• 2014 Discussion for Commuter Rail Delays

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

by ns3010

sery2831 wrote:The 1008 suffered a e-bell failure and was capped by the 3247 for a little bit. The 3247 was in revenue service for a short time.

Does the 3247 have MU capabilities with the cab cars? Or was it offline, and just acting as an additional cab car on the head end?
  by MetroBostonRailways

Train #323 to Lowell had an emergency at West Medford. A firetruck and ambulance was called to pick up a passenger in bad condition. This caused the train to be about 10-15 minutes late.
  by 8th Notch

ns3010 wrote:
sery2831 wrote:The 1008 suffered a e-bell failure and was capped by the 3247 for a little bit. The 3247 was in revenue service for a short time.

Does the 3247 have MU capabilities with the cab cars? Or was it offline, and just acting as an additional cab car on the head end?
The 3247 can be setup to run from a cab car, I have done it in the past before when it was set out to rescue my broken down set.
  by StefanW

Train 131 (Rockport, express to Salem) made an unscheduled stop at Chelsea to meet the police. (Not sure which agency.) Usually that's someone getting tossed for being a butthead or worse.

131 is now 15-20 min. late, and us on train 183 behind it are about 10-15 min. late.

It never ceases to amaze me how one selfish bozo can inconvenience many hundreds of people.
  by sery2831

ns3010 wrote:

Just a small tidbit of info. Locomotives cannot be used as cab cars. They MUST be on-line unless they have had a failure and are being rescued.
  by GP40MC1118

131 / 183 delays were for trespassers (girls playing chicken) around the
Forbes/Chelsea Creek area. Local requested a shutdown while the ferreted
them out.

D
  by sery2831

diburning wrote:Is that a physical/mechanical limitation, or just not done because of rules/policy?
Federal law.

And the 1008 has an electronic bell, it would not stop ringing, so the breaker for it had to be shut off.
  by StefanW

I didn't get any unit numbers other than the CTC on the front consist, but whatever trip was being headed up inbound to North Station with 1633 in front must have crapped out and been rescued and shoved in. There was a double-draft (two trainsets) on Track 1 when I passed through 25 min. ago. I'll see if I can dig up the train numbers from the data I save from my mapping app.
  by StefanW

StefanW wrote:I didn't get any unit numbers other than the CTC on the front consist, but whatever trip was being headed up inbound to North Station with 1633 in front must have crapped out and been rescued and shoved in. There was a double-draft (two trainsets) on Track 1 when I passed through 25 min. ago. I'll see if I can dig up the train numbers from the data I save from my mapping app.

Very odd. The data show that the consist with 1633 today came in as train 408 from Fitchburg and went out as train 161 to Newburyport, both quite normally.

Is it possible that the set headed by 1633 was towing in a dead set from Fitchburg?
  by jbvb

Congestion in Lawrence 8/14 about 5:30 PM: As my 4:30 outbound passed through Lawrence toward Bradford, I saw 1) a WB freight extending out of the west yard lead onto the easterly main towards Frye, 2) an MBTA consist moving East (awfully late if it was the 3:00 PM outbound, going the wrong way to be it returning to Boston) on the easterly track by Lawrence Yard, 3) a (late) WB Downeaster waiting for us to enter the Bradford stub track (westerly) at Frost, and finally 4) the EB DE that usually overtakes us near Ward Hill.
  by Komarovsky

Day 2 of more speed restrictions and delays on the Worcester line. Yesterday the restrictions were only between Framingham and Worcester but today they've once again flopped back to being from Boston to Worcester. Delays are popping up at between 30min to 1 hour today depending on the train.

Edit: And as of 6:00pm they're cancelled all along the line. I'm both happy and quite confused at the same time.
  by MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

Komarovsky wrote:Day 2 of more speed restrictions and delays on the Worcester line. Yesterday the restrictions were only between Framingham and Worcester but today they've once again flopped back to being from Boston to Worcester. Delays are popping up at between 30min to 1 hour today depending on the train.

Edit: And as of 6:00pm they're cancelled all along the line. I'm both happy and quite confused at the same time.
Believe me, we are just as confused as you are...no pattern to these restrictions COVE-CP45 COVE-CP21 CP21-CP45...7:30pm 4:08p-6:15p...we have yet to get a straight answer ourselves, so I have no additional helpful information as to why...but will post when I hear. The only thing I know is that the track is Class 3?? and this was the reason for the heat restrictions since before time CSX and now MBTA...but as to current restrictions, no clue