• American Flyer rubber tires/no traction!

• Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.
Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.

Moderators: 3rdrail, stilson4283, Otto Vondrak

by valleydivision

Hi, a few months ago I posted a problem with a AF steam engine, and I got some good advice, which I thank all who contributed for. I have since got the engine running. A new engine has come along, it's a C&NW Baldwin switcher, No. 21801. It has a motorized truck, all parts work well, the reverse unit is fine. The problem is it slips and can't gain traction unless I put a little weight on it. The powered wheel set has changeable rubber tires, I think they are Pull-Mor, and I hope by getting new ones it will perform better. Question: in your opinion, will changing the rubber tires most likely be enough to get it to gain traction again?

Thanks in advance,

Steve Johnson
Kingsburg, CA
  by RS112556

Replacement of the traction tire(s) can make a world of difference; especially on a locomotive like that Baldwin that's a tad on the light side. Give it a shot; you should see a marked difference.

Jim M.