• Actual railroads in video games?

• Discussion related to railroads/trains that show up in TV shows, commercials, movies, literature (books, poems and more), songs, the Internet, and more... Also includes discussion of well-known figures in the railroad industry or the rail enthusiast hobby.
Discussion related to railroads/trains that show up in TV shows, commercials, movies, literature (books, poems and more), songs, the Internet, and more... Also includes discussion of well-known figures in the railroad industry or the rail enthusiast hobby.

Moderator: Aa3rt

by Raakone

Firstly, I do not mean simulators like MS Train simulator. I mean others. Anyone noticed any actual railroads, or spoofs thereof?

There's some game where you're trying to drive a truck cross country within a time limit and avoiding damage, I saw the demo.....and there's an "ATTAKER" train, that looks exactly like Amtrak in Phase III....except for the name.

Anyone else seen anything like this?

~Ra'akone

by shortlinerailroader

Smuggler's Run for PS2 has a level with what I have decided is a C40-8. In this game you must drive various types of vehicles around a large landscape and deliver contriband without getting caught. The orange locomotive reminds me of BNSF, but it has an "SR" on it. The train is four cars long, and this level is the "U.S./Canadian Border".

by scannergeek

There was an arcade video game, of course I can't remember the title now, in that you were playing a cop that pulled over other cars. The view was from the top and you would drive your police car along the road. You would hit a "fire" button to activate your lights and pull over a car. The lawbreakers would try to elude you, and if you pulled over an innocent car, you would lose points.

Hopefully that description would help someone find the title.

Anyway, as you were speeding up the road in your police car, you would occasionally cross a track that had a Southern Pacific high-nose EMD SD7 pass, pulling 3-4 boxcars. The locomotive was clearly in the black and red Southern Pacific paint scheme, and I think it even said "Southern Pacific" on the side.

by CSX Conductor

ShortLine perhaps that your railroad with the "SR" on it. But I'm sure it is for Smuggler's Run....LOL :P

One of my friends has that game and I recall seeing the train breifly.

by shortlinerailroader

CSX Conductor, perhaps it IS "Smugglers Run", but when I play I usually go "Hi-railing" on "Shortline Railroad". You can inspect a LOT of track at 125 MPH! :-D

by CSX Conductor

Yes, on the rare occasion that play Trains Simulator, I get bored and take the huge freights down any old siding to see where it goes. lol :P

by shortlinerailroader

I also do that on MS Train Simulator after playing it for a while, Conductor. Exploring is fun, and the train wreck looks pretty realistic as the cars pile into one another.

by Butterfly70

Was it Smuggler's Run? I know there is one on Smuggler's Run 2. My son was playing that one last week and pointed it out to me. Maybe I need to play it, so I can see which one it is....lol

by shortlinerailroader

Grand Theft Auto San Andreas is set in "California" and "Nevada". In addition to various types of vehicles you can board and drive a train consisting of an F40PH and two Superliner cars. It is silver and lettered "Brown Streak Railroad" (I wwonder what the programmers think of Amtrak?). If you go too fast you will derail and there is no horn.
  by Mike Roque

scannergeek wrote:There was an arcade video game, of course I can't remember the title now, in that you were playing a cop that pulled over other cars. The view was from the top and you would drive your police car along the road. You would hit a "fire" button to activate your lights and pull over a car. The lawbreakers would try to elude you, and if you pulled over an innocent car, you would lose points.

I think you're talking about a game called Officer Bob...? I remember playing something like that when I was a kid.

Did you have to pull over "litterbugs"?

by CSX Conductor

shortlinerailroader wrote:Grand Theft Auto San Andreas is set in "California" and "Nevada". In addition to various types of vehicles you can board and drive a train consisting of an F40PH and two Superliner cars. It is silver and lettered "Brown Streak Railroad" (I wwonder what the programmers think of Amtrak?). If you go too fast you will derail and there is no horn.
Maybe brown was the next color they thought of when they realized that Silver Streak was used as a movie title. :P
  by scannergeek

webmaster wrote:I think you're talking about a game called Officer Bob...? I remember playing something like that when I was a kid.
Did you have to pull over "litterbugs"?
That might have been it...I did a google and the title APB also comes up. Yes, in this game you had to pull over litterbugs.
I only saw that game once, as a kid, and the arcade cabinet was in a "dark corner" of the arcade so I don't think it was a hugely popular arcade game :P I wonder if anyone made a ROM dump of the game-it would be nice to see that SP train again :-D
  by Mike Roque

scannergeek wrote:I wonder if anyone made a ROM dump of the game-it would be nice to see that SP train again :-D
I think I found a ROM of it after an extensive search. I don't have it now--the point is that it's probably out there.

by sandpvrr

Hello All,
Not to suggest anyone go out and buy a game for this but - If anyone has Need for Speed Underground - Not 2, the original - one of the drag race tracks requires the player to jump over a train to win the race. A ramp is provided for doing this. There is no way to beat the train across the crossing. I think this is a take off on the scene from the Fast and the Furious, where Vin Diesel's character hits a truck after beating a train across a crossing.
And that is, I believe, the only train reference I have found in a video/computer game that wasn't directly train related!
cya, Joey

by Metalrailz

There was an arcade video game, of course I can't remember the title now, in that you were playing a cop that pulled over other cars. The view was from the top and you would drive your police car along the road. You would hit a "fire" button to activate your lights and pull over a car. The lawbreakers would try to elude you, and if you pulled over an innocent car, you would lose points.

Anyway, as you were speeding up the road in your police car, you would occasionally cross a track that had a Southern Pacific high-nose EMD SD7 pass, pulling 3-4 boxcars. The locomotive was clearly in the black and red Southern Pacific paint scheme, and I think it even said "Southern Pacific" on the side.
This game was called APB. If you go to KLOV.com (Killer List of VideoGames) and check in "A" you will see a description of the game with cabinet and screen shots.
Try this link:
http://www.klov.com/game_detail.php?let ... me_id=6795