• WNY&P WANTS 6-8 six axle Alcos

• Discussion pertaining to the past and present operations of the LAL, the WNYP, and the B&H. Official site: LALRR.COM.
Discussion pertaining to the past and present operations of the LAL, the WNYP, and the B&H. Official site: LALRR.COM.

Moderator: Luther Brefo

by Alcoman

According to Railpace, the railroad is looking for 6-8 6-axle Alco type locomotives to use on its new line near Olean,NY.
My question, where are there 6-8 units of this kind avaliable? Cartier is the only place I know of that has anywhere near this many and as far as I know they are not selling them anytime soon. (Someone correct me if I am wrong)

The only other answer is for the railroad to pick up single units that are scattered all over the world. There may be as many as three in Canada (other than Cartier) 1-CN unit in storage, 1-3 in Museums/and display and maybe 1 or 2 owned a dealer,
There is still one at GE (Erie) 1 at Minnesota Commercial (Cat repowered)
and maybe one in Indiania owned by Powell Felix. (CBCNS 2028)

Anyone have any other ideas?

by Tadman

How many more does Cartier have? I thought the big C/M's were gone and replaced by GE's. Also, I'm no industry insider so I might be way off here - but had CN not run all those ex-WC SD45's into the ground, couldn't this be a prime customer to buy those units now? [assuming WNYP would buy EMD in addition to Alco]

by sallenparks

Well they could try getting the Cartier's back from the Q.If memorie is right there are four former Robe C/M636's in Aussie imagine the shipping cost on that.Where else Mexico MAYBE HUGE MAYBE other then that Alcoman I think you got all the others.

by Tadman

I would assume the standards of maintenance to the mexican units plus their 2+ year retirement would lend new definition to the term "hit or miss".

And here's another great fleet that could've been sold to the short lines - C&NW's ex-N&W C628's. If I remember, there was 28 of 'em. It would've meant you could run 20 of them and keep 8 for parts.

by pablo

Forgive the thoughts...but I'm sure that the WNYP would stay far away from EMD's, especially the -45's, which were gas hogs. ALCO's are exceptional in regards to fuel efficiency, and -45's...not so much.

What's left in Mexico? I thought anything left down there was now a "Display?"

I would also hazard a guess that the WNYP will neither be getting something from Australia nor a new 6-axle from India.

This all assumes that RailPace has a clue what they are talking about.

Dave Becker

by sallenparks

Does the 73 count towards this count.

by sallenparks

I got it the HR616's that NRE still has.

by RS-3

For the life of me I can't figure out why they would need that many. There just isn't that much traffic between Driftwood and Olean is there? I'd think the 73 and 4 or 5 more 4-axles should do the trick for now. (Not that I wouldn't mind seeing them pick up 6-8 six axle Alcos. The NYS&W would be the best best.)

RS

by pablo

I doubt the HR616's will ever move under their own power again, but I'd be thrilled to be wrong. They were badly misnamed as "HR" units, when they were far from it.

Dave Becker

by RS-3

I'd agree with Dave. NRE has been far more interested in selling parts than units. (Know anyone who has purchased a single unit from them in the past 5 years?)

RS

by sallenparks

It was a thought fella's.

by pablo

Sorry, sallenparks...I didn't mean to say something bad about you. Just commenting on the HR's. I had actually forgotten about them.

Dave Becker

by sallenparks

That's all right didn't take it personally just trying to guess where they can get these big Alco's from idea's idea's idea's.No hard feels here sorry if it came off that way.
  by Sandy Burton

John,

Where in Railpace did you find a reference to the WNY&P needing a bunch of six-axle Alcos? I just looked through both the March and April issues and can find no mention of this. Maybe my eye-sight is failing at my advanced age, so help me.

Thanks.

Sandy

by Alcoman

Sandy,
Look in the MAY issue. Page 47. 1/2 way down the page.