• Airliner wing car, AVCX 1001

• General discussion about locomotives, rolling stock, and equipment
General discussion about locomotives, rolling stock, and equipment

Moderator: John_Perkowski

by francis wong

Looking for diagrams, photos, and slides of triple unit well cars used for jetliner wings from AVCO, Nashville TN, to Lockheed, Palmdale CA for the L-1011 jetliner.

These enclosed cars are listed in the Equipment Register at 89' each and 19'5" over rail. Car Cyclopedia says that they were designed by L&N and built by Southern Iron (SEICO) in 1971. According to production records, 233 round trips were made on the L&N-SP routing netween 1971 and 1983.

Car numbers were 1-2-3-4001 and 1-2-3-4003 for the wing cars and 1-2-3-4002 for the enclosed idler.

I'm also interested in any operating procedures imposed for these cars.

Thanks for any assistance.

Francis Wong
P.O. Box 1411
Mtn View CA 94042-1411
  by tomd_trains

Hello Francis:

There was an article and a couple of photos of these cars in Mainline Modeler in March of 2002. If you do not have it, I can send you a copy of it. I am also intrested in these large cars too.

Tom Daspit
Morgan Hill, CA
Visit my Schnabel and Large Flat car web page at http://www.garlic.com/~tomd
francis wong wrote:Looking for diagrams, photos, and slides of triple unit well cars used for jetliner wings from AVCO, Nashville TN, to Lockheed, Palmdale CA for the L-1011 jetliner.

These enclosed cars are listed in the Equipment Register at 89' each and 19'5" over rail. Car Cyclopedia says that they were designed by L&N and built by Southern Iron (SEICO) in 1971. According to production records, 233 round trips were made on the L&N-SP routing netween 1971 and 1983.

Car numbers were 1-2-3-4001 and 1-2-3-4003 for the wing cars and 1-2-3-4002 for the enclosed idler.

I'm also interested in any operating procedures imposed for these cars.

Thanks for any assistance.

Francis Wong
P.O. Box 1411
Mtn View CA 94042-1411
  by francis wong

Tom,

The flat car site is a GREAT collection. I will have to take all the hot links because there's bound to be some treasure I've never seen before. I see that you, too, were fascinated by the PRR "Queen Mary" flat car. I have read that the well car uses the same end bogies; that's why the model only provides one pair for either the flat or the well. Of course, I have the Bowser trucks to make a second set so both can run on the layout together. One link you might add is the Rail Industrial Clearance Association, I seem to recall it as rica.org. Lots of oversize and dimensional loads info there.

The rider cars for the Thiokol shuttle motors are private passenger cars based in Salinas CA! One is a former SAL Budd combine, the other is a modified SAL Pullman sleeper "Hialeah".

I have the Mainline Modeler, of course. The 1970 Car Cyclopedia has a photo of one unit of the finished car. Your pictures of the DC-10 cars will help too, since the two aircraft were so similar. Photo by photo, fact by fact, it's being solved.

Francis Wong
  by tomd_trains

Hello Francis:

Thanks for the nice comments on my web site, it has come a long way in seven years.

I tried to purchase a second set of trucks for the Queen Mary from RailWorks but the would only sell a complete package. I will look into the Bowser trucks, which ones are they?

On my future layout, I want to have a train with all of my schnabel and flat cars, WECX 102, WECX 203, WECX 200 (currently building), CEBX 800 (36 axles) (just started to work on) and the Queen Mary (both flat and well). This will be a huge train with lots of flat cars spacing out the load and available for extra braking.

I am designing the CEBX 800 to be able to shift and raise the load via DCC commands. I am planning to us RC plane servos to do the work. Just work out how to do the shifter, and will try to mock it up this weekend, depending on free time.

Where in Salinas are the rider cars for the rocket trains stored? It is just a short trip down 101 for me. I want to make a couple of the rocked cars, using the 8 axle flats that are coming out from Walthers soon.

I will have to go look at my links page, I think that the RICA page is linked.

There is a big schnabel car coming out our way. It is BBCX 1000. All I know, is that the guy that rides with it, got his wife to send me an email that he was coming to California, do not know when or where yet. If you are intrested let me know.

Lets continue this disussion via email (tomd at garlic dot com).

What all do you have on the AVCX car besides what you mentioned.

Tom
francis wong wrote:Tom,

The flat car site is a GREAT collection. I will have to take all the hot links because there's bound to be some treasure I've never seen before. I see that you, too, were fascinated by the PRR "Queen Mary" flat car. I have read that the well car uses the same end bogies; that's why the model only provides one pair for either the flat or the well. Of course, I have the Bowser trucks to make a second set so both can run on the layout together. One link you might add is the Rail Industrial Clearance Association, I seem to recall it as rica.org. Lots of oversize and dimensional loads info there.

The rider cars for the Thiokol shuttle motors are private passenger cars based in Salinas CA! One is a former SAL Budd combine, the other is a modified SAL Pullman sleeper "Hialeah".

I have the Mainline Modeler, of course. The 1970 Car Cyclopedia has a photo of one unit of the finished car. Your pictures of the DC-10 cars will help too, since the two aircraft were so similar. Photo by photo, fact by fact, it's being solved.

Francis Wong