• aerial railfanning WNY 5/08

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

by SST

Woke up this morning to blues skies and the plane was wide open. So I took to the friendly skies. All was not so friendly though as I made my way south. The winds were strong out of the north and was causing some pretty good turbulence. The pollution layer was thicker than I've ever seen it. While flying at 4500 feet over Mayville I still couldn't see Lake Erie.

No movements on the BR&P although a single unit was parked south of Great Valley near the quarry. Seems to be its standard parking spot along 219. After my breakfast I departed for Mayville to "research" the PRR out of Mayville. It comes near a gorge several miles south. My Uncle and I want to bike ride the row to get to the gorge but it doesn't look like it actually goes over it. We'll have to ride the row then get on a road to ride it most of the way in. We'll see I guess.

Headed north to Dunkirk and made a pitstop. Cute girl working the counter. I even bought a chart. Then departed and followed the rails home. There were many cars parked at Ralston Purina. One train was stopped a few miles north but the two locomotives were seperated from them and not moving. Several trains were not moving along the way but several were making there way in each direction.

Eventually I came upon the Ford Plant and caught up with a NS train entering the yard behind Tift St. There was a CSX waiting to cross the Buffalo River northbound but was waiting for a CSX train that stopped on the bridge. No one was moving.

After passing the Buffalo River I headed up the Niagara River but saw no further action. One train was sitting in the Fort Erie yard. That was it.

I just remembered that when I departed Akron and crossed over the CSX mainline, I could see RR ties piled along side the rails from horizon to horizon.