• Amtrak 90218 and Sequel: May 30 Collision Jackson MI

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

by Metra 47 607

Amtrak 90218 is now the second cabbage car to wear phase 5 paint. I saw it today on the Hiawatha train.

by Engineer James

I am sorry. But that number sounds like a F40 that runs here along with the Michigan service....

Maybe I have numbers confused? :-)

by Gilbert B Norman

You could well have observed NPCU 90218 on a Wolverine train, James. The unit is assigned to Chicago and could easily come out your way.

by wigwagfan

Engineer James wrote:I am sorry. But that number sounds like a F40 that runs here along with the Michigan service....

Maybe I have numbers confused? :-)
It looks like an F40PH; it smells like an F40PH (I'm guessing - never been inside either a F40 or a NPCU) - but it don't sound like a F40.

URL LINK

(Contains an interesting article on the NPCUs used in Oregon and Washington, written for a non-railfan audience.)

by Tadman

There's another cabbage observed in Phase(1991) I think it's 90222. I saw it briefly in Michigan City last weekend.
  by RMadisonWI

Metra 47 607 wrote:Amtrak 90218 is now the second cabbage car to wear phase 5 paint. I saw it today on the Hiawatha train.
Here's a shot of that very cabbage on that very train (well, the Hiawatha on Monday, I don't know if it's the same trip...this photo was taken around 2:30 pm at Edgebrook, which would have made it a somewhat-late train 336):

PHOTO

by DutchRailnut

90218 has no luck it was just modified into a 90218 bash 2
PHOTO

by hsr_fan

Ouch, looks pretty bad. I can't find any news articles about this collision, but I'm guessing it must have struck a loaded truck or something equally large and heavy.

by Lirr168

It hit a truck at a grade crossing. Driver of the truck was killed and ~15 passengers suffered some minor injuries. There was a fairly significant fire that resulted, damn near burned the new paint off the locomotive; look closely and you can see the striping showing through!

by Engineer James

Yep, thats her.... I do not like the new paint. I Have a pic somewhere of her coming over a grade crossing in the old paint. As for the accident, OUCH! :( Will they fix her?

Associated Press

by hsr_fan

Engineer James wrote:Will they fix her?
And how about that Amfleet cafe? Any damage?

by Engineer James

Look at this photo: http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.p ... d1e5924c6a

It is scary. Umm Scooter, news reports said that only the conductor was in #90218. What was the rear unit? From all reports, the CONDUCTOR blew the Emergency stop signal on the horn, and also had everything Lights and horn on before hitting the truck. The driver tried to beat the train... should have known not to beat a 70 mph NCPU.

by MEC407

Thank God this train was led by an NPCU and not a cab car... otherwise we'd probably be talking about 15 dead passengers rather than 15 injured passengers.

by shadyjay

Thank God this train was led by an NPCU and not a cab car... otherwise we'd probably be talking about 15 dead passengers rather than 15 injured passengers.
I think about that every time I take the Vermonter.... the backup move covers an area where there is both heavy traffic and lots of grade crossings. I never understood why another cabbage/NPCU can't be created to lead the train during the "backup".

-Jay H.