• Accident on Huntington Ave involving 3667.

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

by MBTA1

For anyone interested today around 2:45pm Type 7 3667 (with trailer car 3662) were hit by an SUV. No damage occured to 3667 or the SUV, but it tied up traffic for a good 10 to 15 minutes. Apperantly the Californian woman in the SUV hit the side door of the train and the T and the woman had to exchange information.

I was curious if anyone witnessed the accident or knows anymore about it? I showed up a couple of minutes after and actually rode 3667 in town to North Station.

by 7 Train

I guess she wasn't used to expecting subway-streetcars, if coming from California.

by astrosa

7 Train wrote:I guess she wasn't used to expecting subway-streetcars, if coming from California.
Um...MUNI in San Francisco is structured very similarly to the Green Line, with subway and surface portions of the various lines. Sacramento and San Jose both have street-running LRV systems as well. In Los Angeles, I believe the LRVs run on dedicated right-of-way, but I think San Diego's system also features street-running.

Clearly, being Californian is not an excuse for driving your car into the side of a trolley.

by CSX Conductor

Hit the door? If the door was open for boarding/detraining passengers, I would bet she was cited a ticket for passing the trolley at a station stop.

by Ron Newman

I thought the LA-Long Beach line had street running near the very ends.

by efin98

Ron Newman wrote:I thought the LA-Long Beach line had street running near the very ends.
]

It does.

I was waiting for an E train at Heath Street for quite a while, makes sense now why there was an inspector waiting for the next three trains entering the station... I don't think it was on the street-running stretch, I believe it was on the private right of way as trains were still running albeit late soon after that...

BTW, it was the first time I got a train on the inner loop as opposed to the outer loop :wink:

by MBTA1

I don't know how to quote correctly so I'm just going to do this...

CSX Conductor: "Hit the door?"

The train had picked up passengers at Riverway (South Huntington) and pulled out into the curve and the SUV drove into the 2nd set of doors on the right.

by CSX Conductor

Thanks for the clarification MBTA1. I was assuming the SUV was passing the trolley during a passenger stop.

by efin98

Was it just a clipping with very little if any damage? Sounds like the car and trolley were too close together and neither party were at fault...

by Ron Newman

Since the trolley has no choice but to be where it is (it can't leave the tracks), the SUV driver must be considered to be at fault.

by MBTA1

Absolutly no damage to the train, the SUV had some damage but not severe.

It was more of a scrape, that you could feel and hear but nothing happened. The train continued into North Station and used the middle door at (almost) every stop.

by efin98

Ron Newman wrote:Since the trolley has no choice but to be where it is (it can't leave the tracks), the SUV driver must be considered to be at fault.
Not entirely true. Snow banks and the size of the SUV could have played a factor as well. Spaces on the side of the street aren't designed for SUVs, it could have been a simple matter of not knowing the SUV was too wide for the parking space.

by iandavid

efin98 wrote:Not entirely true. Snow banks and the size of the SUV could have played a factor as well. Spaces on the side of the street aren't designed for SUVs, it could have been a simple matter of not knowing the SUV was too wide for the parking space.
But according to MBTA1's report, the train didn't hit a parked SUV. It was the SUV that drove into the train:
MBTA1 wrote:The train had picked up passengers at Riverway (South Huntington) and pulled out into the curve and the SUV drove into the 2nd set of doors on the right.

by efin98

iandavid wrote:
efin98 wrote:Not entirely true. Snow banks and the size of the SUV could have played a factor as well. Spaces on the side of the street aren't designed for SUVs, it could have been a simple matter of not knowing the SUV was too wide for the parking space.
But according to MBTA1's report, the train didn't hit a parked SUV. It was the SUV that drove into the train:
MBTA1 wrote:The train had picked up passengers at Riverway (South Huntington) and pulled out into the curve and the SUV drove into the 2nd set of doors on the right.
I still hold by what I said. It can happen with such little space.

by MBTA1

The SUV was definatly not parked. The woman from the SUV had pulled over after getting hit, she was driving and hit the train.

Now, it is her fault in the sense that she miscalculated the distance between her car and the train, but thats why it's called an accident.