• 3 Car Green Line Train Discussion

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

by danib62

CRail wrote:Emphasis adjusted:
CRail wrote:One point used [as in NOT BY ME] to protect the trailer is that people often try to cross between cars. Not having a person to monitor each car could pose a threat of someone being injured or killed by doing so.

Like I've already explained, I am not the person making this claim. It was an argument made by green line personnel who haven't lived near the line for 20 years, they've operated on the line every day for anywhere up to 30 years or more! Plus, regardless to the extent of its truth, that is what they said.

Once again Dani, we are dwelling on a subject that is not the purpose of this topic. Stop focusing on challenging every point I make, and start focusing on discussing the topic at hand.
Sorry for not properly intuiting your meaning.
  by ck4049

I rode on three car Boeing trains years ago(2003, maybe). Sometimes they would do that during emergencies. :-)
  by MBTA3247

ck4049 wrote:I rode on three car Boeing trains years ago(2003, maybe). Sometimes they would do that during emergencies. :-)
Nothing emergency about that. 3-car trains of Boeings were normal on the D line at rush hour back then.
  by CircusFreakGRITZ

If they used to do 3-car Boeing consists why don't they still do 3-car Type 7/8's? Sometimes I'll be on a packed Riverside train and wonder. Is it just because of current construction? Or because it's not cost-effective/they could just sent more 2-car trains?
  by sery2831

Purely construction. As soon as all the central subway stations are able to hold 3 cars you will see the return of 3 car sets on the Riverside Line.
  by CircusFreakGRITZ

sery2831 wrote:Purely construction. As soon as all the central subway stations are able to hold 3 cars you will see the return of 3 car sets on the Riverside Line.
Cool. How long will that take? Are we just waiting on Copley or are there more?
  by orange1234

Two more; Government Center and Hynes Convention Center are due to be renovated within 3 years. Planning is already well underway for both stations. On the Huntington Ave. branch, Symphony still needs renovation. It is on the same schedule as Wollaston and Hynes Convention Center.
  by CircusFreakGRITZ

orange1234 wrote:Two more; Government Center and Hynes Convention Center are due to be renovated within 3 years. Planning is already well underway for both stations. On the Huntington Ave. branch, Symphony still needs renovation. It is on the same schedule as Wollaston and Hynes Convention Center.
Nooo I don't want them to renovate Hynes...I like it just the way it is, although it does smell kind of bad sometimes. And I hope they keep the 4 exits when they renovate Symphony. Not that I ever get off there...but still.

Anyways, all those stops you mentioned are already capable of holding 3-car trains. So it looks like when Copley is done they might run them again? Sery, you said after the construction is finished in the central subway they will resume the 3-car trains. Do you know that for a fact or are you speculating?
  by orange1234

I know for a fact that the T wants to run 3-car trains. Rick Leary (former COO, he is now the GM of York Region Transit) told me face-to-face last year that he had 75 deuces out during rush hour and would've loved to run some 3-car sets, but he couldn't due to the ongoing station renovations.
  by BostonUrbEx

How many double sets are running at peak hours and how many cars do they have sitting at Riverside during that time? Would they have enough to cover most of the sets running for all lines or is it a D-line-only deal?
  by sery2831

From NE Transit:
Peak vehicle requirement for Green Line is 150 cars (20 two-car trains for Commonwealth, 14 two-car trains for Beacon, 21 two-car trains for Highland branch, 17 two-car trains for Huntington Ave., and 3 two-car run as directed trains )
There are over 180 active cars. With 20/25 in maintenance several 3 car trains car be operated. Traditionally only the D Line has operated 3 car trains.
  by jamesinclair

orange1234 wrote:Two more; Government Center and Hynes Convention Center are due to be renovated within 3 years. Planning is already well underway for both stations. On the Huntington Ave. branch, Symphony still needs renovation. It is on the same schedule as Wollaston and Hynes Convention Center.
From what I remember, Hynes renovation was deferred indefinitely. Perhaps the MBTA is hoping that the developer of the mass pike air rights will be made responsible?

Government center has been next in line for renovation for a good 5 years now. Fortunately, the platforms are long enough for a 3 car train even when sections are closed off.

I think that once Copley is done (this year) 3 car trains will happen, but only to accommodate red sox games and other special events (marathons and such). Beyond that, the only way I can see 3 car trains running full time is if only one operator is needed per train.
  by jwhite07

Traditionally only the D Line has operated 3 car trains.
In the last round of semi-regular 3-car operation, you'd occasionally see a 3-car train on the B as well.
  by ck4049

I saw lots of those. I usually rode the 3 car Boeing trains on Beacon St. :-)
  by diburning

I remember riding 3-car boeings and 3-car Type 7s (yes, they did run the type 7s in 3 car sets) and it felt really disorienting when getting off and looking around and seeing a longer than usual train (while in the central subway).

When the type 7s were modified to trainline with the type 8s, they got the same box/system as the type 8s. Now, the big question is, does the software allow for 3-car operation? Has anyone tried it? Did they have 3-car operation in mind when they built the type 8s?