mentioned favorable timetable change for the Illini and Saluki service there was added demand for these trains - 310 miles one way Chicago-Carbondale. 620 miles is quite a bit of riding to view the total eclipse - an event that lasted less than 10 minutes at any specific location on the 100 percent totality path...but a rare once-in-a-lifetime event for those interested.

In the end there was ample news coverage and video available about the April 8, 2024 Solar Eclipse...
Good memories for those able to experience this event live - and for anyone else...MACTRAXX
 #1642183  by NealG

I watched it from a farm in Albany, in Vermont's Northeast Kingdom just a few miles northwest of St. Johnsbury. I was based at my family's vacation place in Haverhill, NH, normally an hour's drive away. While sitting in 10 MPH traffic on I-91 looking forlornly from the front passenger seat at the tracks that run parallel to the interstate from New Haven to the Canadian border, I was thinking it was a lost opportunity for the folks at VRS or Amtrak to run an eclipse special north of White River Junction to the NEK (to their credit, VRS's Green Mountain Railroad did run a special from Rutland to Burlington). It took over two hours to get from Albany to St. Johnsbury, where we exited and took the parallel and very lightly traveled US-5 instead for the final 45 minutes, crossing the Connecticut at Wells River/Woodsville.
 #1642271  by John_Perkowski

Greg Moore wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 3:36 pm I should note that Amtrak ran its standard length Adirondack with 4 coaches and one cafe care. I highly suspect they could have sold out more seats had they added a coach or two.
Bite your tongue!

Amtrak, add cars for an event? They sure don’t seem to manage passenger seats at all well.
 #1642287  by Greg Moore

It dawned on me major total eclipse in the US will be in 2044.
I wonder if folks will still be riding Amfleet cars to get to it! :-)

(That said, looks like really only North Dakota and Montana will be in the path of totality so it'll be Superliners :-)
 #1642303  by RandallW

John_Perkowski wrote:
Greg Moore wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 3:36 pm I should note that Amtrak ran its standard length Adirondack with 4 coaches and one cafe care. I highly suspect they could have sold out more seats had they added a coach or two.
Bite your tongue!

Amtrak, add cars for an event? They sure don’t seem to manage passenger seats at all well.
For the state supported routes, Amtrak is pretty good about adding seats for events if the supporting state is willing to support it. The Piedmont services get extra coaches whenever they anticipate heavier than normal loads (and they will even use temporary stations at the event if possible).