• 2011 Walthers Passenger train is PRR Broadway Limited

• Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.
Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.

Moderators: 3rdrail, stilson4283, Otto Vondrak

by p42thedowneaster

Great news! I love the Pennsy!
I find it interesting that the E unit has antique PRR antennas and modern ditch lights!
  by Amtrak207

I've noticed that myself, but when the 20th Century came out, they originally showed the earlier version of the 20th Century Obs car instead of the 1948 Creek series on the pre-artwork of the 2009 HO Scale Reference book.

So I am chalking it up to that Lol! Since Walthers said on their Facebook page it is a "famous east-west" PRR train.

-Tom
  by Rick Abramson

I wonder if it will be the "Fleet of Modernism" or the post-war B'way. Based on their P2K E7, I'd probably wager on the post-war version.
  by Amtrak207

Yea I am going with post war myself, with the distinctive blunt end observation like KATO did in N scale.

NOW... which will be on the blunt end obs? The PRR Keystone Broadway herald or the "BROADWAY LIMITED" in caps as in later years.

-Tom
  by green_elite_cab

p42thedowneaster wrote:Great news! I love the Pennsy!
I find it interesting that the E unit has antique PRR antennas and modern ditch lights!
the artists probably took a look at one of the now PRR painted former Conrail OCS units (themselves form PRR except for 4022, which was Lackawanna). They have these details on them.
  by ApproachMedium

They probably looked at Bennet Levin's PRR E8 engines. I dont think his have the train phone antennas but they do have ditch lights mounted in that same location as the drawn image on the cover of the catalog. This is great though, I can finally get all the right cars to make a broadway limited!!! Too bad it will never run and I may never be able to afford them. Lets see what they will be this time around, I predict $70 a car!
  by NJTRailfan

I think I'll be lucky if I can afford a few of those cares an one loco out of the whole collection. I'm hoping that the following year Walthers will do the Phoebe Snow or shock us all and do the CNJ Blue Comet. This would be their first steam loco set if they did the latter.

Does anyone know if they'll add a GG-1 to this or not?
  by ApproachMedium

Gonna be tough for them to add a G. I dont plan on buying any of their expensive locomotives. I have a set of Alco FA-2s with sound that will blow anything they sell out of the water, and may just outpull it too. I also have one of the BLI GG1s to go with it also. For now both engines pull around my long strings of PRR boxcars since every PRR passenger car I have come to buy has SOME kind of problem that prevents me from operating it. I think im up to something like 40 boxcars now? I have almost 20 that are just X29!
  by NJTRailfan

Hey Approach, I have my passenger cars on static display when they have to be serviced. Does anyone know where I can get a list of name cars the PRR used on the BL? All I know of so far is the Mountain View Obs. Would love the see the list of name cars.

Thanks
  by ApproachMedium

I will have to dig around. At some point a friend of mine who has a huge log of old PRR information sent me consist info. I dont recall what I did with it but when I find it I will add it to this thread.
  by Amtrak207

I can't wait to place my reservation for this train (no pun intended!)

It has been noted on another forum, that Walthers announced (not on their website) but an HO Scale Super Chief. I had to check the date of the post myself since the Super Chief WAS their first named passenger train. The info can be found here:

http://www.modelrailroadforums.com/foru ... post188038

If this is true, that explains the Santa Fe F7A above the PRR train.

If this is true, I am curious as to why they would re-introduce this famed train without a correct "Palm" series sleeper; which was omitted in the first run. I would like to have a complete Super Chief set with accurate cars, so hopefully a Palm series sleeper will be included.

I also have to admit, their current UP City of Everywhere series is simply fantastic, I saw these cars in person, and was blown away, and I don't even model UP.

Looking forward to the PRR Broadway Limited, as my 20th Century Limited needs some competition! :)

To "NJTRailfan" here ya go:

1950 Broadway Limited Equipment Assignments

The 1950 PRR New York Division consist book listed the following sleepers by name and configuration assigned to the Broadway Limited, trains #28 and #29. NOTE: this is only for sleeping cars!

21 Roomette
Massillon Inn
Grand Rapids Inn
Ravenna Inn

10-6 Double Bedroom
Manistee Rapids
Conemaugh Rapids
Little Miami Rapids
Catawissa Rapids
Schuylkill Rapids

4-4-2
Imperial Bower