• 2013 predictions

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

by northjerseybuff

Well its that time of the year again. And before someone beats me to it..the first prediction will be another thread for 2014 will be created.
So lets see what NJT will accomplish in 2013-Lets keep it to realistic projects and not a wish list
1. The rest of the dual modes arrive
2. More multi-levels arrive
3. Westmont station along the BCL begins construction
4. AC Line/River Line station is completed
5. Work continues to Andover??
6. Northern Branch News...been a year since the meetings in Tenafly
7. Amtrak Gateway tunnel moves forward
Lets hope we have good weather which doesn't throw a wrench into budgets. The last 2 years were horrible with megastorms
  by morris&essex4ever

1. At this time next year, there will be a thread for 2014 predictions.
2. The ALP 45 is used on either a Midtown Direct west of Dover/MSU or NJCL train from Bayhead.
3. Trees will fall on catenary.
4. Scorecard will get mediocre results and some people will think the results are accurate.
5. Portal Bridge will get stuck.
6. No big storms
7. More Arrows are retired.
8. Work slowly continues on the cutoff but service is still 10+ years away from being restored.
9. MOM will get nowhere.
10. Cruiser and Uzi will be missed.
  by R36 Combine Coach

The GP40FH units returning from Montreal will return to service and (just perhaps) along with the Arrow I/Comet I-B push-pulls stored as well.
  by fishball

not all pre-sandy service will be restored. NJ Transit uses the storm as a reason to reduce hoboken service on the montclair-boonton line.

damaged cars and locomotives take forever to reenter service
  by ns3010

northjerseybuff wrote:1. The rest of the dual modes arrive
You're a little late on that...

That was from Thanksgiving weekend, by the way. Not sure when it actually arrived.
  by Hawaiitiki

Good Ones:

1. Seven day a week shuttle service to the Meadowlands if American Dream Meadowlands opens on time(Fall 2013)
2. NJT releases statement about future through NEC services to Philly 30th.
3. No Superstorm
4. NJT explores second Waterfront Connection Track

Bad Ones:

1. Nowhere on MOM
2. Nowhere on Passaic Bergen Line that was supposed to be a done deal
3. Still no regular dual mode service into Manhattan
4. Nowhere on another South Jersey Light Rail Line or Commuter Line
5. Nowhere on Pburg RVL extension
6. Nowhere on West Trenton
7. Nowhere on Hunter Flyover
8. Nowhere on any electrification expansion(perhaps Port Morris but severely doubt it)
9. Sandy outrage dies down, and NJT uses the opportunity to quietly hold nobody accountable and just say it won't happen again
  by coolcat

first ide like to say we all deserve a great pat on the back for surviving the end of the world, quite impressive.
no predictions really. but yea. things stuff places people.
  by R3 Passenger

I don't know why I even bother to weigh in on this topic, But I see the following occurring:

1. Lots of talk, very little observable action: After completing all repairs from Sandy, I think that the Feds are going to short NJT on some of the disaster funds they are owed. There will be discussion as to who is going to pay for it. I expect a budget battle over the costs of flood and storm damage mitigation as well, with fare hikes forced to the table by politics. No expansions of geographical or operational service will occur. No new constructions will advance (any phase), either (I'm talking about everything, including Portal and Gateway).

2. No Dual Modes into NYP...: I am thinking that we will see Dual Modes on the NJCL and WORM runs into Hoboken. NJT is going to run these things where and when they can outside of New York in order ensure all problems are worked out. I also see rare occasions where you will find Dual Modes on the ACL as a result of shop moves.

3. ...until late fall: This would probably begin with the last schedule change of the year. I see them running on weekends only, mostly on the NJCL. They will probably be running off-peak into NYP in the beginning of 2014, and shifted to peak in the fall of 2014.

4. Testing of Silverliner V and other MU equipment: The Arrows are starting to drop. No disrespect to the NJT shop crews and the amazing work they do, but NJT will start shopping for an off-the-shelf MU, including the Silverliner V and whatever M series that Metro North has just ordered for the New Haven Line (I believe it's up to M8?). If this does occur, the Silverliner V will probably be tested on the Gladstone Branch, and the M8 on the NEC.

5. Pennsauken Transfer: Yep, that should be finished. Hell will be raised if it is not, and will probably see only mediocre usage.

6. RR.net Status Quo: Unfounded speculation by all usual parties will continue, Uzi and Cruiser will probably just lurk, and Jeff Smith will continue to rule with an awesome fist. Also, Chillax Penguin may make a few appearances.

That is all. Carry on.
  by CNJ Fan 4evr

I'm no Nastrodomus but I CAN prdict this: The NJ budget will still be a disaster so don't look for much.
Cut Off service through NJ and into PA.....MAYBE before my 19 year old nephew reaches the age of 99.
In the same note, service to P'burg/LV...same time frame.
  by ACeInTheHole

ns3010 wrote:
northjerseybuff wrote:1. The rest of the dual modes arrive
You're a little late on that...

That was from Thanksgiving weekend, by the way. Not sure when it actually arrived.
And its in service.
  by M1 9147

Ah, along with F40PH-2CAT 4124, it's in Morristown & Erie Shops! Guess no room to store this stuff, lol!
  by MBTA1016

morris&essex4ever wrote:1. At this time next year, there will be a thread for 2014 predictions.
2. The ALP 45 is used on either a Midtown Direct west of Dover/MSU or NJCL train from Bayhead.
3. Trees will fall on catenary.
4. Scorecard will get mediocre results and some people will think the results are accurate.
5. Portal Bridge will get stuck.
6. No big storms
7. More Arrows are retired.
8. Work slowly continues on the cutoff but service is still 10+ years away from being restored.
9. MOM will get nowhere.
10. Cruiser and Uzi will be missed.
I agree with the above except 6. Hurricanes are strangely becoming common in the NYC/Boston area. Throw in a snow storm for laughs and you got a big storm on your hands.

Number 3 is an automatic if the catenary is cutting through trees.
  by ACeInTheHole

M1 9147 wrote:Ah, along with F40PH-2CAT 4124, it's in Morristown & Erie Shops! Guess no room to store this stuff, lol!
No, it is out on the rails, more than likely it was prepped for service in the M&E shops and then cut loose on revenue trains, I saw it yesterday pulling one
  by nick11a

beanbag wrote:
M1 9147 wrote:Ah, along with F40PH-2CAT 4124, it's in Morristown & Erie Shops! Guess no room to store this stuff, lol!
No, it is out on the rails, more than likely it was prepped for service in the M&E shops and then cut loose on revenue trains, I saw it yesterday pulling one
Yeah, it was working on the Gladstone Branch yesterday.