• #2 Red Line 01700s UTDC car questions

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

by Robert Paniagua

I see.

So, would they be repainted exteriorwise to make it look better?

And IMHO, they should retrofit them with AC Traction, I feel they should be able to trainline with the 01800s rather than the 01600s, which should be allowed to deteriorate.

Just my opinion.

by typesix

Yes, it would be nice like the Philadelphia PCC AC conversion. Also with the electronic motor controls an effective anti-lock braking system is easier to implement along with smoother train operation.

by octr202

In order to retrofit to AC, wouldn't you probably be talking about basically gutting the cars down to carbodies and trucks and starting over? At that price tag would it be just as cost-effective to build the AC propulsion package into new cars rather than ones that are close to 20 years old?

by mattster

If they're going through a mid-life overhaul what does that say about the 1600s? Are they going to put in a new car order as well?

I understand that the T is in massive debt, but how does every other major transit system in the country manage to keep modern equipment on all of its lines?

by octr202

mattster wrote:If they're going through a mid-life overhaul what does that say about the 1600s? Are they going to put in a new car order as well?

I understand that the T is in massive debt, but how does every other major transit system in the country manage to keep modern equipment on all of its lines?
Um, they don't. NYCTA has often run cars that are 40-50 years old, SEPTA has at times been a rolling transit museum with railroad and transit equipment that's getting close to eligible for Social Security, the CTA's oldest cars are from 1969, and even the Washington Metro has cars in daily service that are about 30 years old.

by Robert Paniagua

In order to retrofit to AC, wouldn't you probably be talking about basically gutting the cars down to carbodies and trucks and starting over? At that price tag would it be just as cost-effective to build the AC propulsion package into new cars rather than ones that are close to 20 years old?

Actually, they redid WMATA's Breda #3 Cars which are 20 years old also, and that's why I think the 01700s, nearing age 20, should have the AC traction and a new paint scheme just like the 01800s.