• Acela and the Green Line

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

by Pete

I don't know if anyone has read today's NY Times article on the Acela, but I can't help but find the whole thing very dismally parallelling the Type 8 purchase. Complete disagreement between manufacturer and purchaser, untested highly-customized vehicle designs, diminished operations to compensate for vehicle limitations.

by Robert Paniagua

LOL very true, except that two different manufacturesrs were involved. First, there were our Breda's T8s, and now, the lemon-Acelaas from Bombardier. Oh boy, I think we may have to send the AEs to the landfill if this is not resolved soon......

As for the T8s, I haven't heard of any more bad news about them. Hope it stays that way.

by AEM7AC920

Whoa, I must say the Breda situation is WORSE. At least when the Acelas came they stayed on the tracks and weren't slapped with a very low penalty restriction because they couldn't stay on the tracks. The Bredas are soo bad the T couldn't even take the full order and all of the Acelas are at least running. Yes the situations are alike but let's not make Breda look good. :wink: :P

by pdxstreetcar

Its like another one of Bombardier's failures, the Las Vegas monorail. A wheel fell off the train onto the ground below and that was only one of the many major problems.