Railroad Forums 

• All things Pennsylvanian AND Keystone West

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1642207  by STrRedWolf

There's been reports in local press that definitely ask for a second round trip that leaves Pittsburgh later in the day, but from what I saw... I think the expectation was more "I want to day-trip into Pittsburgh from Altoona" than just double capacity.... which to be honest, both are a good idea.

That said... yes, the later group will poach some existing riders. There will be a lot of conventioneers who would love a few extra hours of sleep after dancing and partying the night before... but there will be others waking up way early to catch the early train because it was the only seat available. Both trains will get filled, and NS had best get another track through Pittsburgh Union station before too long because I do see within a decade the demand for a third trip.
 #1642208  by TheOneKEA

Will Amtrak be able to use the existing pair of trainsets for the second trip or will they have to source a whole new set of Amfleets, including a 110mph-capable baggage car? I have heard anecdotal reports stating that many of Amtrak's high-speed baggage cars are either out of service pending repair, or already in use on all of the existing services.
 #1642224  by STrRedWolf

TheOneKEA wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2024 12:10 pm Will Amtrak be able to use the existing pair of trainsets for the second trip or will they have to source a whole new set of Amfleets, including a 110mph-capable baggage car? I have heard anecdotal reports stating that many of Amtrak's high-speed baggage cars are either out of service pending repair, or already in use on all of the existing services.
They'll need another pair. The two trains, as it stands now, are only staggered about three hours apart from each other.