• 2014 Discussion for Commuter Rail Delays

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

by tvachon

Last night the 419 (5:05 to Fitchburg) had major slippery rail issues and was heavy. We had two R-Cars and a 1000 series engine (if I remember right). We were going under 10mph from Hastings to Concord and were nearly stuck once coming into Lincoln. The HSP's could be really handy right now on the Fitchburg line since they seem to have the power to pull a double double which was pretty crowed.
  by sery2831

From what I am told you do not want a new HSP in these conditions. They are too powerful and just spin the wheels on the slippery rail. Yesterday was the worst day we have seen so far this Fall for slippery rail by far. My trains overshot several platforms at slow speeds.
  by 8th Notch

tvachon wrote:Last night the 419 (5:05 to Fitchburg) had major slippery rail issues and was heavy. We had two R-Cars and a 1000 series engine (if I remember right). We were going under 10mph from Hastings to Concord and were nearly stuck once coming into Lincoln. The HSP's could be really handy right now on the Fitchburg line since they seem to have the power to pull a double double which was pretty crowed.
All the power means nothing on slippery rail.... I thought the AC traction would be an improvement over the DC locos however it seems that some more software mods need to be performed, I was disappointed the other night! Can't blame the HSP's fully since the conditions are getting brutal.
  by jaymac

0542/10-24-2014, 402 reported air trouble at CPF-FG to D-3. Service Alerts as of 0800 indicate it wasn't a quick fix.
Pre-and-post 0700, Boston West very busy with Lowell Line juggling, Service Alerts again confirming.
  by tvachon

8th Notch wrote:All the power means nothing on slippery rail.... I thought the AC traction would be an improvement over the DC locos however it seems that some more software mods need to be performed, I was disappointed the other night! Can't blame the HSP's fully since the conditions are getting brutal.
Interesting, do 010 or 011 show the same traits? As much as I don't like to share my lap with 30 of. Y closest friends, for the remainder of the season, maybe Fitchburg should be (as much as I love sharing my lap) limited to at most one double.

I think we all know the Waltham to Concord stretch outbound it's bad, it's worse when you are slipping and stalling on the single track after Lincoln blocking the inbounds.
  by 8th Notch

The 010/011 are DC units with only 3,600 hp so they handle differently. Not drifting too far off topic, the most effective defense against the slippery rail is the wash train and sanding. Keolis came out with a neat little video on slippery rail (better then the MBCR one IMO.)

http://vimeo.com/m/109820783" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
  by StefanW

Train 127 died at Chelsea. It took about 15-20 min. to get things going again, but while 177 was passing it on the opposite track the 127 crapped out again. A report I have from a friend on 127 is that they are going to use another set as a rescue, probably train 67. Right now they are stopped in Revere opposite the Rt. 1A/60/16 rotary.
  by StefanW

StefanW wrote:Train 127 died at Chelsea. It took about 15-20 min. to get things going again, but while 177 was passing it on the opposite track the 127 crapped out again. A report I have from a friend on 127 is that they are going to use another set as a rescue, probably train 67. Right now they are stopped in Revere opposite the Rt. 1A/60/16 rotary.
Looks like I'm right. They just cancelled 68 (which 67 becomes at Beverly) and announced:
T Alert wrote:Newburyport/Rockport Line Train 67 (4:45 pm from North Station) delayed in excess of 15 minutes today due to No. 127 mechanical problem.
  by StefanW

To my surprise, it looks like they are continuing on after Lynn with the 67 / 127 pair. I would have thought they would put everyone off at Lynn on the center-high-level and let them get picked up by 181 and/or 131, but I guess not.

Here's an unusual sight... If I'm not mistaken, this is four consists occupying three consecutive signal blocks!
67-rescue-of-127-e.png
  by ACeInTheHole

StefanW wrote:They are joining up...
67-rescue-of-127.png
What was pushig67?
  by deathtopumpkins

Is there a speed restriction on the Eastern Route inbound track between Salem and Swampscott? The past 3 mornings we've only gone about 15 mph from the middle of the Salem tunnel to before the switch for the Pan Am customer there. Outbound trains on the other track come by at normal speed.
  by sery2831

Right now it's 20 mph passing the new platform. That is temporary until they can move the tracks to properly align with the platform.
Headed west(inbound), when you make your station stop at Salem you pass an interlocking signal. This makes you delayed in interlocking and you must operate at restricted speed until you see the next signal. The entire tunnel is an interlocking for those that look up the rule.