• A rare look at the 01400 Red Line work train!

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

by octr202

Great photos...thanks for sharing. As someone who got to Boston after they were retired, that the best look I've seen inside the 01400s.

Out of curiosity, in the last page of photos in that gallery, what's the locomotive/car that the last three photos are taken in? Its looks like a diesel switcher of some sort, but I've never seen anything like that before.

by jwhite07

Nice pics, John. I noticed the cars even got some "upgrades" since their revenue service days... flourescent lights and new strip heaters.

I just gotta say taping old baseball cards to the window is wrong. Just wrong.
:-)

by sery2831

The last photos are the controls of a 50 ton center cab plymouth loco. Very odd to see so many switches and "stuff" in there! There is alot more buttons in that than a F40, lol :-) That loco used to be over on the Orange Line, now it sits in Cabot yard. Very odd to see something railroad with subway couplers! I will try to get some pics of the loco sometime.

by Robert Paniagua

Wow!!!! Those are my favourite cars, and you got to look in them??

That's great, thanks for getting those shots, and based on the looks on some of them, there's that small possibility of turning them into a rolling vintage train for future fantrips! :-)

Thanks again, Sery2831 :-)

by AznSumtinSumtin

Holy potato cow! Great pictures! How did you get permission to go into Cabot?

by Robert Paniagua

Also, those photos bring back the BEST memories of when I rode them from when I first moved from Germantown, Montgomery County, MD in 1987 till 1993, when I last rode them. They also reminded me of being in the NYCTA subway, based on they way they looked inside and out.

Also, 01480 was ridden on back in Jan 1980 by a present Forum Participand (RailBus63), so I'm sure he's glad that his favourite car coach is still here.

by octr202

sery2831 wrote:The last photos are the controls of a 50 ton center cab plymouth loco. Very odd to see so many switches and "stuff" in there! There is alot more buttons in that than a F40, lol :-) That loco used to be over on the Orange Line, now it sits in Cabot yard. Very odd to see something railroad with subway couplers! I will try to get some pics of the loco sometime.
Cool...I thought it looked like a diesel switcher, but I agree, I've never seen one so complicated. The only 'industrial' switchers I've been in are GE 44 and 65 tonners, which are a lot "neater" inside.

by San Diego Transit

Nice pics John. Tell the "Attendant" to gimme a call.

by Otto Vondrak

So these cars, they're a work train? They didnt look like they were modified too much. What kind of work does it do?

-otto-

by CSX Conductor

Otto Vondrak wrote:So these cars, they're a work train? They didnt look like they were modified too much. What kind of work does it do?

-otto-
Otto, they are only used to push/pull a work car attached to one end, and carry the track gang. There are usually two work trains that go out of Cabot Yard between midnight & 100am to do their work after the last revenue trains go south of JFK. The second train is a regular 4 car 1500/1600/1700 series consist.

Sery, did you bump to a south side job in Southampton?

by Robert Paniagua

Otto, they are only used to push/pull a work car attached to one end, and carry the track gang. There are usually two work trains that go out of Cabot Yard between midnight & 100am to do their work after the last revenue trains go south of JFK. The second train is a regular 4 car 1500/1600/1700 series consist.

I know they still use it to push pull, but do they have the motors so that they can run under their own power? And they also have an ATO box, but I think it's been disabled, I'll have to look into that.

by sery2831

Yes the ATO has been disabled in the train. But everything is still installed, probally could be restored at some point.

And the cars run extremely good and still make the right sounds :-) :-)

by astrosa

Thanks SO MUCH for posting those photos of the cab interior - they're very hard to come by, as you might imagine!

I only wish the indicators on the ATO/cab signal display box were actually legible. I've been trying for a while now to figure out what the different conditions say...

by Robert Paniagua

sery2831 wrote:Yes the ATO has been disabled in the train. But everything is still installed, probally could be restored at some point.

And the cars run extremely good and still make the right sounds :-) :-)
Oh that's great! however, yes all other items are intact although some of the bench seating will need to be bolted to their foundations, and on 01470, I think, they also have the option of replacing the standee poles but they can leave them out and install and overhead strip pole. I also like the addition of the flourescent lighting in addition to the incandescent style bulbs and I also would favor keeping the heater strips to keep passengers feet warm in the wintertime.

The great feature in the motorperson't cab that I liked and is not present on the newer cars even the 01800s is the "School Bus" fan that's on top of the windshield, I noticed it's the same fan issued on School Buses.