• Will the D&H/NS restructuring affect the Montreal Second

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

by xcnoah

Anyone know if/how the new CN/NS/D&H deal will affect the Montreal Secondary? Will CN through traffic be pulled off the Massena line in favor for the D&H?

by SRS125

I wondered the same thing my self. I rember reading somthing about the CN at first abandonding there trackage rights into Buffalo. Trackage over the Montreal sec picked up for a while when that was brought up. Traffic had been steady for quite some time over the summer. Some CN Locos would by pass the wye in Syracuse which starts the Montral sec and just go to strate to Buffalo outhers were poping up in trains starting in Buffalo go as far as Syracuse and would eather reverse there trip to Buffalo or join trains going to Montreal.
As for the CP there have been quite a few of them runing around on CSX over this summer from buffalo to Albany and back I have seen trains being lead by SD90/43MAC's, SD40-3's SD40's, SD60F,s GP38's and seveal outhers There was also a little SOO Power SD60's and SD40-2's in the mix as well.

by roadster

I thought the deal was between CP/NS and D&H. If CN is in fact going to run from Montreal down the D&H to Albany this will indeed further reduce traffic on the St. Lawrence Sub (aka Monteal 2ndary CR). As of Sept. 13, '04 CN crews no longer came down to Masenna NY, but were recrewing with CSX crews at the border.

by SRS125

CN recrew in Fort Coveington with CSX or still in Massena??

by roadster

I am not sure of the cities name but it's at the Canadian border. CN crews no longer come to Massena. A CSX crew is cabed to the Border for the recrew and brings the train to Massena. The same in reverse, CSX crew takes train to border and CN crews it from there North.

by SRS125

gee they changed it then I rember the CN Crews taxiing or take a train to Massena. Make a few phone calls to the Montral dispater all calls in french they would sit and weaght for any wheres from half to one hour for for the north bound train they were to take. Fort Covington was always a coustoms office I my self can rember makeing a few phone calls from there back yars ago in my R.R. Days.

by roadster

yes, CN stop coming to Massena on Sept 13, and CSX crews have cabed to Covenington since.
  by jbeckley68

I see quite a bit of CN traffic (Or at least CN power) in Syr , will this new plan effect the traffic here?

by roadster

It's very possible that the CN has pulled their crews back north of the border in expectation of a possible future move of sending this frieght down the D&H instead of through Massena to Sryacuse and Selkirk. Most of the CN power you see in Dewitt is this Selkirk to Massena to Canada daily trains (Q621 and Q620). If this happens you won't see the CN stuff at Dewitt except passing through on trains through from Selkirk and Buffalo.

by charlie6017

So, has traffic slowed up any on this line yet with the CP Rail (D&H), NS, CN deal??
  by xcnoah

I would say that in the past two weeks traffic has most definitely increased significantly. Last thursday i watched a CN syracuse-montreal freight through Canton, NY with 5 SDs (one an IC unit) and around 130 cars, mostly boxes and empty bulkhead flats.

Last night i also counted 6 or 7 trains between 10 PM and 6 AM which is much more significant than normal. Lots of covered hoppers on the line (salt?) and lots of ALCOA chemicals and supplies to and from Massena. The CN trains are heavy with boxes and lumber and intermodal as well.

by ANDY117

Does this mean more traffic here in Bingo?

by RSD15

no these trains run from montreal to selkirk

by ANDY117

Where is Selkirk?

by charlie6017

Andy,
Selkirk is south of Albany. Selkirk has a large classification yard.