• Would CSX consider hiring someone that uses a hearing aid?

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

by netguysc

Hi,

I am a 38 year old former baker and am considering applying for the University of North Florida railroad course in order to possibly get a job at CSX of Florence, SC.

During my teenage years I developed a severe hearing loss in my right ear. I have never worn a hearing aid but I see that CSX requires "good hearing" in order to be considered for employment.

Do you think CSX would consider hiring someone who wears a hearing aid?

by Otto Vondrak

If hearing is critical to your work at CSX, then yes, they may have some reservations about hiring you.

by netguysc

I was hoping to get a job as a conductor.

by GN 599

I work with guys who have hearing aids. As long as it functions as intended and aids your hearing it wont be a problem. One guy I work with has hearing aids from hearing damage in the military. I would'nt worry about it. The only thing I have heard of guys having a problem with is being color blind. Thats the big one. Heck half the old heads out here cant hear anything anyway. I say go for it. :-D