• Adding lighting to N scale passenger trains

• Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.
Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.

Moderators: 3rdrail, stilson4283, Otto Vondrak

by netrain

i have several of the n scale r32 nyc subway car kits from imperial hobby. i know there are kits by kato that add interior lighting to the cars, but i would also like to add the headlights and red tail lights to the train. is there anything on the market for that in n scale? or perhaps does anybody have any suggestions as to how this may be possible?

thanks,
richard
  by Otto Vondrak

netrain wrote:i have several of the n scale r32 nyc subway car kits from imperial hobby. i know there are kits by kato that add interior lighting to the cars, but i would also like to add the headlights and red tail lights to the train. is there anything on the market for that in n scale? or perhaps does anybody have any suggestions as to how this may be possible?
To add headlights and markers, you'll most likely have to do those modifications yourself. Using LED's is a good start. Constant lighting systems (the ones that dont depend on track power) can be readily found through Walthers and other suppliers.
  by netrain

thanks otto. any ideas where i can get REALLY small leds? like smaller than 3mm? i'd like to add lights to solid resin kit n scale vehicles as well.

thanks
r.
  by AntonioFP45

netrain wrote:thanks otto. any ideas where i can get REALLY small leds? like smaller than 3mm? i'd like to add lights to solid resin kit n scale vehicles as well.

thanks
r.
NeTrain, did you check out this company already: http://www.ngineering.com/index.htm
  by green_elite_cab

your best bet is a decoder and some SMD LEDs. These are very tiny, and should fit. Some fiber optics could help you get the small size you need, and using some transparent red paint (i use some from Tamiya) will make it glow red, if you can't find a small red LED.

If you're on DC, you could also mount a wire clip on the axle, which has just enough of a hold that it spins whichever way the truck goes. by adding contacts on either side of the clip, you can energize the headlights or tail lights depending on direction of travel. it works really well, trust me!
  by Dieter

If you have difficulty finding what you need, try BLAN;

Blan Electronics Corp
15748 26th Ave
Flushing, NY 11354
718-746-5222

These guys have a massive assortment of everything you can imagine. They even carry a full line of Turntable Belts. They used to have a store in lower Manhattan.

D/