• ALP-45-DP Usage/Service Patterns

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

by MACTRAXX

Beanbag and Dutch: I call Amtrak's/MARC's HHP8s "Armadillos"...Ever notice the resemblance?

I will submit "Elephants" for a thought here...The ALP45s are definitely large enough...

MACTRAXX
  by ACeInTheHole

Oh, didn't know that with the hippos.. Hmm.. Humpbacks? Whales? Bananas? armadillos work for the HHPs.. Haha. I always called them bananas.
  by Ken S.

DutchRailnut wrote:your bit late, hippo's is used for HHP of mtrak
I've heard the term used for the R68s at NYCT also.
  by ACeInTheHole

I have the perfect one for the 45s.. Belugas!
  by 25Hz

An airplane all ready has that one.

John Kerry, because they have that tall front end over the windshield... ;)

Well since we call GP's geeps I'm going to call them "deeps" ie the alp45DP or "the coolest thing since C&O M1". ;)

Leapin' on the train to meet some peeps, hopin' its powered by a deep! :-P
  by ACeInTheHole

I give up. Lol.
  by michaelk

i gotta ask- and please forgive my ignorance- what does the speed range of a diesel engine (alone) have to do with efficiency?

For example, aren't modern gasoline engines built to run at higher RPM to be MORE fuel efficient?

Don't displacement and injector patterns and a billion other variables also matter? Or is the engine's speed just one of the several variables that make them more thirsty?
  by ACeInTheHole

michaelk wrote:i gotta ask- and please forgive my ignorance- what does the speed range of a diesel engine (alone) have to do with efficiency?

For example, aren't modern gasoline engines built to run at higher RPM to be MORE fuel efficient?

Don't displacement and injector patterns and a billion other variables also matter? Or is the engine's speed just one of the several variables that make them more thirsty?
Michael... Does your car get the best fuel economy when you're flooring it or when youre taking it easy and keeping the revs down? The trick to better fuel economy is less load on the engine.. In this case slower speed prime mover. Engine speed is a major variable in fuel efficiency, slower speed, less work on the engine, better fuel efficiency. Many other variables such as type of engine, (V6, V8.. Or in the case of locomotives, 12 cylinders vs. 16 cylinders also can affect it too.
  by michaelk

beanbag wrote:
michaelk wrote:i gotta ask- and please forgive my ignorance- what does the speed range of a diesel engine (alone) have to do with efficiency?

Michael... Does your car get the best fuel economy when you're flooring it or when youre taking it easy and keeping the revs down? The trick to better fuel economy is less load on the engine.. In this case slower speed prime mover. Engine speed is a major variable in fuel efficiency, slower speed, less work on the engine, better fuel efficiency. Many other variables such as type of engine, (V6, V8.. Or in the case of locomotives, 12 cylinders vs. 16 cylinders also can affect it too.
Sure, for a given engine at idle without any load- the faster the rpm=the more fuel you are using. But as an example- a diesel locomotive with hundred liters of displacement running at 100 rpm is still burning way more fuel than a 5 liter diesel at 5,000 rpm. So it's rpm is still just one factor.

But if you are trying to produce X amount of horsepower and that requires 1,000 rpm on one engine and 2,000 rpm on another (because it's got lesser displacement maybe?)- I'm not sure that it matters as much. Does it? If not and the 45's engines never can drop their load entirely becasue they also have to provide X HP for HEP then does the rpm matter that much? (Or is the RPM artificially limited higher than needed for HEP to get the proper frequency or something?)

Maybe there's another thing going on like RPM is older technology and therefore devoid of modern emission rules which make things less efficient or something like that?

Or is really that everything else aside the RPM range of an engine alone it that much of a dominating of a factor? And if it is- what is the point of making medium or high rpm engines?
  by andre

MACTRAXX wrote:Beanbag and Dutch: I call Amtrak's/MARC's HHP8s "Armadillos"...Ever notice the resemblance?

I will submit "Elephants" for a thought here...The ALP45s are definitely large enough...

MACTRAXX
How about "StormTroopers"

;-)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
  by northjerseybuff

I know I asked this question previously, but i'll throw it out there again, now that the dual modes are approaching a year of service.
Will we see Midtown direct trains go to Port Morris with dual modes?
Also, will we ever see weekend service west of Bay St?
  by ACeInTheHole

Not until the 20 that Sandy crippled are fixed at the very least.
  by blockline4180

beanbag wrote:Not until the 20 that Sandy crippled are fixed at the very least.
Are you sure it was 20???

I saw a procurement over the weekend that said 11 will be repaired in house.... Or were the remaining 9 the ones NOT owned by NJT??
  by ACeInTheHole

blockline4180 wrote:
beanbag wrote:Not until the 20 that Sandy crippled are fixed at the very least.
Are you sure it was 20???

I saw a procurement over the weekend that said 11 will be repaired in house.... Or were the remaining 9 the ones NOT owned by NJT??
Look at the fleet number blockline, it was 9 damaged out of a fleet of 23. We ordered and have had delivery of the last one of 35(4534), the highest numbered dual mode I have seen in service outside of 4534 (the only one to get here after the hurricane) is 4520. So, that automatically isolates 4522-4533 as the dozen that were damaged (remember that article that was in the main thread that said bombardier still owns a dozen of them) before they could be accepted, and the reason why NJTs site shows 9 damaged out of 23, the other dozen were damaged before they could be accepted, hence why they are not listed, because Bombardier still owns them, however your statistic there does show promise, because 11 is more than the 9 that were damaged after acceptance, so that means NJT is gearing up to get even those units ready to go as well.
  by Tadman

Mod note: This was an April Fools thread, we're going to lock it up. Thanks for your good humor.