Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

by shadyjay

It happened yesterday... my Metro North trip where I covered all 3 CT branchlines, plus the mainline from New Haven to Stamford. The trip started at New Haven, purchased all my tickets via a TVM. Itinerary was:
NHV-BPT
BPT-WAB-BPT
BPT-SNO
SNO-DAN-SNO
* go to SS 44/Berk Switch Tower Museum *
SNO-STM
STM-NCN-STM
STM-NHV

Trip cost me about $30 in rail tickets and $9 for parking at NHV. All connections were met, except a late arriving SNO-STM train which arrived just as my New Canaan train was leaving, so I had an hour to spend at Stamford. Never rode on the branches before... Waterbury looks like it could easily be double-tracked all the way without too many obstacles. Saw some old signals on the lower half between the mainline and Derby Jct, most likely from the NYNH&H days. One old signal is still lit, SB, before hitting the mainline, with an amber/yellow light and an "A" mark.. I'm guessing Approach? Was also surprised as to how crowded the Waterbury train was, especially heading back to Bridgeport.

My first time riding behind BL20GHs... Waterbury and Danbury both had CDOT-owned units. Both seemed to perform well.

Danbury train had a decent crowd as well. Caught some action at the Danbury Railway Museum from the station parking lot. Shuttle train left the station after unloading and remained in the layover yard on the other side of the DRM until the next train south.

At South Norwalk, they had Tracks 1 & 4 out of service and this was slowing/delaying some trains in the area. Had time to walk over to check out the SS 44/Berk Switch Tower Museum... pretty nice job on the restoration. Amazing how much was involved switching tracks... not just the tracks, but you had to unlock signals at the other end of the switch levers.

New Canaan Branch was "short" but has a really nice station at the end. Also observed one of the M-2s on my train had the original 1970s lettering visible... the two-tone M (not in a circle) with "NEW HAVEN" underneath.

Back at Stamford, made my connecting train back to New Haven, though we had bridge plates from all stations east of Stamford up to Fairfield. Arrived back at New Haven, grabbed a bite to eat, and headed for home.
Pics, and a video are at:
http://picasaweb.google.com/shadyjayvt/ ... chLineTrip#
  by FL9AC

sounds like you had quite an adventure and an equally nice day! Great shots!
  by Noel Weaver

The Waterbury Branch, AKA Naugy, was double track all the way until the early 50's when the second track was for the most
part pulled up although sections were left in for sidings and switching. The second track lasted until the 1955 floods
between Devon and a point east of Ansonia and as far as Derby Junction until pulled up by Metro-North a few years ago.
Many old pictures of the double track on this line in the steam days are still around showing the second track.
I am sure the ROW for the most part would still accomodate a second track but today there is no need for two tracks over
this entire route again.
Noel Weaver
  by Swedish Meatball

The signal you saw going south was an Approach Restricting. They are on the Waterbury, Danbury and Beacon.
  by shadyjay

With one train at a time on the Waterbury, I can't see double tracking the Waterbury either, Noel. However, I was always under the impression that this line doesn't see a lot of ridership. When my SB train left Waterbury on Saturday, I was surprised to see how crowded it was. Not mainline-crowded, but a substantial crowd nevertheless... most transferring at BPT for GCT.

The "approach restricting" signal was interesting to see in a world where most Metro North signals are the ground-mounted (or post mounted) at stations and other locations.

Also there is a pair of older 3 light signals on the wye legs at Devon... similar to those which were mounted up in the catenary. Those in the catenary are still there in South Norwalk, looks like they were "bagged" at one time.