• Acela--Fastest Speed Between Adjacent Stops

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

by andrewjw

R36 Combine Coach wrote:
daybeers wrote:Yep, one of the big problems there right now is Amtrak and MARC trains getting stuck behind each other.
As I've brought up before, convert the WAS-NYP portion of NEC into a 300 km/h high speed line for high speed and Regional traffic and divert all other traffic onto the parallel B&O main line (electrifying and widening it).
How is this cheaper or better than just four-tracking from WAS-NYP?
  by bdawe

or, convincing MARC to use fast accelerating commuter EMUs rather than slow diesel trains from overchanging them for electricity.
  by ExCon90

R36 Combine Coach wrote:
daybeers wrote:Yep, one of the big problems there right now is Amtrak and MARC trains getting stuck behind each other.
As I've brought up before, convert the WAS-NYP portion of NEC into a 300 km/h high speed line for high speed and Regional traffic and divert all other traffic onto the parallel B&O main line (electrifying and widening it).
If that means moving the commuter trains over to the B&O, forget it. The present stations on the NEC are largely in the town centers of the places they serve, and who's going to pay for all the new stations required? There are also grade crossings on the B&O. I wouldn't count on CSX agreeing to any of this, even if someone else pays for it.