• 8-10 car El trains?

• Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.
Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.

Moderator: AlexC

by Bensalem SEPTA rider

Could the MFL handle 8-10 car trains if the need ever arose?

by jfrey40535

Probablly, most CC stations could easily accomodate that. Some stations near Frankford might be a problem. Any that are too short are most likely lightly patronized stations and could just be made a A or B stop.
  by Michael T. Greene

The platforms are, for the most part, only 6 cars long. On the elevated sections, it wouldn't be too much of a hassle to extend platforms, but in the section east of City Hall, as well as 69th Street, it would be quite expensive to extend all of the platforms to allow for 8 car trains. The line just east of 69th Street would have to be relocated to allow for 8-car platforms.

Later

Michael T. Greene
  by AlexC

Michael T. Greene wrote:The platforms are, for the most part, only 6 cars long. On the elevated sections, it wouldn't be too much of a hassle to extend platforms, but in the section east of City Hall, as well as 69th Street, it would be quite expensive to extend all of the platforms to allow for 8 car trains. The line just east of 69th Street would have to be relocated to allow for 8-car platforms.
Do all the doors have to open at once? Can they be configured to open only certain doors?
  by Michael T. Greene

I wrote:
The platforms are, for the most part, only 6 cars long. On the elevated sections, it wouldn't be too much of a hassle to extend platforms, but in the section east of City Hall, as well as 69th Street, it would be quite expensive to extend all of the platforms to allow for 8 car trains. The line just east of 69th Street would have to be relocated to allow for 8-car platforms.

(Then, Alex wrote:)
Do all the doors have to open at once? Can they be configured to open only certain doors?

Don't know if it's possible, but you'd either need a conductor or platform people necessary to lockout the non-used doors. It's not an original thought...the London Underground used a system similar to what you're proposing on its Northern Line from 1937 to 1939, again, for capacity without extending tunnel platforms, which would have been very expensive even for that era. In this case, most platforms were 7 cars long, and the proposal was for 9 car trains. However, the planning for those trains was a major hassle, and when WWII started, London Underground gave up the idea.
  by Silverliner II

In a sheer twist of irony, let me apply this question to the Broad Street Line...

On the Broad Street main line, all the stations EXCEPT Fern Rock and Pattison can accomodate 8-car trains.

Fern Rock can only hold 5-car trains due to the curves immediately on each end of the platforms.

Pattison (upper level) could hold two 6-car trains on each track, otherwise, 8-car trains there are a breeze. I assume the lower level has the same capacity on each track, but never having been down there, I don't know for sure.

Even if Fern Rock could hold an 8-car train, there is not enough yard space to accomodate the additional equipment needed for 8-car trains any longer. Several tracks on the south side of the yard were removed and others shortened for construction of the loop there.

by Bill R.

Silverliner II wrote:

On the Broad Street main line, all the stations EXCEPT Fern Rock and Pattison can accomodate 8-car trains.
Weren't Race-Vine platforms decreased to 6 car lengths due to Vine Street Expressway construction?

by Silverliner II

Nope....Race-Vine can still accomodate 8-car trains.

During Vine Street Expressway construction, the north mezzanine was demolished and the northernmost of the 2 north stairways was removed.

Of the current setup, the current northernmost stairway to the mezzanine was the 1st of the two, and the current 1st stairway was installed to replave the old northernmost stairway, as the mezzanine was moved south when rebuilt.

The expressway's eastbound lanes partially occupy what used to be the old north mezzanine. The actual train platforms, while blocked off during construction, were never shortened.

Joe
  by Myke Romeo Angel

it would seem like it could be possible. It's been a while since i've been on

the eastern side of the MFL, but i could've sworn it seemed as though

when they re-did the stations on that side the platforms were longer, but

i could be wrong.

With them about to redo the west Philly side, anythings possible.. :P

BUT!, This is SEPTA we are talking about so i doubt it... :(
  by Umblehoon

Myke Romeo Angel wrote:it would seem like it could be possible. It's been a while since i've been on

the eastern side of the MFL, but i could've sworn it seemed as though

when they re-did the stations on that side the platforms were longer, but

i could be wrong.

With them about to redo the west Philly side, anythings possible.. :P

BUT!, This is SEPTA we are talking about so i doubt it... :(
Whether the West Philly / Frankford sides have longer platforms or not is beside the point. How do you intend to pay for extensions to the platforms in the subway portion?