• Afternoon Fun

• General discussion about railroad operations, related facilities, maps, and other resources.
General discussion about railroad operations, related facilities, maps, and other resources.

Moderator: Robert Paniagua

by steamguy

My youngest (an engineer on a Class 1) called me from the cab today while awaiting a clear signal and asked if I'd pick him up when he got back to his terminal as his car had a flat tire.

Having told me where he was, it suddenly dawned on me that I could probably get to where he was before he got the signal and I was almost right. I had the privilege of watching the kid take 55 empties out on the main with a pair of SD-60s.

Most fun I've had chasing a train in a long time. Just amazing. And he's a good kid, too!

by slchub

Amazing stuff, huh? Maybe someday he'll have a cool conductor and have you meet him somewhere and climb aboard for a few.

Did you say "That's my Boy!"?

by steamguy

slchub wrote:Amazing stuff, huh? Maybe someday he'll have a cool conductor and have you meet him somewhere and climb aboard for a few.

Did you say "That's my Boy!"?
You bet I did. I'm very, very proud of him. I know some of the conductors he works with and they say he's a heckuva good guy to run with.

by GOLDEN-ARM

Now, if you can only finesse your way, into a ride across the division......... :-D

by steamguy

GOLDEN-ARM wrote:Now, if you can only finesse your way, into a ride across the division......... :-D
A ride would be nice, but quite unnecessary. It was more than enough for me to see him up on the engineer's seat, a grin on his face as he brought his train out onto the main. He enjoys the job and sometimes stops by on his way home from work to drink coffee and chat about the peculiarities of dispatchers, student conductors and other assorted characters. Heckuva deal for a 22 year old.