• Working Pine-Aire

• Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
  by Teutobergerwald

Does NYA power switching Pine-Aire pull consists into the spur that branches off the sidind east of the Sagtikos Parkway overpass to pull out the outgoing cars spotted on the spur, thus creating a situation where the power is located in the middle of the train? Was it done this way before the derailment that wrecked the west end switch of the siding, or is it the bitter fruit of neither the LIRR or NYA stepping up and repairing the west-end switch? Thanks.
  by Teutobergerwald

The land alongside the siding on the east side of the Sagtikos Pkwy. is being cleared. What's going on ???
  by jayrmli

Probably clearing the land for the yard expansion.
  by tahawus84

Whats the new yard going to look like?
  by Teutobergerwald

Is land just being cleared east of the Sagtikos Pkwy. overpass? What will this all look like?
  by peanut1

A little off topic, over the last few days coming home from school I noticed west of the brentwood railroad station their is an old lot that had a building torn down recently. I went through their today on my way to school and all of the brush along the track area around the lot has been cleared and their was a bunch of workmen working their as well. Does anybody have an idea as to what maybe going on at this site?
  by Teutobergerwald

Passed over N/B on the Sagtikos Pkwy. around 6:40pm and there was a track crew working on the existing siding and in the area cleared on the north side of the tracks. Any info to share about what is being done? Thanks.
  by SlackControl

This is a good sign for NYAR. After seeing their business drop off on the Montauk branch, it's good to see the mainline getting more business. I was past the BRT at Sill's Rd by train for the first time today. That facility is HUGE! I wonder if this expansion of the Pilgrim freight siding is to support this added traffic.

Also, diverting the topic a little bit....between the Brookhaven labs spur, and the old Calverton siding it looks like a new switch was added. Looking at Google Maps, the switch is facing point to the north when going westbound, and continues north along Connecticut Ave and runs up to the Calverton Executive Park, and in the satellite image, it looks like the right of way was freshly dug out.
  by jayrmli

That is a new "old" siding. It's a three mile spur back to the old Grumman Calverton facility.

If you think the Brookhaven Rail Terminal property looks huge now...give it time...

Jay
  by Teutobergerwald

Stacks of ties are along the siding. This morning it looked like some work was being done at the west end of the siding. Anyone else have more particulars?
  by tahawus84

isnt that the switch for the calverton park that was installed about a year ago?

Has the brt recieved anything besides stone yet?
  by jayrmli

They just started taking biodiesel cars this week.

Jay
  by Teutobergerwald

Sections of pre-assembled track were stacked along the existing siding this afternoon. Anyone have more info about this project ? Thanks.
  by tj48

Is it just one track or more? Is the old Pilgrim State track included in this work?